1911Forum banner

Be watching....

22K views 219 replies 57 participants last post by  combat auto 
#1 ·
Be watching.....announcement from Wilson in coming days.

I would call this one a no nonsense tool, all about function....if on vacation you may want to save your pennies. :D

#147 ·
We have a winner.... and an incautious dealer.

Who wants to start guessing the specs?

#161 ·
Hell's bells. I wanted to see the Colt/Wilson Combat CQB Elite. Of course it would need a loose front sight and rattling grip safety.

#167 · (Edited)
Good find. That is freaking beautiful. The serrations are perfect. I can see a railed version as an option, and like yall spoke of earlier possibly an RMR cut option as well. I can see this developing into its own family of pistols. I like it. +1 for Wilson and Larry on this one.

#166 ·
The picture isn't showing up for me.

I have to say that I'm a little let down, since I know it's another signature model. I was hoping for something a little more "Wilson Combat" and less "someone else's version of a Wilson Combat." This is, of course, assuming this is the new model.

Like someone else mentioned, it takes the "custom" out of the equation. On the upside, though, people purchasing these signature editions are usually getting a very good, well optioned 1911. So it may not be custom, but it's high quality. So it's not all bad.

#186 ·
I have to say that I'm a little let down, since I know it's another signature model. I was hoping for something a little more "Wilson Combat" and less "someone else's version of a Wilson Combat."
I couldn't have said it better. Another big yawner. And those cocking serrations are abysmal.

#168 ·
Looks cool, but I won't be getting one. Just don't need it. I like the look though and I'm sure a lot of people will like these as well.

Really weird that they have one for sale already...

#169 · (Edited)
Dammit Birdy was right about that gold bead front sight. :eek:

I like the new style cocking serrations but they aren't very Wilson-like.

BEST PART OF ALL . . . it looks like the Vickers logo is only on the grips! (again, no offense to Mr. Vickers, I don't want anyone else's name on my gun). So this means one could buy it and "de-Vickerize" it simply by installing new grips! :rock:

#172 ·
Your "BEST PART OF ALL" point was the first thing I looked for also. I was pleased to see the logo is only on the grips, so the advertisement can be removed easily and inexpensively.

It's actually a pretty nice looking gun. Good options. And I guess the price isn't too bad for the options it has. Quite similar to the way I would spec a gun.

So while in my last post I said I was disappointed to see it was another signature model, seeing it makes me less disappointed. I would've liked to have seen something different, but this gun is nice.

#184 ·
Boom!
Full-Size Carbon Steel Frame
30 LPI High Cut Checkered Frontstrap
Bullet Proof® Round Butt Magazine Well
Bobbed High-Ride Bullet Proof® Beavertail Grip Safety
Tactical Bullet Proof® Thumb Safety
Crisp Trigger Pull with Medium Length Pad
Bullet Proof® Magazine Release
G10 Vickers Elite Logo Grips
Countersunk Slide Stop
Carbon Steel Slide
Heavy Machine Chamfer on Bottom of Slide
Battlesight with Gold Bead Front Sight
Stainless Match Grade Barrel and Thick Flange Bushing, Flush Cut Reverse Crown
Flat Wire Recoil Spring
Fluted Chamber
30 LPI Slide Top Serrations
40 LPI Serrated Rear of Slide
Wide Front and Rear Cocking Serrations
Ball Endmill Cuts

#188 ·
It is a nice WC-1911, so in that sense a fine pistol...Other than that not something very "remarkable", unless one wants someone else to pick 1911 options for them. Those serrations are not for me, especially having them up front.

Yawn, I think I need another cup of coffee. Someone start a new rumor thread please - so we can start from scratch. ;)
C.A.

#189 · (Edited)
Yes, "yawn"... but as I wrote, we are not "normal".

Marketing signature models is nothing new. Nighthawk started this strategy many years ago with Costa, Heinie, Marvel, etc. Apparently with great success.

The rear cocking serration design looks like the one of Guncrafter Industries. Personally, I don't like it.

Difficult to really have new ideas in the 1911 world.
A great one is Challis hex bushing, but unfortunately Wilson is not enough progressive to adopt it (or maybe there's another reason).

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=494978

#190 ·
Hmmm....Ok, I like LAV. Not sure about the cocking serrations though. The default Wilson serrations are not my favorite. I would have to see how these are in hand.

Come on, Birdy. That's my one gripe about Wilson. Cocking serration style and strap checkering.

#192 ·
What a letdown. A collection of cosmetic options flying under the banner of another one of those experts who is the only one in the room smart enough to shoot a 1911... which he seldom does.

But now that it is done, can we arrange a shoot-off between a Wilson Vickers and a Nighthawk Vickers? Can you spell M e r c e n a r y?
And wait, Mr Vickers will deign to throw together a gun himself every once in a while, so maybe somebody will even kick in a Vickers Vickers for comparison.

I still think they could sell a SO9.1 with in-house single stack frame and the dedicated 9mm upper. Maybe even just a limited edition to use up parts on hand, if any.

#200 ·
What a letdown. A collection of cosmetic options flying under the banner of another one of those experts who is the only one in the room smart enough to shoot a 1911... which he seldom does.

But now that it is done, can we arrange a shoot-off between a Wilson Vickers and a Nighthawk Vickers? Can you spell M e r c e n a r y?
And wait, Mr Vickers will deign to throw together a gun himself every once in a while, so maybe somebody will even kick in a Vickers Vickers for comparison.
Jim,

Don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel about this new model. :rofl:

#193 ·
Seriously guys, what kind of 1911 unicorn do you expect from Wilson?

Thinking about that, there's only one 1911 I can remember with a little wow-effect and the sum of some small "innovations" (just my humble opinion):
- Flat-wire spring
- Clever adjustable rear sight design
- One piece magwell (was new at that time)
- Cunning slide/barrel design

Nice innovations but nothing like iPod or iPhone.
It's 1911, not IT. It's Wilson, not Jobs. :D

#194 ·
Thinking about that, there's only one 1911 I can remember with a little wow-effect and the sum of some small "innovations" (just my humble opinion):
- Flat-wire spring
- Clever adjustable rear sight design
- One piece magwell (was new at that time)
- Cunning slide/barrel design
Sorry, I had a flat wire recoil spring in a 1911oid before Bill did.

I agree the Wilson adjustable sight installation looks neat, but I am generally opposed to proprietary sight cuts that limit your future options. (I thought the SO 9 sight was really weird and inconsiderate.)

At the Wilson level, certainly at the Supergrade level, the mag well funnel ought to be one piece WITH THE FRAME, not a mainspring housing protrusion. I visualize something in between the Caspian Race Ready and the Chen Weld-On as far as depth and prominence.

You going to have to explain that cunning barrel and slide business.

#206 ·
I would really like to see a retro gun from Wilson. It wouldn't be something earth shattering in the 1911 market, but it would be different for Wilson Combat. And because it would be something new to the company, and because it would be Wilson Combat quality, it would probably sell very well.

I have two "signature edition" 1911s. First one I got was a Les Baer Thunder Ranch. The reason I got it was because I had a Les Baer Ultimate Tactical Carry on order, and they're the exact same gun. The TRS was in stock at a local shop, so it was picked up to hold me over until my UTC came in. I still have it, because, well, I just like the Baers I have. The other "signature edition" 1911 I have is a Nighthawk Bob Marvel. I wanted it because it has features not found on many guns. It had uniqueness. I could live without the Bob Marvel logos, but I really like the rest of the gun enough to not mind. Had it just been another Nighthawk loaded with typical Nighthawk options, I would not have wanted the gun.

#212 ·
I would really like to see a retro gun from Wilson. It wouldn't be something earth shattering in the 1911 market, but it would be different for Wilson Combat. And because it would be something new to the company, and because it would be Wilson Combat quality, it would probably sell very well.
L2R,

Let's explore the idea of a retro Wilson. It's an interesting idea, it really is but I see two potential issues with it:

1. Wilson Combat was created to modernize/evolve the 1911. Offering a retro 1911 might go against their ethos.

2. In your opinion how far retro should they go? Replace the beavertail with a tang? No lowering/flaring of the ejection port? Tiny sights? No trigger guard cuts (pre A1)? These attributes would make for a high quality collector's model but it could get to the point where, regardless of the quality, the gun just isn't enjoyable to shoot. Did you ever fire a 1911 with those tiny sights? In my (not so humble) opinion they are no fun.

It's seriously not a bad idea and I'm not trying to slam you in any way, just generating some talking points. :)

#220 · (Edited)
;)
L2R,

Let's explore the idea of a retro Wilson. It's an interesting idea, it really is but I see two potential issues with it:

1. Wilson Combat was created to modernize/evolve the 1911. Offering a retro 1911 might go against their ethos.

It's seriously not a bad idea and I'm not trying to slam you in any way, just generating some talking points. :)
45, I do not think the "ethos" angle is valid...C'mon, they are selling Beretta's. NOT that their is anything wrong with that!;)

And as far as fun shooting, as you know I have the TB 1911 - and they are an absolute hoot to shoot. Not something I would want to shoot every range-trip, but really fun every once in a while...As I posted above, all the design really needs are modern day sites and it would make a great carry gun, slim, relatively light compared to modern-day 1911s, accurate, - the small beavertail really makes no difference in the shootability (for me anyway) and the small thumb safety only "hurts" after 100 rounds or so, hence in SD it would make no difference...

I think a WC-retro is a great idea, I already have one so would not be in the market (one is enough).
C.A.

#196 ·
Oh, rash assumption on my part.
But you DID post The Other Berryville Gun on the WC board, didn't you, so we cannot assume ideological purity.

I have seen some aberrant barrel and slide designs I guess you could call "cunning." Some of the barrel designs might actually contribute to shooting qualities. Back when I was young and impressionable and Bill was just moving from watches to guns, I thought the Devel Simplex was a fine thing.

#197 ·
#198 ·
My FLG likes that scheme, too.
Most but not all of his retain the bushing. I have one with, used to have one without.
A flat wire spring is a necessity the way my guy does it.

I am against the "bull nose" or any other front end that requires me to orient the recoil spring plug upon reassembly. Why do I need a monogram on the muzzle of my pistol?

#201 ·
the new AR models, triggers, and barrels have been really nice additions.

A chen style integrated/blended magwell would be nice and i am surprised it isn't offered.

I am just not a big believer in these "expert shooter X" models of any sort, be it a 1911 or AR.

I have been thru 4 days of weapons training at this point (i am not an expert at all). Always focused on the AR or the 1911. I have been getting so much conflicting advice over sight options and grip styles that it makes me laugh. Even holster and rig set ups are highly variable.

The last training session was interesting since the advice was to carry the 1911 hammer down on an empty chamber, and rack the slide... yeah no i won't be doing that. Same guy also advised to have an ambi safety, and to shoot with ur thumb over the safety. (i tried that and it slowed down my times, widened my groups, and was just not comfortable)

I have decided at this point to grip the gun and shoot the gun in the way that works for myself. That includes options and accessories.

#205 · (Edited)
Some of the options on the LAV are nice, as is the case on many signature guns. My turn off is the association to a person. Sadly I've seen some people choose these guns because they unconsciously feel that the real or perceived greatness of the individual will somehow rub off, or that it gives them a leg up on the guy in the next lane.

For the folks here who order a signature gun this is most certainly not the case. We know the difference and choose based on what the gun provides. It's options first, then name association second, and there's nothing wrong with giving a nod to an accomplished shooter or company if you choose. But for the masses, which forumites apparently aren't, the order is often reversed.

I have an X-Tac which, had it been under someone's name, I would have never purchased.

#208 ·
Wilson is not ready for the official announcement. Internet information momentum is both a blessing and a curse. You'll have to wait.

My educated guess: $3,850.00 MSRP.

#210 ·
Wait till Greg ( Tractus ) post pictures of one . It will make us want to buy one . His photography ( not quit birdy skill but close) will make you want to buy an iner-tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.