Stainless, Blue, Mammoth - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Stainless, Blue, Mammoth

Wilson is coming up with neat combos these days particularly with mammoth grips.
Attached Thumbnails
20191205_134615_1575571672108.jpg   20191205_134559_1575571680358.jpg  
Old 12-05-2019, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Really like the two tone blued and stainless; very classy!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-05-2019, 09:38 PM

Agreed. Engraving is always nice but I also like the blue small parts. Has me reconsidering my prospective build, was going to with the following

Tactical Supergrade Professional in 9mm
Wilson in house blue with polished sides of slide only, blue whole pistol
Wide rear serrations
Flush cut reverse crown
Heavy machine chamfer on slide
Substitute for white gold bead sight
Carry cuts
2 sets of grips diagonal G10s and French Walnut with flat bottom
Move script to dustcover (suggestions on font or wording?)
Recessed slide stop cut flat

But now wonder if stainless frame and blue smalls would be slicker, however do have a Classic SG Two-tone turnbull, so probably sticking with original thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Since you already have a two-tone Classic Turnbull Supergrade, your full blued plan for this next one looks like a very nice edition. The specs for it look really nice, and even though I'm not a big fan of carry cuts I have nothing against them and even have a few with them as well. I like the idea of the white gold bead front sight, as my next build will have that as well. For the font, hard to go wrong with the normal Edwardian Script, although I have a few in Monotype Corsiva that I think may have become my favorite. I have found the recessed slide stop cut flat works best for me, although that is more of a purely personal preference for each person (all of mine for the past 4 years have had this). Pretty nice specs really.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 12-06-2019, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

A few picture of Monotype Corsiva

The first two pictures are my first Wilson with this font, the next few are of my XTAC Supergrade with it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0208.JPG   IMG_0210.JPG   IMG_0288.JPG   IMG_0299.JPG  

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 12-06-2019, 09:37 AM

Thanks! Yes I hear you on the carry cuts. My classic has ball cuts only, but I thought on the pro sized the carry cuts look cool against blue or stainless finished polished flats.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:57 PM

I like the CQB Commander. It has Vicker's serrations, retro hammer, and Hot Salt Blue small parts.

I think Wilson has it listed in the wrong section though. The frame has "CQB Elite" engraved on the dustcover. It should be listed in the CQB Elite Commander section of "In-Stock" Items. (Not CQB Commander section)

Last edited by tjpaxton; 12-06-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:20 PM

Love the SS and blue mammoth look! Unfortunately elephant grips are illegal in NH
Old 12-13-2019, 09:32 PM

I'm considering a Sentinel Compact similar to the first one, with all stainless and the blued small parts (mirror polish salt blue). Dealer thought that in particular the grip safety would wear too fast. Is this any different than it would wear if the whole pistol were blue? Wanted to do something in stainless but with a twist. Also considering AT on the slide instead as I've also posted on. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMac View Post
I'm considering a Sentinel Compact similar to the first one, with all stainless and the blued small parts (mirror polish salt blue). Dealer thought that in particular the grip safety would wear too fast. Is this any different than it would wear if the whole pistol were blue? Wanted to do something in stainless but with a twist. Also considering AT on the slide instead as I've also posted on. Thanks!
I love the look of the stainless with Hot Salt Blued small parts. I’m worried about if the thumb safety would hold its color , same as your concern. I spoke to a friend who has a WC Hot Salt Blued grip safety, he said the finish wore off in 3 months, which consisted of 2 range trips.

Does it look fantastic, yes. Is it practical, no.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTom View Post
Love the SS and blue mammoth look! Unfortunately elephant grips are illegal in NH
The entire gun is illegal here...

Thanks OP, for posting more stuff I canít have
Old 12-14-2019, 02:27 PM
1911 Aficionado

Not digging the "we ran out of matching parts" look of the two-tone, but if they could scrounge a stainless beavertail it would look nice.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpaxton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMac View Post
I love the look of the stainless with Hot Salt Blued small parts. I’m worried about if the thumb safety would hold its color , same as your concern. I spoke to a friend who has a WC Hot Salt Blued grip safety, he said the finish wore off in 3 months, which consisted of 2 range trips.

Does it look fantastic, yes. Is it practical, no.
TJ, was your friend's gun a stainless? I wonder why this would wear any worse than any other bluing or when the whole gun is baron blue, unless maybe against a more abrasive surface like stainless it's worse?