Swarovski - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-24-2019, 11:21 AM

Swarovski

Today I mounted a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X44 P BT L 4W rifle scope on my Browning X-Bolt Medallion FLD .30-06.

I have Leupold optics on all my rifles and never gave Swarovski a second though. Through effort and generosity I got this one for free. Leupold has been the bellwether for our family hunting and sporting rifles for as long as I can remember.

When I had the chance to get one for free I wasn't really on board until I began to learn more about them. No, I won't be replacing any of the Leupold scopes on my other rifles.

Besides the exceptional glass and coatings this Z5 has the ballistic turret that the shooter uses preset distances with the use of Swarovski Ballistic Program.

Ballistic turrets specific to a given rifle ammo is gaining ground.

Nikon has the BDC reticle and an app where you enter the type of rifle scope, the brand and type of ammo and it'll provide the hold over for each point throughout the zoom range.

Leupold has the CDS-ZL 2 system similar to Swarovski. Both have a custom dial/zero stop available based on the type of ammo you use. That dial replaces the ring system of Swarovski and the standard Zero Lock dial of Leupold.

I heard that Nikon is leaving the rifle scope business, Zeiss has discontinued most of their rifle scope line and Weaver is also discontinuing its scope line.

A lot of consolidation in the rifle optics business.
Attached Thumbnails
1124190925_HDR.jpg  

Colt MkIV O1970A1CS
FN Hi Power
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
Old 11-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Swarovski is some of the best optics for binocs and scopes on the market. Enjoy.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 11-24-2019, 10:04 PM

Swarovski is one of the few companies that manufactures their own crystal, as I understand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 11:47 PM

They make some decent glass.

And you could certainly do a lot worse. But they will never be in the same level as Schmidt and Bender or Hensoldt. Actually I think that Kahles does a little better than Swarovski for about the same money.

I would love to be able to put S&B glass on every rifle that I own. But that is not really feasible for me. I have found that IOR Valdada makes quality glass that I can generally live with price wise. A lot of my rifles wear IOR glass, which I have generally speaking been pretty pleased with. Additionally Leupold has some pretty (good for the money) glass that I like as well.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:04 PM

Congratulations on the Swarovski scope. I went the cheaper route with a Zeiss scope for my FN SCAR 17. A Schmidt & Bender PMII would be nice, but, a Swarovski is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
And you could certainly do a lot worse. But they will never be in the same level as Schmidt and Bender or Hensoldt. Actually I think that Kahles does a little better than Swarovski for about the same money.

I would love to be able to put S&B glass on every rifle that I own. But that is not really feasible for me. I have found that IOR Valdada makes quality glass that I can generally live with price wise. A lot of my rifles wear IOR glass, which I have generally speaking been pretty pleased with. Additionally Leupold has some pretty (good for the money) glass that I like as well.
In addition to the glass, the coatings are tremendously important. If you have a bunch of stray reflections bouncing around inside your optics, the quality of the glass won't matter.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
In addition to the glass, the coatings are tremendously important. If you have a bunch of stray reflections bouncing around inside your optics, the quality of the glass won't matter.
Agreed. Many years ago I had a Redfield Widefield 2 - 7x on my .300 Win. Mag. and it worked for about 20 years, until the coatings started to wear off (back in the 70's). Had to end up replacing it with a newer one (really liked the Widefield for hunting) and the newer one had much better image than the old worn out one. The coatings make a HUGE difference in the image that reaches the eye!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 11-27-2019, 10:58 PM

The single rev turrets on the Z5 suck. Can't even get 600 yards with a 200 yard zero...... Personally, I'd rather have less glass quality, a reliable erector system, coupled with a turret capable of longrange.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPS1911A1 View Post
Ballistic turrets specific to a given rifle ammo is gaining ground.
Yeah. With guys just beginning to twist turrets..... And Swaro's BT turrets are on par with the Leupold CDS, both of which stink for longrange/and/or/ precision work.....
Old 12-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman22 View Post
Yeah. With guys just beginning to twist turrets..... And Swaro's BT turrets are on par with the Leupold CDS, both of which stink for longrange/and/or/ precision work.....
That depends on what each person considers long range. A man I know made two hits on a target at 2.07 miles with a .375 CheyTac. Is that long range or X-long range. The scope that helped make that shot was a Vortex Razor HD Gen1.

In Utah there's a competition for a 1,000 yard shot. Is that long range.

The two scope you speak of is not the right tool for the 2.07 mile shot and not the 1,000 yard shot.

So what IS long range...?

Colt MkIV O1970A1CS
FN Hi Power
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Last edited by DPS1911A1; 12-08-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:53 PM

My nephew only uses Swarovski on his 10+ rifles. I kinda like Zeiss, but he is die hard Swarovski and he and his friend buy 3 each at one time to get a good discount. I have no idea how much but suspect that volume purchase are greater than 10?

Horace and Alexander Suvorov
Old 12-22-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
The single rev turrets on the Z5 suck. Can't even get 600 yards with a 200 yard zero...... Personally, I'd rather have less glass quality, a reliable erector system, coupled with a turret capable of longrange.
For what purpose ? Seems to me thatís the real question.

A guy hunting deer may love the features of the Z series glass.

Maybe a real ninja would want something else, but an average guy like me using a sporter weight rifle is appreciative of bright, clear and lightweight scopes.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
Quote:
For what purpose ? Seems to me that’s the real question.

A guy hunting deer may love the features of the Z series glass.

Maybe a real ninja would want something else, but an average guy like me using a sporter weight rifle is appreciative of bright, clear and lightweight scopes.
A-MEN.......the high power, hi res scopes are a hoot. As long as you’re parked near the shooting spot.

When you start thinking vertical feet rather than raw yardage, weight if every single thing starts to matter. As does learning to shoot from realistic field positions other than prone.😉