what breed qualifies as a good guard dog ? - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-15-2018, 10:42 AM

We have a Morkie that would ferociously yap at an intruder, before rolling on her back and asking for a belly rub.

NRA Member- thanks to David Hogg for recruiting me
Old 12-15-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
Any dog can be a good guard dog. Depends more on training than breed. The best dogs I've ever had have been mutts. They are smart, loyal, and plenty scary enough to make anyone think twice. If I were looking for a dog right now I'd get one with some German Shepherd mixed with maybe Black Lab or similar. It would be a damned good dog!!
I would have to agree with this. I've been training hunting dogs for awhile. Breed isn't nearly as important as training. One of the best dogs I've ever owned was a German Shepherd/Weimaraner. She was used as a guard dog. Mixes aren't expensive and can generally be trained to do just about anything you want. You want to buy the dog as a puppy (less than 3 months old) and start training as soon as you can. Things like taking the pup on walks around your perimeter to establish their territory and encouraging barking alerts when someone comes on your property.

My experience with Labs is they're excellent family dogs and mixed with something like a GS or Rot they would excel at protecting your family. My inclination would be a dog with German Shepard, Doberman or Rottweiler in the mix. They're easy to find in the shelters as puppies. I've never owned a Lab but I've hunted with plenty of them. As a breed they're pretty mellow and generally too friendly to make good guard dogs.

You have to be smarter than your dog to train them however and know when they start training you. I see it all the time with my Griff.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 12-15-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:20 PM

Between my parents and my brother-in-law, we've had upwards of a dozen Dobermans in the 'family' over the years. All but one were incredibly smart, gentle, and well-behaved, but fiercely loyal and protective. Two Dobies were my Mom's primary "security system" for the ten years or so that she lived alone after Dad passed. (Her backup was a Colt Agent).

I had a Doberman/Lab cross who was probably the gentlest dog I've ever seen (the cat could push him out of his food dish), but he had a pair of jaws that could probably have bitten a 2x4 in half, and he made his presence known if anyone suspicious came around. Between his rugged good looks and throaty growl, he'd make the hair stand up on the back of your neck when he went into 'defensive mode'. Never attacked anyone, but he was one heck of a deterrent!

Colt Combat Commander, Special Combat Government, Dan Wesson Valor, Valkyrie & ECO, Les Baer Premier II, Sig C3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 08:08 PM

I have a Saint and a Great Pyranese. Every sunday I make them spam and eggs. I have no doubt they will protect me.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:25 PM

We have young grandchildren, so we had to take that into consideration. We have a 65 pound, 18 month old female boxer. She loves our grandkids, alerts well, and is extremely protective of my wife. Supposedly 'indestructible' Kevlar chew toys last MAYBE an hour with her.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:05 AM

While not guard dogs, we have 2 Yorkies that let us know if anyone so much as walks on the sidewalk in front of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 AM

Best all-around dogs are of the cur breeds.

They’ll take on a bear for you.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:55 AM

Mas Ayoob once wrote that Great Danes are the best. I've had 2, and agree with him. First, their massive size scares most folks, but if well bred, they are very gentle giants. Mine were completely trustworthy with my kids and grandkids. They were very alert and bold, yet posed virtually no danger of a "vicious dog attack" against a child or casual visitor.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:06 AM

After loosing our 13yr old Lab to cancer last August we finally got a new "Guard dog". Here he is watching his first training film.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6707.jpg  
Old 01-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Obviously not mine. He claims to be a Carolina Dog mix. Worst watch dog I've ever seen. I'm going to have to get me a small ankle bitin' yapper to provide the watch dog security at the house.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:09 PM

what breed qualifies as a good guard dog ?

German shepherds and Labrador are really good with the kids ... and good watch dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2019, 03:20 PM

I have to vote for the chihuahua. They raise heck whenever someone comes around. The guy next door from me has one. when he goes off, I always check on him.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:08 PM

75lb Golden Doodle...great bark, no bite and a heckuva companion...
Old 01-13-2019, 09:24 AM

Several breeds have developed into guard dogs across the globe.
Beyond their natural inclination to protect, training, imho, defines which is "best."
Old 03-03-2019, 05:55 PM

My lab is as good as my rotweiller was. But when the rotweiller barks the house shook. Just her 145lb size scared people. But she was gentle with the family. But protected the misses on a walk.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 03-03-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:13 PM

This is my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Notice outdoor pictures of the Reagans always had a Cavie in the frame...

The secret service bred these vicious brutes to take a manís back straps out in half a second. Some kids from the local college went on my lawn one night, this horrible,little beast tore one of their arms off.

Oh sure, it looks harmless... but itís got big scary teeth and itís got a mean streak a mile wide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2019, 01:09 AM

Rotweiller but it eats like a horse and hzitís like a cow.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 03-13-2019, 02:31 PM

I surprised our Rott yesterday by going into the yard through a seldom used gate.
He came a runnin' not knowing who I was. I'm glad he recognized me before he go to me. Damn.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:25 AM

We up-graded from a Boston Terrier to a full-sized Boxer when our Boston Terrier passed. Ours is 18 months old and 65# of solid muscle. Boxers are GREAT with kids (we have 5 small grandkids), are VERY protective, have above-average intelligence, and are 'problem-solvers'. They also possess TREMENDOUS strength in their jaws.

Last edited by shooter1201; 03-22-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Error
Old 04-14-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1912 View Post
Since this is the Disaster Prep subforum, I am assuming you are thinking of a guard dog for a SHTF scenario? Dogs are worthless in SHTF. They are a burden until you are starving, and then they are source of food, but a goat or pig is a better option.

Read "Surviving the Economic Collapse" by Ferfal, who lived through the Argentina economic collapse. He describes how skilled criminals and gangs just threw poisoned meat to guard dogs, waited for them to die, and then attacked in the middle of the night.
Ferfal describes how anybody with working synapses was able to infiltrate an area that didn't have overlapping securities. A dog is not the end-all-be-all of home defense. They are simply one item in the tool box. When I'm patrolling I have my dominant dog scouting 20-50' ahead (if line of sight allows) while my second dog stays by my side. I don't send them out by themselves and expect to find bad guys stacked like firewood along the perimeter. I certainly would not send them out on patrol alone if SHTF. Dogs are a tool that increases the patrols senses (hearing, sight and smell). They also increase the time I have to hit center mass as the threat is dealing with my furry partners.

I've owned Bernese Mountain, German Shepherd, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terriers. I've found that the American Staffordshire Terrier meets my requirements the best and will likely not own anything else unless my requirements change. Would highly recommend this breed to the OP if space allows. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier would be a great option if adequate space is a concern.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:50 PM

Old post........deleted

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 05-07-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:19 PM

Dobes, what they were bred to do.

I have had a number of Doberman's over the years..........they are wicked smart, pure athletes, faster, stronger and with a greater bite force than even a German Shepard.

Wonderful family dog, loyal and dedicated to their family like no other, they are K9 velcro, they want to be with you 24/7.

While not aggressive, they are very protective ( what they were bred to do ), anyone messes with their loved ones and hell is a coming.

In case you can't tell, I love my Dobes.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com

Last edited by Hammond; 05-09-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:25 PM

This is Tyson. Tyson is a 110 pound Dogo Argentino. He is hell on strays, cats, and any intruder into the back yard..

Click image for larger version

Name:	tyson dog.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	555008

One of my favorite pictures of all time..

Name:	Toms family.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	555010
Paul
Old 05-15-2019, 08:52 PM

This is my boy Django. He guards our house & property......

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	555132

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	555134
Old 05-15-2019, 10:55 PM

Around here.