1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-06-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Bought my new Huntsville R1 almost 14 months ago. It has a steel MSH.
Lucky you.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Bought my new Huntsville R1 almost 14 months ago. It has a steel MSH.

Is that the standard R1 with the matte black finish or the stainless? My stainless R1 has a steel MSH but my matte black enhanced 9mm has plastic. They're both Huntsville pistols.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjb1911 View Post
Lucky you.
From all the talk about the plastic MSHs on these threads, I originally assumed mine was the same. Then yesterday it finally occurred to my old shrinking brain to put a magnet on it..... and lo & behold, it stuck!

Kewel..... as the millennials like to say.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC17A View Post
Is that the standard R1 with the matte black finish or the stainless? My stainless R1 has a steel MSH but my matte black enhanced 9mm has plastic. They're both Huntsville pistols.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 PM

My R1 was also a Huntsville model purchased last year and it had a plastic housing.

I bought an arched mainspring housing from Hogue and it dropped in. Hardest part was getting it pushed in far enough for the pin to slide in easily, and even that wasn't hard.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:06 AM

I used an arched Ed Brown MSH. Dropped in with no modification.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:09 PM

Remington had a sale on all their parts last week so I call to order a new steel MSH. All the had were plastic so I took the advice of Sgt Vic and order one from Fusion. three days later it arrived and was promptly installed. Dropped right in. Doesn't look much different but makes me 100 % better about an other wise great pistol.
I will mention that when I removed the grips for installation a grip bushing backed out leaving the bushing on one side of the grip and the screw on the other. I used vise grips with a leather wrap to remove the screw. The screw was cross threaded and came out in less that two turns. Guessing the assembler was in a hurry to go lunch or home.
Customer Service is sending me a set of grips, two screws, and two bushings. I ruined the original bushing separating it from the screw. Fingers crossed hoping the new bushing will screw into the frame with no issues.
TF
Old 10-30-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsix View Post
Interesting, guess they went to plastic. I would bet they are still a very nice gun, Mine shoots great when I do. I like the availability & ability to interchange parts for 1911s, all the more fun ! Yes the sight dovetail cut is not like most, I was told it would have to be re-cut to put better sights on mine. Wonder if the "enhanced" version is the same way ?
Kimber and Colt use Plastic. Have for years.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupton View Post
Curious as to when and what model of R1 they started to put a plastic MSH in? Iíve got a standard R1 that I bought in 2014 and itís got a steel MSH. Just curious.

On that note I just last week dropped in an aluminum Wilson Combat MSH for my Springfield Range Office Champion (aluminum frame) and there was some minor fitting that I had to do. Just had to file the two tongs at the top of the MSH down a bit since it was a little too snug against the bottom of the grip safety which was causing it to bind. It was really easy to do.

My only question now is what to do with the bare aluminum spots on the MSH that were filed.
You can use aluminum blackening.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrifle3 View Post
You can use aluminum blackening.
That's exactly what I did. I got some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black and applied it. Looked pretty good too. Not sure how it held up since its been inside the gun and I cant see it.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:55 AM

I purchased my R1 new back in March 2019 and it has a plastic MSH.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:29 AM

It seems more like a "return" to plastic,. as Para Ordnance used to use plastic in many of their guns. I don't know if there will be a rhyme or reason that we can discern from Remington as to when or where they will use plastic vs. steel. It sure was hard to grasp with Para.

S&A was always a good bet with Para, as S&A .250 radius was the spec for the frames with beavertails. All of mine have allowed an S&A beavertail to essentially drop in and function. Same with mainspring housing.

Last edited by CyberDyneSystems; 05-15-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:47 PM

I just ordered a R1S. Are you telling me that the MSH might be plastic. I'll report back once I get it...
Old 06-02-2019, 11:20 AM

My new Huntsville R!S has a steel MSH. Not sure when it was built though, sn# RHH07xxxx.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:08 PM

I took delivery of a new R1 stainless (not enhanced) a couple days ago (from Bud's) and it not only has a steel MSH, but son-of-a-gun if it doesn't have a very nice CHECKERED steel MSH.