My new Talon II 9mm - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-09-2019, 09:14 PM

My new Talon II 9mm

Last fall I paid a couple visits to Nighthawk in Berryville AR, and spec’d out a gun and placed my order. Picked it up a couple weeks ago. The base model for the build was a Talon II (commander size), all stainless steel, in 9mm. No carry curve, just plain grip shape. I specified a gold bead front sight and NH’s fully adjustable rear in plain black (no tritium). Other added options are crowned barrel flush with bushing, one piece magwell and mainspring housing, everlast recoil spring but with standard GI type guide rod and plug, thin Aluma Grips (with an 2nd set of thin cocobolo grips), shortened slide stop axle with beveled frame, and totally blacked out with a coating of Diamond Like Carbon (DLC). While waiting for my “baby” to be born, I ordered a custom leather holster from Wright Leather Works, and a few extra Chip McCormick magazines (two Chip mags came with the gun). This won’t be a daily carry gun, but will be used in IDPA and other paper punching, as well as outdoor carry in the woods where I live. Why 9mm commander? Mainly because all my other 1911s are government 45ACPs. All my IDPA holsters and mag pouches work just fine. So far I’ve put about 160 rounds of assorted factory ammo thru it, with no hiccups of any sort. Clearly the most accurate 1911 I own. I handload 9mm, but want to thoroughly test the gun with factory fodder. Half of what I shot was ball, half was JHP.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot from 2019-04-09 20-00-48.png   Screenshot from 2019-04-09 20-04-10.png  
Old 04-09-2019, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the write-up! How do you like the DLC? I'm considering DLC on a Classic 9mm for IDPA/USPSA but it gets pretty spendy, wondering if standard stainless would be just as good.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:05 AM

I'm happy with the DLC finish. I wanted sort of a "retro" look, and DLC looks like "blued". I did a lot of research about DLC resistance to corrosion, abrasion and friction. It's just about the most durable finish available. The final straw for me was when a Nighthawk gunsmith showed me a completed DLC finished gun. He then took a piece of metal on a ball point pen and "scratched" back and forth on the side of the slide. It looked like it was seriously defaced, but he then proceeded to rub all the marks of with only his thumb. Of all the finish choices NH offers, DLC is clearly the winner for me. It is a bit pricey, but I just took a little more from my kids' inheritance! LOL!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:10 AM

Very Nice, who is the gunsmith?
Old 04-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Nah they can inherit the Talon! Thanks for the info.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:38 PM

The gunsmith on this build is Bryan Chaney. I'm very happy with his work. Nice guy, too.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:40 AM

I like the small Talon billboard, looks much better.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:51 PM

Update: so far I've put about 400+ rounds thru the gun with no hiccups EXCEPT I had one magazine from Wilson Combat that failed to lock the slide back on empty. WC promptly replaced it; their service was excellent. I thoroughly lubed all 3 WC mags, and have had no more problems of any sort. No problems with Chip McCormack mags either. As for the Talon, I couldn't be happier. Trigger is perfect, and the thumb safety is easy to snap on or off with my strong hand thumb. That's been a problem with some 1911s, ie, that the safety is so stiff I cannot easily engage with just a flick of the thumb. I like the gold bead front sight; it's almost as easy to pick up as a fiber optic. I do find that field stripping requires a bushing wrench. And I agree that I love the understated "Talon" logo on the slide. Classy looking gun.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:28 PM

One more update on my NH Talon II experience. Since purchase, I've put several hundred rounds thru it. Did have a couple more "failure to lock open on empty" with Wilson mags, so I gifted them to a friend. Now have 8 Chip McCormack and/or Metalform mags, all of which have NEVER malfunctioned in any way. Finally got to shoot the gun in a local IDPA monthly match, and was very pleased. No malfunctions, and just about my best ever performance. Mind you, I'm back to "novice class", since I've been away from IDPA for awhile.

Why would the NH shoot better for me than other 9mms I've used? First, it's inherently accurate. Second, the black rear sight with gold bead front is great for my eyes. Next, the safety is easy to manipulate; I'm learning to "ride" the safety with my strong hand thumb. The trigger is a vast improvement over my other 9s. Of course, 9mm is much easier to shoot accurately compared to a 45. The grip checkering (including Alumagrips) gives a rock solid hold, and single stack is perfect for my hand. The beveled mag well makes reloads easier. The weight of an all steel gun helps too. This gun will be my "go to" gun for IDPA, but not for EDC. Love it!!!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:07 PM

Why not for EDC ?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:20 PM

Good question. First, an all steel large frame pistol is a little heavy for EDC. Second, in the event of any sort of "incident" involving a firearm, there's a very good chance that LEO will confiscate the firearm until the issue is settled. Brandishing, carrying in a prohibited place due to oversight, or a real life shooting could all result in police or judicial action. I'd rather give up a $500 polymer EDC or a decent production Colt Commander or similar.. Finally, I set the gun up primarily for competition and rounding out a collection, not EDC. For EDC I'd change a few things. But if I carried it, I'd feel well enough armed.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 AM

Very nice, I am sure you will enjoy it. I have a Talon II LW 9mm with the bobtail grip and gold bead front sight for an EDC. For me it is the perfect balance between size and weight. As far as I am concerned if my life is on the line, the price of the gun that maybe confiscated does not enter into the equation. Its range companion is my Lady Hawk 9mm which is a pure joy to shoot. As you stated, the all steel LH has grown a bit heavy for EDC as I have gotten older. I have no doubt the more you shoot it, the more you will love it!