Remington Layoffs - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 01:58 PM

Remington Layoffs

I had heard on the radio that the Remington layoffs were going to have some impact on the new home site here in Huntsville, Al. Here is some recent news.

I'm thinking that they will never get the warranty repair service set up AT THE FACTORY and will continue to push that work to small gun shops around the country.

I am also thinking that I probably won't be seeing anymore production runs of the hi-cap .45ACP 1911s. I still haven't found one to fondle.

Quote:
HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - Gun manufacturer Remington is laying off 200 employees between three different manufacturing facilities located in Arkansas, Illinois, and Huntsville.

WAFF 48 News has received a copy of an internal memo given to Remington employees detailing the layoffs. According to the memo, Remington’s inventory exceeds demand for the company’s firearms.

We reached out to the company to find out how many of those layoffs will be in Huntsville but we were told “no comment.”

Huntsville city leaders and the Huntsville/Madison County Chamber of Commerce were not sure how many employees are at Remington’s facility in Huntsville or how many would be laid off.

Remington declared bankruptcy in 2018.

The company also paid back Morgan County, Limestone County, Madison County, and Athens for tax breaks awarded to the company after it failed to meet recruitment targets outlined in a previous agreement.

The city of Huntsville granted Remington an extension to meet a hiring quota of at least 415 employees. Remington has until Dec. 31 to meet that goal or it will also owe Huntsville money.

We reached out to the state Department of Labor to see if they knew anything about layoffs at Remington. We are told the company would have to notify the state if it planned to lay off 33 percent of its workforce or more.
In another article in the last two days:

Quote:

(al.com) In November 2018, the city of Huntsville restructured its deal that brought Remington to Alabama to allow the struggling gunmaker to recover from the bankruptcy.

Under the new deal, Remington must maintain an employment level of at least 415 workers in Huntsville. Shane Davis, the city's director of urban and economic development, said at the time that Remington had about 450 employees in Huntsville.

Remington is obligated to employ 1,868 workers at the Huntsville plant by 2023 but has no other employee obligations to meet beyond maintaining the minimum of 415 workers. Remington is scheduled to next give an employee count to Huntsville officials on Dec. 31.

Remington could dip below 415 as long as it returns to that level by the end of the year.

“Per our agreement, the IDB (acting as an agent for the local governments) has a fiduciary responsibility to review the employment numbers as of December 31, 2019, per the required annual reporting due in the first quarter of 2020,” Chip Cherry, president and CEO of the Huntsville-Madison County Chamber of Commerce and secretary of the Huntsville Industrial Development Board, said in a statement to AL.com.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:49 PM

could be that Remington is not long for this world....
Old 03-15-2019, 08:23 PM

Someone will buy the name...again...and continue make the core products...700 actions, etc. Remington, like Colt, S&W, etc. ceased to exist long ago in its original form.
Distinguished Pistol #388

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 03-15-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2019, 11:27 AM

Not to worry, as I'm sure Dick's will hire any displaced Remington employee. They just have to learn the ins & outs of active wear
Old 03-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Administrator

We need Obama back. Best gun salesman there ever was.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:12 PM

Them Clintons did a pretty fair job also....... When they were getting ready to do the weapons ban in 1994 our shop was hauling crates of SKSs and 7.62X39 ammo to gun shows and we sold every single one by Sat. lunchtime. It was unbelievable. People standing in line to buy them and we had a kid with a dolly hauling crates of ammo out to the customer's cars - and he was wore out by the end of the show. The Boss was standing around grinning all day.

Last edited by drail; 03-17-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:01 PM

Aaaaaaghhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
We need Obama back. Best gun salesman there ever was.
Sometimes the silver lining is RAZOR sharp.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
Someone will buy the name...again...and continue make the core products...700 actions, etc. Remington, like Colt, S&W, etc. ceased to exist long ago in its original form.
Mossberg still exists in its original form. Nearly everyone else has been reorganized on multiple occasions.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:31 AM

I feel badly for the employees not for the organization
Old 03-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Remington is a highly marketable brand name, just as Colt and Winchester are. Unfortunately whatever comes out of this will be a shadow of its former self, just like Winchester is. And yes Colt isn't too far behind. That really leaves Smith & Wesson as the last of the great original US gunmakers.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 PM

Angry

When Remington WINS, I hope to hear of MASSIVE layoffs in CT's state gummint.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:41 AM

So sad. I've been around long enough to remember that when a gunsmith planned to build a "custom rifle" for a customer, it was very common for him to buy a new Remington Model 700 ADL in the desired caliber, remove the stock and barrel and start the custom work with that 700 action. Not the Winchester model 70 or Savage 110, but the Remington 700. And what about the Remington Model 870 Wingmaster (not Sportsman). Arguably the greatest mass produced shotgun ever made.

I can imagine the gun world without these two iconic firearms.