Lee Jurras' 1911R1S - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-24-2019, 12:53 PM

Lee Jurras' 1911R1S

It was on this day 2017 that Lee Jurras stepped out into eternity. Those of you who are long time sixgunners know I held him in highest esteem. Lee did many things in his sojourning here. He was a lover of firearms; ammunition & all they could do.

Lee & his friend George C. Nonte, Jr. provided handgun lovers with many things in which to sink our teeth. They went to Africa hunting with handguns before such things were cool. The two of them had a long, productive friendship.

I guess the thing that impressed me most about Mr. Jurras was his work ethic. He shared a few things with me concerning the amount of personal work it took to operate Super Vel. He was surely a dedicated & motivated man.

My local gunsmith is in his 80s & personally knew another local, Luther Adkins. Luther was a machinist for Super Vel. I asked Lee about him & was told that Luther could make anything & he would do it without Lee providing blueprints & such. ďI simply told Luther what I needed & he made it.Ē From the best of my knowledge most & perhaps all Super Vel ammunition was primed on a machine Luther made from scratch.

At Lutherís death, my gunsmith passed some of Lutherís tools to me & that sparked my interest in maybe collecting things of Super Vel & perhaps a personal item of Mr. Jurrasí.

While operating Dry Creek Bullet Works I visited Mr. Jurras in Indiana. We ate breakfast & went to his shop. It was there I had my picture made while holding his Outstanding American Handgunner Trophy, the only one Iíve personally seen other than Mr. Keithís.

While there I picked Leeís mind concerning a cast lead 50 caliber rifle bullet. In the conversation he asked in what I would shoot & test them. Well I had no 50 caliber rifles, so he takes one from the wall, hands it to me & simply said ďwhen youíre finished return it.Ē Such was Mr. Jurras.

Lee & I spoke quite often by phone over the years. I would call him, or he would call me. We talked shop, business, people & of course firearms. I treasure those conversations. Seems he was never in a hurry.

As Leeís health began to fail & his shooting activities became less & less, I asked him if there were any handguns he would like to sell. He told me he might sell his carry gun, a Remington 1911. We agreed on a price & I sent him a check. It was only a few days & the pistol arrived with two initialed holsters, one belt & one shoulder. He provided me with a personal letter for the pistol. He was out of Super Vel letterhead, so he wrote on Jurras Locksmith letterhead.

Iíve shot the pistol a bit & itís the easiest operating 1911 Iíve used. Iím sure he went through the gun or had it done. These few things of his are treasures I cherish. I sure miss him. The picture posted by Mr. Taffin (I believe) showing Lee waving farewell touched my heart. I look at it often.

When Lee passed his caretaker sent me an obituary. I keep it with the books written & signed by George C. Nonte & given to Lee. Lee signed those books & passed them to me. Looking back, he offered to sell me his rifle used at Dry Creek but I let it pass. I regret that but feel blessed to have the things I do.

Many of you know Iím a minister. I spoke to Mr. Jurras a few times about his soul. He assured me all was well between him & The Lord. I rejoice in this & the hope of the resurrection & that in it I will see him again. Happy Trails Lee & thank you for everything.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:09 PM

I miss him too Lynn. I got to know him through the old sixgun boards you and I frequented and we started emailing back and forth about various topics, some firearms related. Aside from being brilliant in his field, he was one of the most down to earth and helpful experts I ever knew. I never had the pleasure of meeting Lee in person but when he passed, I felt like I'd lost an old friend.

I'm glad you got one of his pistols and thank you for posting this.

Visit us at The Sixgun Journal or the archive, at http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/
Old 04-26-2019, 12:23 PM

Sarge he was down to earth and willing to help anyone who would receive it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 12:37 PM

Thank you for posting this.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:53 PM

I knew Lee from the AutoMag forum. He gave me his phone number and I called a couple of times, but he was in the hospital both times.

A majority of the AutoMags went through Lee's hands at one time or another; besides being AMT's largest distributor, he handled warranty work for them for a while, and did repairs and tuneups on them until shortly before his death.

Lee also had excellent taste in automobiles; his driver for a while was a DeTomaso Pantera.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:06 PM

I tried to post this in the AutoMag forum but couldn't log in nor get a new password. I never knew the AutoMags & therefore the meaning of AGD which I needed to recover my account.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:36 AM

Would sure like to see that pistol out of the holster.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153 View Post
I'll take care of that shortly.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM

Lee Jurras' 1911R1S [2]

I was asked about other pictures of the Mr. Jurras' pistol. Here's a couple. It is bone stock on the outside. The sights are drift adjustable, with the 3 dot sight picture. Nothing fancy. I like the flat mainspring housing & the non beavertail grip safety.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153 View Post
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr...8#post12812958
Old 04-29-2019, 02:49 PM

His Outstanding American Handgunner Trophy.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:48 AM

Looks really nice, and thanks for posting the stories.
Do you know of Lee kept the firing pin block intact on his pistol?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:32 PM

This one in intact.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:35 PM

What a wonderful tribute to Lee. Thank you
Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 AM

You're welcome Ed. Lee was very good to me.