Dimensions of a 1000 rd. case of .45 ? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-25-2019, 12:53 PM

Dimensions of a 1000 rd. case of .45 ?

Gearing up to move several states over. I have a lot of ammunition (thousands) that I stored in very big ammo cans - so big they can't be lifted up by two grown men ! So I will have to remove the boxes from the cans into something more manageable. Looking at a box company's listings, and thought I ask any forum member, if they had a case of ammo in the original shipping carton, to measure the dimensions of said carton. Guess I out-smarted myself taking out of the cartons and storing in the huge cans !
I know I can just pile up a number of boxes , but before I start doing that thought I would ask.
Thanks.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:00 PM

Ammo boxes come in different sizes so any dimensions would be specific to a certain manufacturer. Personally, I would just get several small to medium sized boxes and put 1/2 case (up to 500 rounds) in each. Easier to lift and move.

You could also stack the boxes and measure the dimensions of the quantity you want to pack.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:02 PM

Get a hand truck. My ability to lift anything over 50 pounds is gone. I have a hand truck and use it often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Booth View Post
Looking at a box company's listings, and thought I ask any forum member, if they had a case of ammo in the original shipping carton, to measure the dimensions of said carton.
Just received a 1000 round shipment today, but its a combination of .45ACP and .45C. Inside were 2 equally sized smaller boxes, each of which contained an equal mix of both calibers.

Weight: 50#
Box dimensions: 14x11x7
Old 07-25-2019, 04:13 PM

I have a case of PMC Bronze that is 15x6x6.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:45 AM

Vortex has the sensible answer. Just stack up the amount you want and get a box that works. Then, have the UPS guy take it to the new place. No sense in you breaking your back!
Old 10-19-2019, 10:10 AM

Shoot 'em up
Hand load the empty brass when you git where you're goin'
Old 10-19-2019, 10:38 AM

As a for instance, this MTM Case-gard AC45 ammo can holds 500 rounds and is 7.25 x 10.6 x 7.25

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...l-ammo-can.php

They don't show an external dimension, but the ACC45 holds 700 rounds of .45 with included 100 round ammo boxes.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...-can-combo.php

Quote:
Gearing up to move several states over. I have a lot of ammunition (thousands) that I stored in very big ammo cans - so big they can't be lifted up by two grown men !
I recall making a move early in my marriage. We had picked up some moving boxes and were putting stuff in them to speed up the process for the movers. My wife found a box that was probably 3' square and started putting books in it. I asked her is she was going to bring in a fork lift to move it once she had it filled.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:28 AM

Im sure he has moved by now. 1K rounds takes up far less room than you think.
The number only sounds like a lot. The box can easily be moved by one guy.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Im sure he has moved by now.
Man, how did I get sucked into this?
Old 10-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Vortex has the sensible answer. Just stack up the amount you want and get a box that works. Then, have the UPS guy take it to the new place. No sense in you breaking your back!

I just recently moved and had to move a fair amount of loaded ammo. A good way to do it is to use the plastic milk crates you can buy at Walmart. They have built in handles, won't fall apart like cardboard boxes can do, and can be stacked several high if needed without crushing. Depending on caliber, fill to half or 3/4 full in layers. That's heavier than it sounds, btw.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-20-2019, 11:47 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Im sure he has moved by now. 1K rounds takes up far less room than you think.
The number only sounds like a lot. The box can easily be moved by one guy.

When I was still shooting 5.56, I stored it in the large ammo cans. You could easily fit 1000 rds in one can. Very compact and tough for handling purposes, but also heavy. Two such cans is about all a guy can easily handle if he's in reasonable shape.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
I just recently moved and had to move a fair amount of loaded ammo. A good way to do it is to use the plastic milk crates you can buy at Walmart. They have built in handles, won't fall apart like cardboard boxes can do, and can be stacked several high if needed without crushing. Depending on caliber, fill to half or 3/4 full in layers. That's heavier than it sounds, btw.
I can only imagine what your new neighbors would think if they knew all of those milk crates were full of ammo! Anybody say anything when the safe came rolling off the truck?? It does bring up an interesting thought about carting all of your arms into the house in broad daylight. New neighbors are nosey and want to see what kinda stuff you have. Especially if your neighborhood has a bunch of paranoid Prius owners. Might be better off sneaking them in under cover of darkness!