Dealing with Taurus customer service - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-26-2018, 10:53 PM

Well...that's interesting. I expect a full range report on your two original pistols ASAP!
Old 06-26-2018, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Yeah, but it'll be more interesting to find out whether I got two free pistols or if some other poor bastard owns the other two that are still malfunctioning!

Assuming my first two pistols are fixed, I think it's ridiculous to have waited five months just to get two tiny springs replaced. If Taurus was like Glock or most any other manufacturer they would've been able to just mail me a couple springs to try out instead of sending the guns in and waiting so long.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:44 AM

When I was talking to the Taurus Rep about sending in my pistol, he told me that turnaround time on their U.S. built pistols such as my Spectrum was much faster due to the fact that parts were readily available due to the gun being manufactured and assembled in the U.S.

Is the PT-111 built in the U.S.? I dunno...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2018, 01:12 PM

Can't understand why knowledgeable gunfolks still buy Taurus guns?
Old 06-27-2018, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
Can't understand why knowledgeable gunfolks still buy Taurus guns?
There was a lot of good word being spread about the PT-111 G2, especially online from Hickok45 and Sootch00. When the prices dropped to $250 and under I figured I couldn't go wrong and bought two. Until they suddenly started malfunctioning they were actually my carry guns. I definitely won't trust them again however until I've put several hundred rounds through them without any more issues.

And yes I'm talking about the two that actually belong to me and were repaired and sent back. I called the gun shop this morning regarding the other two, telling them that something didn't feel right about the fact that I sent in two guns and received back four. They went and did an in-store audit, and later called me back telling me the other two guns were theirs! I bet it's good to actually have honest customers, eh?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
And yes I'm talking about the two that actually belong to me and were repaired and sent back. I called the gun shop this morning regarding the other two, telling them that something didn't feel right about the fact that I sent in two guns and received back four. They went and did an in-store audit, and later called me back telling me the other two guns were theirs! I bet it's good to actually have honest customers, eh?

Thumbs up to you for honesty!

At least now you don't have 4 Taurus to send back in 3 months!
Old 06-27-2018, 10:47 PM
Administrator

They told me they sent in the two guns they had for the trigger recall about the same time I had them send in my two guns for repair. When the first two guns came back someone got confused and thought they were mine. I assume they were display examples since like I said earlier they had scratches on the outsides yet showed little to no evidence of having been fired on the insides.

Oh well. I have already put 150 rounds through each one, and learned that they both have feeding issues. Since they're not my guns they're no longer my problem! It'll be up to the gun shop what they decide to do with them, either send them back yet again or put them on the discount shelf. I hope they don't try to pass them off as brand new to somebody.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:30 AM

When do you think you'll have a range report on your originals? I'm getting antsy to know if they are truly fixed...
Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately it might be awhile. My schedule is pretty much booked for the next couple of weeks. The proof in the pudding won't be with the first range visit anyway. These guns worked perfectly at first, but then the double feeding issues began intermittently and quickly got worse after just a few hundred rounds. Assuming Taurus was right about the extractor springs being the problem it means they were OK when new but then quickly lost tension. I might have to put a thousand rounds through them just to finally feel confident in them. $400 worth of ammo through two $250 pistols just to make sure they are reliable enough for defense... yeah that makes perfect sense.

Last edited by dsk; 06-28-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:49 PM

dsk your experience is just another chapter in the book of horror, that is the Taurus customer service department.

For all you folks complaining about Ruger, they must like me better than all you guys. The customer service experience I had involved having a defective 10/22 fixed by them. It was fast, and they even paid for the return label.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:26 AM

bought a gun, sent it back 2 days later, took 7 months to get it back.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Perhaps this is an anti-gun conspiracy... citizens buy a new gun, go through the waiting period, pick it up, find that it's defective and have to send it in for repair, and endure another 4-7 month "waiting period" to get it back. The idea being that in that time maybe said citizen will get off of guns and find another hobby instead, or at least say "he'll never buy another gun from this company again". Kinda like retroactive and voluntary gun control.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:17 AM

dsk,

It is not just your luck. There are examples of poor initial builds followed up with poor customer service all over this forum. US gun manufacturing is about where the American automobile industry was as it started its decline to 1980.

I had a great German Sig P226. Based on that gun, I bought three products from Sig. All three never got fixed. The last was a Sig Romeo sight that has a 40 percent sized red ghost appearing in one side of the glass. Sig said this was normal even for an Aimpoint and they would not warranty it. I have had three Aimpoints and never seen this type of ghost flair.

The customer is the initial tester for new products. How many times do new products come out and then there are problems with the initial runs. And the new products come out with lots of hype from what's left of the gun magazine industry.

The poor products and backed up customer service are boosting the sales for the Aimpoints, Larues, Wilsons, and Browns of the industry.

Sadly, your experiences are not that unusual if you buy enough guns.

Regards,
Old 07-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
When do you think you'll have a range report on your originals? I'm getting antsy to know if they are truly fixed...
I finally took them to the range today during my lunch break to put 100 rounds of the same Federal 115gr ammo through each one. Not a single bobble, which was a huge relief. If either one jammed again I probably would've hung it on the target carrier and shot it to pieces. However I'll be putting a few hundred more rounds through them before I trust them as anything but range guns again.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:10 PM

Good deal!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Put another 100 rounds each of FMJ through them today plus shot up my old scratched-up defense ammo (~30 rounds). No malfunctions and got the sights dialed in. Things are finally looking up. I wish I could buy some extractor springs as spares though in case the problem comes back down the road. It's still scary to think that such serious malfunctions were caused by the failure of a .50 cent part.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 AM

I can only hope that once I receive my Spectrum back from Taurus it will function as flawlessly as your PT-111's after repair.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:27 PM
Administrator

The concern I have is that Taurus seems to get their springs from a sub-par source. Extractor springs shouldn't be giving out after only a few hundred rounds. In most pistols they last the life of the firearm. Your light primer strikes could also be due to a weak striker spring... I guess we'll find out when you get yours back.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:57 AM

Well, after being scolded vigorously on another forum for expressing my opinion of Taurus products (based on prior ownership experiences) I felt I needed to take a second look and see if things had improved. Still, the only way I was going to buy a Taurus was through Gun Genie, which provides its own lifetime warranty. Gun Genie has the G2C (black slide) shipped to my FFL for $262 (out the door.) So, I was seriously thinking about it...and in fact, I was just about ready to click the "Accept Offer" button, and then I read this example of Taurus CS and products. I'm not wasting my time or my money with them. I've had excellent luck with S&W and Ruger, and their CS is overwhelmingly regarded as excellent. I'm sticking with them for any future purchases (if I make any more...I've been divesting, instead of acquiring.) I'm sure there are some other gun companies that make good products and have excellent customer service, too, but being retired I just don't have the disposable income to experiment anymore.

While I'm sorry you've had all the problems, thank you for posting your experiences here...it's certainly helped me!

Last edited by GKC; 07-14-2018 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 PM

I've heard all the horror stories about Taurus,but believe it or not,the two PT1911 pistols that I have are working perfectly.
I learned a lot about 1911's by tinkering around with the first one,and the second one only got all the springs replaced.
They are both 100% reliable,and never skip a beat.

I wish I could say the same for the two RIA garbage pistols that everyone seems to rave about.Pure crap with horrible customer support.My dealer quit carrying their line of products.He said they were worse than Taurus,both in quality and service.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myco4you View Post
I wish I could say the same for the two RIA garbage pistols that everyone seems to rave about. Pure crap with horrible customer support. My dealer quit carrying their line of products. He said they were worse than Taurus,both in quality and service.
I've had both the Taurus PT1911 and multiple RIA 1911's. Gotta say I prefer RIA 1911 pistols. They don't have the ridiculous firing pin safety and I've never had a part break on a RIA. The MIM extractor on my PT1911 cracked. Luckily I was able to convince Taurus to send me a new one so that I didn't have to send in my pistol for this. I did have to send them my cracked extractor though...
Old 07-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Both Colt and Kimber learned a long time ago that MIM is the wrong material to make internal extractors out of. Amazing that Taurus still hasn't figured that out yet.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemkr40 View Post
your 24/7 in 45 ACP is gone. you will never see it again. you will be given a PT111 G2 in 9mm and you will like it per Taurus USA.
OMG, the news is even worse than that. The .45 is gone, and my only options for a replacement are a .380 Curve or a $200 compact G2C 9mm.

Never should have sent that .45 back to Taurus...

Last edited by Taxvictim; 09-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:33 AM

Take the G2C 9mm...
Old 09-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Administrator

How much did the 24/7 cost you? If Taurus is replacing a model with a different one it should be about the same retail value. From a quick look on Gunbroker it seems the 24/7 is at least $100 more than the G2C.