Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-10-2019, 07:45 AM

Never use on a windy day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
I purchased an original green Chrony chronograph in the early 1980's. I have never damaged the unit with a bullet, and I will test ammo for other shooters, but I will do the testing..... I always check the POA vs. POI first when shooting unknown ammo, since many shooters and may use a 6 o'clock hold, and perceive the sights differently than I do...…

I built a way to mount my Chrony on an adjustable tripod, and also devised a takedown thin wood top cover painted white underneath so it can be fired outdoors in direct sunlight with the sun directly overhead.....it works great! If the sun is at a lower position, I may staple a Brown cardboard USPSA target on top of the wooden cover to allow more shade......

I will usually align the Chrony with a target at 20-25 yards so while I am using the Chrony, I am also checking for the accuracy of the ammo used...….
My first Chrony lasted about 20 years. A few years ago I had it set up outside my shop to test some loads. It was a little windy left to right. After testing a few rounds things were going just fine. Then a strong gust of wind lifted the whole set up and a round hit the bottom left corner of the front as it rolled left to right but damaged the circuitry! I sent it in for "repair" and upgraded to a newer model. The repair cost about $15 less than a new one!

Lesson learned! Hang a weight on the tripod to prevent "wind drift"!
Old 11-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Labs4us Why not ask Wilson what research they can provide on velocity and performance with the bullet weight and in the barrel your interested in . Who ever developed there ammo will have some ideals what to expect from a short barrel .

Not that ammo using starline brass will say 38 super comp .
Old 11-10-2019, 07:05 PM

Well, to make matters worse is there really enough difference in a 38 super and a 9mm to justify the extra expense ? Some say that there really isn't a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 08:37 PM

Crack open a load manual.

38 Super can be loaded to significantly higher velocities for the same bullet weight.

And, I don't understand why, but I have heard that 38 Super is a more accurate cartridge. Same bullet, but tighter groups.

Perhaps that's just another range rumor, but I'm not ready to discount it quite yet.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:59 PM

As has been mentioned, without a chronograph, it cannot be said with certainty.

However, we can look at the Wilson numbers and get a ball park sort of estimate.

Looking at the four bullets listed by Wilson, the 3.6" barrel velocities are each about 90% of the 5" barrel velocities listed. So, as a rough guess, you can take the velocities you are interested in from a 5" barrel and use 90% as an estimate of the 3.6" velocity, for the Wilson 38 Super, at least.

Not as good as a chronograph, but maybe something to play with.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:40 AM

Nothing is as good as a chronograph. You have to ask “90% of what”. You can’t use 90% of what Wilson states. Your gun won’t do that. For that matter, another Wilson probably won’t hit that number either. All guns are different. I do find it funny that guys will invest thousands of dollars into the shooting sports, but have a hard time investing a hundred for a basic chrony. Then we end up with guessing and hypothetically holding our mouth a certain way.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:29 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Nothing is as good as a chronograph. You have to ask “90% of what”. You can’t use 90% of what Wilson states. Your gun won’t do that. For that matter, another Wilson probably won’t hit that number either. All guns are different. I do find it funny that guys will invest thousands of dollars into the shooting sports, but have a hard time investing a hundred for a basic chrony. Then we end up with guessing and hypothetically holding our mouth a certain way.

Ain't that somethin? There have been two threads on the Reloading forum on Facebook in the last week asking questions about how to figure trajectory for sighting in a scope. Neither asker owns a chronograph. When I told them about how to set the scope up for max point blank range, they were astonished how that worked. Neither seemed to be interested in buying an inexpensive Shooting Chrony unit for $100. Instead, they'll spend $200 on trying to shoot actual targets to figure out the trajectory and drive all over creation to ranges with 200 or 300 yd ranges.

Just another example of how the internet has turned everybody into a bunch of computer literate idiots who can't think for themselves.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-12-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
Ain't that somethin? There have been two threads on the Reloading forum on Facebook in the last week asking questions about how to figure trajectory for sighting in a scope. Neither asker owns a chronograph. When I told them about how to set the scope up for max point blank range, they were astonished how that worked. Neither seemed to be interested in buying an inexpensive Shooting Chrony unit for $100. Instead, they'll spend $200 on trying to shoot actual targets to figure out the trajectory and drive all over creation to ranges with 200 or 300 yd ranges.

Just another example of how the internet has turned everybody into a bunch of computer literate idiots who can't think for themselves.
The best part about it is that the entire thing will turn into Mote Python’s hunt for the Holy Grail. Crappy glass and cheap ammo will keep most “deer woods” guys searching for years. Calling it good when you graze the edge of a pie plate at 100 is what I call a good scope mounting BEFORE it has been adjusted.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
My first Chrony lasted about 20 years. A few years ago I had it set up outside my shop to test some loads. It was a little windy left to right. After testing a few rounds things were going just fine. Then a strong gust of wind lifted the whole set up and a round hit the bottom left corner of the front as it rolled left to right but damaged the circuitry! I sent it in for "repair" and upgraded to a newer model. The repair cost about $15 less than a new one!

Lesson learned! Hang a weight on the tripod to prevent "wind drift"!

...I read somewhere that there are so many "dead" Chronys they have a recipe book...think it's called "Betty Chrony's Basics"....
Old 11-16-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix45 View Post
Crack open a load manual.

38 Super can be loaded to significantly higher velocities for the same bullet weight.

And, I don't understand why, but I have heard that 38 Super is a more accurate cartridge. Same bullet, but tighter groups.

Perhaps that's just another range rumor, but I'm not ready to discount it quite yet.
You may have heard that because of the relatively small amount of supers in comparison to the gobs of marginal 9’s. The quality of the Super is bound to be better overall.