Who shoots their expensive 1911’s a lot? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 09:05 AM

Who shoots their expensive 1911’s a lot?

Who on this forum shoots their expensive 1911’s a lot? I have a Les Baer Premier II and a Springfield Professional. My buddies tell me not to shoot them a lot because of the price tags. I think they should be shot a lot. Why else have them? It’s not like they are going to be collectibles one day.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:13 AM

As a motor deputy, in Florida, I carried my Springfield Pro as a duty weapon. It held up fine. I have a Nighthawk Falcon that I carry and shoot. I do have a custom built 1911 in high polish blue. This is a retirement gift. It was built by Drake's Gun Works. This one I don't carry very often.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:24 AM

My most expensive 1911s are the ones I shoot the most. Your friends are wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mine are what I shoot the most these days, and my carry gun is a Wilson Supergrade Pro in .45 that I practice with regularly. For my firearms classes, the Wilson XTAC Pro or the Hackathorn Special commander, both in 9mm, are what I use for the high round-count classes. Your friends have their strategy, I have mine. You have to decide for yourself what yours is.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Our friend Markwell carry and shoot his Wilson ULC pistol. You can say he does not baby the gun from this picture.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:42 AM

I shoot mine almost exclusively. It's a rare wallet that can afford enough ammo to wear one out. And if on the off chance you can afford enough ammo to wear one out....big deal. Buy another.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:45 AM

I expect my most expensive guns to shoot the best.
They are configured for competition, IDPA, USPSA, SCSA.

We see a lot of guns of top quality but pretty close to stock layout that would not serve me; they lack stuff that would help my score. A gold bead sight is prettier than a green plastic fiber optic, but not as quick to the target. A wide mouth magazine well funnel breaks up the visual lines and is seldom found on the art pieces.

On the carry side, well polished blue steel is attractive, but heavy; I'm into aluminum and increasingly, plastic.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:13 AM

I don't have expensive 1911s because they don't interest me, but I do have a few expensive items that are made in Switzerland and I wear the bejesus out of them.

I can see one buys a Rembrandt and not putting the darn out out in the elements, but buying a Ferrari GTO and not driving the hell out of it? Or a Wilson Combat/name-your-cool-shop-here and not shooting the hell out of it? Unthinkable.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:17 AM

My Wilson Combats are all that I carry and shoot at this point. The rest reside in the safe.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:30 AM

It's a gun first, and a show piece second. IMO they're meant to shoot, and shoot well. If I wanted to invest in something to lock away in a safe gold, silver, and jewelry exist and make better investments.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:35 AM

If/when I buy an expensive 1911, I'll be purchasing it to carry some and to shoot - a lot. I personally would never spend that kind of money on something and then set it on a shelf or in a safe.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:38 AM

My Wilsons are so good I can't help but shoot them, the performance and feel just make everything else I have that's not a custom CZ pointless to waste ammo and time on.

I have 55k on one, 15k on another and 6k on the X9 and about the same on my Brown with the rest of a then having 3-5k but not over 6 yet with the exception of the SG and pro since I keep them nearly unused as references of quality
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 05-21-2020, 10:52 AM

I think that you answered your own question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger9701 View Post
Who on this forum shoots their expensive 1911ís a lot? I have a Les Baer Premier II and a Springfield Professional. My buddies tell me not to shoot them a lot because of the price tags. I think they should be shot a lot. Why else have them? Itís not like they are going to be collectibles one day.
That is the reason why you were willing to pay more for them. To have a better gun to shoot.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:59 AM
Administrator

I carry a Rogers Precision gun. I've taken it (and other equivalent guns) to Gunsite, the NTI, various matches, etc. They're machines, not art.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:05 AM
Administrator

If your "expensive 1911" is a custom like a Wilson or Ed Brown there is absolutely no reason not to shoot it. That's what they were made for, and 20 years from now when you try to sell it you'll find that even if still LNIB it won't be worth but a fraction of what you paid. Customs don't hold their value well because it seems they're always being improved.

On the other hand, if you "expensive 1911" is a vintage classic like a WW1 or WW2 pistol then it's not wise to shoot them. The better their condition the higher their value, and they were not made to shoot the volumes of ammo people put through their guns nowadays.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:16 AM

I always figured that someone else would wear the new off of them after I am dead and gone if I did not shoot them now. I bought them for me and not for them.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:42 AM

I shoot my Wilson CQB more than any of my other 1911's. The rest are Colts and one Kimber Warrior. Kimber is shot the least, so may get a .460 Rowland treatment.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:55 AM

If you had an early Pro (Nowlin barrel, no MIM parts) in unfired/ANIB condition, there would certainly be an argument for keeping it that way (and buying a later one as a shooter). Aside from those, there’s no collector value there.

Same with Baers, Wilsons, Browns, and other semi-customs. Not only are they not collectibles, most of them depreciate like a sack of wet cement thrown from an airplane. There’s absolutely no reason not to shoot them.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_TX View Post
If you had an early Pro (Nowlin barrel, no MIM parts) in unfired/ANIB condition, there would certainly be an argument for keeping it that way (and buying a later one as a shooter). Aside from those, thereís no collector value there. .....
Meh....there's a pretty slim argument there....

I have a Pro. I'd shoot it even if the serial # started with "FBI......".
Old 05-21-2020, 12:18 PM

By most people’s standards I probably don’t have a lot of hand guns. I do have a few nice guns. I have sold every hand gun I didn’t shoot a lot or that didn’t meet my expectations for accuracy.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_TX View Post
If you had an early Pro (Nowlin barrel, no MIM parts) in unfired/ANIB condition, there would certainly be an argument for keeping it that way (and buying a later one as a shooter). Aside from those, there’s no collector value there. .....
Meh....there's a pretty slim argument there....

I have a Pro. I'd shoot it even if the serial # started with "FBI......".
Well, I didn’t say that it’s the only possible position. An early Pro in the described condition has additional value as a collectible, and a later Pro has none. People can reasonably differ as to whether that matters to them.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:15 PM

I bought a Wilson CQB a dozen years ago. I wanted to get one then (age 55) and not wait till retirement as I've seen others do. I've shot it in 2-3 matches a month since then. No idea how many rounds through it. My Sprinfield is my backup.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:19 PM

I treat my Wilsons exactly the same as the Colts. I shoot them when I get the chance. I carry a Wilson every day. I’m too old for cheap tools. I only wear ivory.

Last edited by STORM2; 05-21-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:25 PM

My Premier II has 20,000 rounds through it and is still tight as a drum and accuracy has not diminished at all. The past few years my round count has been down with it as I only shoot one hand bullseye with it now. My average range day is shooting a Wilson and I have 20,000 or more rounds through them combined, they are my everyday carry guns.

Why have a nice gun if you can’t enjoy shooting it, a lot.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 05-21-2020, 01:42 PM

Iv'e never bought a gun with even the idea of reselling them and the nicer they are usually the nicer they shoot, so I tend to shoot them the most.