Carry ammo MegaThread - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-21-2015, 08:26 PM

I used up old (about your vintage) within last three months and it all worked fine. Now loading:
Target: 200gr Hornady FMJ Viht N340 6.4gr
Carry: 185gr Noseler JHP Viht N340 6.8gr

Last edited by Swabby01; 09-21-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:51 PM

I will throw a little different wrinkle into this.
I happen to have been at several ammunition demonstrations from Federal and Winchester in the last five years. I happen to believe that Federal HST ammo in .45 is the best thing going currently.
I do not carry it in my pistols!
I carry Speer Gold Dot ammo.
Why?
Because as a cop I am issued ammo for duty and off duty. If I carry the HST and some creep does the things that creeps do to get shot, I am opening myself up to liability for violating policy.
So...I carry Gold Dot ammo because if something happens and I am asked what ammo was in my pistol, all I say is I shot the ammo they gave me.
As a side note the Gold Dot preformed well in the tests but not as well as the HST.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:22 AM

Range: Winchester Whitebox 230 grain FMJ or Freedom Munitions reman 230 grain.

Carry ammo: Winchester Ranger 230 grain HP. I cycle this ammo every 6 months (shoot off carry rounds and load up with fresh batch) and also test this ammo when I use a new mag(s).

I carry my MC OP everyday. Holster wear and faded slide/frame shows it��

I choose the carry rounds because as a L.E.O, this is the manufacture we utilize in our duty weapon. However, we are strapped with a Sig P226 chambered in .40S&W

Last edited by Zack_TRP1911; 12-29-2015 at 03:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 12:25 PM

I shoot reloads for practice cast 200 and 230's.

I have some 230 hydra shocks that are around 25 years old, and some Remington umc? 230 jhp's I use for carry.

The tests on the HST did show they are better marginally, but I have never been attacked by blocks of gel.

WWJMBD
Sent from the panic room, via two tin cans attached with a string, and a jail broken Atari 2600, while wearing a Tin Foil hat.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:38 PM

We recently had a class on defense from you car where we shot thru windshields in both directions and shot car doors with various loads. Turns out that the car door was from a 1978 model BIG car that had steel construction. The ONLY load that penetrated in all cases was Remington Golden Saber 230's and also Golden saber 40 caliber heavy bullets. All 9mm,38's, 357 mags. failed to penetrate. Just about every brand and configuration was used. The case would be different with today's car doors. For everyday practice, I use 200 gr. RNFP Precision bullets from David in Kemp, Texas.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDeville View Post
I have some 230 hydra shocks that are around 25 years old, and some Remington umc? 230 jhp's I use for carry.

The tests on the HST did show they are better marginally, but I have never been attacked by blocks of gel.
Marginally better...? The hydra shoc performs like ball ammo as often as not, the Remington HTP is also a poor performer...

Conversely, the 230gn HST is consistently the top performer. While other products may be nearly as good, none are better.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 01-01-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Marginally better...? The hydra shoc performs like ball ammo as often as not, the Remington HTP is also a poor performer...

Conversely, the 230gn HST is consistently the top performer. While other products may be nearly as good, none are better.
Exactly... the Federal HST is the NEW version of the old Hydra shoc... in .45ACP

And the its expansion is consistent and upwards of a full inch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWW2Y-IZpyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEpJ_qEKTvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzFDXCaKr2I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlHYsr2Ii2I

It's literally best of the best for expansion.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:50 AM

While rummaging around checking out things at home and organizing stuff better, I ran across some loose .45ACP FMJ rounds at the bottom of my large range bag. They are like circa 30 years old, maybe 25 at the minimum. I went ahead and shot them downrange at a target and they worked just fine. No problems. I don't remember if I reloaded them or not years ago either. But anyway, they still worked just fine.

I would just go ahead and shoot the stuff you got. It would be good target ammo for practice. Obviously not for duty carry though. I remember back then, having to shoot off my duty ammo and if I qualified, they would issue new duty ammo to carry. If you ever got caught with "unofficial" "unapproved" ammo in your duty carry, you could easily get fired. They actually fired a couple of fellows over it too.

Last edited by earlwb; 03-26-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: add more information
Old 04-01-2016, 03:47 PM

Tracers

Does anyone put a tracer round second or third from the last round in a mag. If you ever got to the point of having to empty your gun it might be handy knowing your about out and prepare for a reload. I just saw some of these advertised and it got me thinking, probably too much.
Thanks
Jay
Old 04-03-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIA-NC View Post
Does anyone put a tracer round second or third from the last round in a mag. If you ever got to the point of having to empty your gun it might be handy knowing your about out and prepare for a reload. I just saw some of these advertised and it got me thinking, probably too much.
Thanks
Jay
I guess you could, but, I really don't see it making much difference in the heat of the moment. Speaking from experience, you're going to be so busy not getting your own rear end shot off and managing your fear that you could have a videogame-esque HUD auto-targeting for you and you wouldn't benefit from it much.

Tracers work well in combat to index full auto fire, not so much for semi-auto fire during flash engagements.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:11 PM

230gFMJ Magtech, Winchester White Box or Remington UMC. I save the LPP brass for reloading with 225-230g LRN for range ammo.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:19 PM

I got to fire a tracer from my issued 1911.
That sucker went for orbit!

I learned (a very long time ago) to count my shots.
By onsies for small capacity weapons, or by threesies for high cap.
Try it.
You'll like it.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:18 PM

I buy bulk UMC hardball for practice in both 45s. I shoot Remington 230g Bonded GS in my Pro, 45 Super Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast in m V16.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R. View Post
Been awhile since I've fired my 45 at the range. Have some 20 year old hollow point ammo. Is this too old to use? Want to start practicing again with good ammo. Want to get my CHL here in Houston.

I also would like recommendations on the best self-defense ammo. Thanks in advance for your help.
Ive had Hornady TAP ammo for about 12 years and just took it out to use it up and get more. ran like new. getting more of the same.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 PM

Remington Golden Sabre 185 grain + p in 45 A.C.P. is a real good hollow point the energy & velocity numbers are 534 energy 1140 velocity .
Old 11-05-2016, 10:56 PM

Federal HST 230 gr standards is what I carry.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:12 AM

Battenfeld Technologies
Old 11-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2016, 09:33 PM

Ubet,
Looks like a great load, but you don't load your own carry ammo do you? Anyway, what's your OAL (overall cartridge length)?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:45 AM
Banned

"which one is best"?
ask 100 people and get 100 diff answers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9V8eBAL74g

in a nutshell, a JHP that works well in your firearm, and, the one that carries most muzzle energy, should suffice for SD.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw4902 View Post
Ubet,
Looks like a great load, but you don't load your own carry ammo do you? Anyway, what's your OAL (overall cartridge length)?
Yes I do load my own. Oal is 1.215

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 09:13 PM

Practice and carry ammo for me is 200 gr or 230 gr TMJ-FN .
Real penetration and bone crushing knock down power .
Old 07-25-2017, 09:22 PM

I have been carrying the Gorilla Silverback 45 FBI load here recently a 100% copper bullet that has been machined. Did some cinderblock testing with the load and though it did not expand it punched through the block while the HST basically exploded I was really impressed. But it is expensive at about ~$2.50 a round
Old 07-28-2017, 08:50 PM
Banned

pros & cons please
Gorilla Silverback 45 FBI

does it cycle well, good for all makes/models, cost, expansion tests, penetration tests (wood, metal, clothes), etc.
it has a heck of an edge under the bullet, what does that do to a ramp w/ 1,000 rounds?
the pic looks cool, but that alone not making me switch from the dbl tap i ride with

any reason why they dont fill the center with a lightweight material just to give better aerodynamics. likely doesnt matter at 0-40ft, but what about that long shot if needed?

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 07-28-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
pros & cons please
Gorilla Silverback 45 FBI

does it cycle well, good for all makes/models, cost, expansion tests, penetration tests (wood, metal, clothes), etc.
it has a heck of an edge under the bullet, what does that do to a ramp w/ 1,000 rounds?
the pic looks cool, but that alone not making me switch from the dbl tap i ride with

any reason why they dont fill the center with a lightweight material just to give better aerodynamics. likely doesnt matter at 0-40ft, but what about that long shot if needed?

So far I have only been able to run about ~100 rounds of Silverback through my carry guns. It is still difficult to find at best locally and regardless of where it is purchased the ammo is very expensive at around ~$2.50 a round.

Now out of my Dan Wesson VBOB and ECO the ammo has functioned flawlessly and have had very consistent penetration through my various unscientific tests. Through both the VBOB and ECO (4.25 and 3.5 inch barrel) through 4 layers of Denim I am getting roughly 4 gallon milk jugs of penetration (filled with water, the first 3 jugs destroyed totally with the bullet resting in the 4th jug). This is basically the same exact penetration I have gotten with 230gr Federal HST standard pressure.

I have not really had time to run barrier tests as the ammo is expensive and the tests very time consuming but I did shoot a few through some sheet metal and cinder blocks to see how the rounds would behave (into a big trough of water to catch the bullet) It expended through the sheet metal and did well (as did HST) and through the cinder block it did not expand but the round did punch through both sides and kept going (the HST disintegrated for lack of better words I could not even recover the HST bullet)

Overall I am really happy with the ammo and like how the bullets are constructed as I am a fan of 100% copper bullets, but right now I don't feel the offer enough of an advantage over the ~$0.50 a round HTS's to justify the extra cost.