Anyone hold your gun like John Wick? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 11:40 AM

Anyone hold your gun like John Wick?

I came across this shooting method in a tactics course a while back. Its called center axis relock. It looks like a modified weaver. We used more as a transition from weaver or isoceles when we had to peek around corners that are in tight spots.

Can't say that we practiced shooting this way, just the weaver/isoceles way.
I also saw something written on it here.
Just wondered if anyone out there practice shooting this way.

Last edited by rav373; 04-23-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Years ago this “style” of shooting blew up on YouTube with all kinds of instructors trying to teach it. I really only saw one guy. The man who created this style exercise the technique with speed and precision.

It seemed to be a fad and quickly faded away. I’ve tried it at while shooting to honestly it’s not conducive to recoil management and speed and accuracy.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 PM

yeh, now with the John Wick thing more fad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 12:20 PM

Dude, that's cutting edge stuff. You keep the gun close so that you can quickly spin and engage multiple targets. Also, the tilted gun is the latest in gangsta protocol whereby you direct the empties into the face of your attacker as well as shooting him. I've been training the same way. I now shoot with the gun completely sideways while wearing a hoodie and shouting gangsta expletives.

Last edited by bradsvette; 04-23-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:38 PM

If you fired the gun in that position it would be deafening. You would probably get crap sprayed into your eyes too. Makes it real easy for somebody to sneak up behind you.

Canting the gun is normal in a barricade position.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 PM

Isn't the interweb wonderful?!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2019, 01:29 PM

Looks like a decent ready position to me. see threat, feel the need to shoot press out into a Modern isosceles position and shoot. He trains with Taran Butler for his roles in John Wick maybe he's teaching that. He's pretty good
Old 04-23-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lppd4 View Post
Looks like a decent ready position to me. see threat, feel the need to shoot press out into a Modern isosceles position and shoot. He trains with Taran Butler for his roles in John Wick maybe he's teaching that. He's pretty good
THIS

If you watch his movies he does NOT shoot from this position. He uses it to move through tight/crowded areas.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:43 PM

That looks to me like compressed high ready, used when not actively shooting and or moving.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 04-23-2019, 10:56 PM

This past weekend, I saw some of the officers on the show LivePD using this technique.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:20 AM

I took an EP class that touched upon that style of shooting. It is limited to certain scenarios but doesn't take the place of regular stances. Just another tool for the toolbox.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lppd4 View Post
Except in a ready position his finger should be off the trigger. He needs to go back to Taran for some remedial training.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:02 AM

Not exclusive to Mr. Wick.

I have seen this stance in numerous cop and military shows -SEAL Team, Strike Back, and even The Punisher Netflix series.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:42 AM

John Wick grip and cant

Hollywood is not the best method to judge a proper pistol grip.....

When using the two thumbs forward modern grip, a good grip on the gun is important, but for shots at distances of 5 yards or less, it really doesn't make much difference if the gun is canted....as long as the gun is pointed correctly with some type of "flash" sight picture. The picture showing Keanu Reeves holding the gun does not show his weak hand thumb extended forward, so perhaps he is not using the correct two thumbs forward grip....?

The problem with using a canted gun position, is with Patridge style sights, it is difficult to get a square front sight positioned correctly centered in the square notch of the rear sight quickly and consistently each time the gun is canted. However, for 5 yards or less distance, trigger control is more important than perfect sight alignment when shooting fast.....but the amount of muzzle jump may make it more difficult when shooting with a canted grip.....

I prefer the muzzle to lift "straight up" and settle back down to the original aiming area when shooting fast......when shooting with a canted grip, the muzzle may lift and move on an angle and may not allow the best recoil recovery when shooting fast at longer distances.....
Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 AM

The John Wick movies do a very decent job of weapon manipulation/handling. In that pic, it looks like someone approaching a barrier to engage.
Personally I do better if I cant my torso and keep the gun centered, but hey whatever works. Keanu Reeves is actually pretty capable and seems to (mostly) use a modern thumbs fwd grip technique.
That being said, it is a movie and highly stylized.

I freely admit I thoroughly enjoy those movies.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 04-29-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVK View Post
Except in a ready position his finger should be off the trigger. He needs to go back to Taran for some remedial training.
Umm, does anyone here really think Wick cares if he has an AD?

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 04-29-2019, 07:09 AM

How about the scene in John Wick 2 where they're shooting up the concert with hundreds of innocents around. No, John Wick is not worried about an AD. PS, not that many thoroughly read another's post, but FWIW I was kidding in my previous post.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:08 AM

Mr Wick uses several different holds... I think it depends on the camera angle and how many bad guys are attacking him.
Attached Thumbnails
3426339-3189350-john-wick-is-keanu-reeves-best-movie-since-the-matrix.jpg  
Old 04-29-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
Umm, does anyone here really think Wick cares if he has an AD?
I do. As I look at him, his gun is pointed right at me.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 AM

Its ok for Hollyweird stuff....But I love the Wick movies.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-29-2019, 10:55 AM

A friend who went to cinema school said most of the strange gun holds are for dramatic purposes, so the gun and the actor's face are still visible when zoomed.

Makes as much sense as any of the other explanations I've heard...
Old 04-29-2019, 01:51 PM

Never been in a gunfight. But at the range, No. I don't use that hold.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:52 PM

But, hey, the day is young. Ya never know.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:33 PM

It is being taught for two reasons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
That looks to me like compressed high ready, used when not actively shooting and or moving.
And when extra strength is needed especially when injured and weak hand only threat assessment/self defense.

Smiles,
Old 04-29-2019, 03:56 PM

Just last week I read that article about the center axis relock and tried it out with 4 or 5 magazines. It worked pretty well for me. I could see where it would be useful in a close confrontation.