1911Forum banner

Heat?.

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  1MoreFord 
#1 ·
I’m thinking about cases of the new premix for the chainsaws.

#2 ·
Your question is unclear. But, I'll give it a shot...since I heat my house with a wood-burning stove.

I have been using the pre-mix fuel in my chainsaws and other small engines for a few years now. Primarily because it is increasingly difficult to impossible to find non-ethanol gasoline around here these days, and the ethanol destroys rubber tubing/fuel lines, etc., in small engines at a very fast pace, and turns to watery fuel in short order---not so, the pre-mixes. But, they are PRICEY!

Edit...I just yesterday saw the pre-mixes offered in 5-gallon metal cans, instead of the gallons or quarts I usually see.

#3 ·
Small Engine Life

I don’t know what “Heat” is... I assume it is like what I use. I have a bunch of small engines that run off two stroke. This stuff works great - no carb problems anymore. This engines run really good on the premixed stuff.

I live in Lee County Alabama and you can’t find the stuff since the horrible tornado. If I could find five gallon cans of the stuff I would buy it.

Big fan... if I am not mistaken I think the sealed containers have a longer storage life than that that you would mix yourself.

Attachments

#4 ·
I don’t know what “Heat” is... I assume it is like what I use. I have a bunch of small engines that run off two stroke. This stuff works great - no carb problems anymore. This engines run really good on the premixed stuff.

I live in Lee County Alabama and you can’t find the stuff since the horrible tornado. If I could find five gallon cans of the stuff I would buy it.

Big fan... if I am not mistaken I think the sealed containers have a longer storage life than that that you would mix yourself.
That is exactly what I use, Harry. And, this year, for the first time, it is what I found in a round, metal, 5 gallon can. So keep an eye out for it.

#6 ·
I have used pre mix interchangeably, Tru-Fuel, Heat and even labelled store brand. Since I started I have had zero issues with storage or start up. This is at 5-7000 ft and temps from 90 to the teens.

I have mixed two stroke since I was a kid for motorcycles, but the gasoline is hard to get. If I could get av-gas or non ethanol I still might, but the pre-mix has been very good to all my machines, from weed eaters to chainsaws.

#7 · (Edited)
^^^^^

Yes, non-ethanol gas is hard to come by. For a while, I would take a 55 gallon drum over to the local airport and fill it with AV-GAS, and had a hand-pump on the drum...it worked great for all my small engines (and was MUCH cheaper per gallon), but when I would run out unexpectedly, it was handier to just grab a gallon or two of the Tru-Fuel.

#8 ·
I have been using the Tru fuel more and more myself.

At twenty bucks a gallon, it is a little pricey. But it is a very good product. Keeping two wood stoves going all winter I cut a lot of wood. Sometimes if I am going to be doing a lot of cutting I will use Ethanol free gas which is available all over around here.

But when I am finishing up. I will switch over to Tru fuel. Additionally I will run the saw dry before putting it up. I will be looking for the five gallon cans.

#11 ·
Good to know, Thanks!!
I'm 5 miles from a marina

The only other station that sells non corn liquor is two towns over

Been using can'd fuel for a couple years now in the small stuff
(weed eater, chainsaw, pole saw, hedge trimmer, etc)

so far so good.
I don't use enough of it for economics to be any real concern
The cost is worth the convenience and easy peasy pour of the quart cans
(to me)

Might go thru a 6 pack case or two at most a year for home use

..L.T.A.

#10 ·
My 2 strokes and small engines run fine on stabilized (with PRI-G) E10 gas. For long term storage, I spend the extra 60ish cents a gallon and get E free...

I use way too much 2 stroke gas to drop $20 a gallon on fuel...

FWIW, PRI-G is a worthwhile additive for storage, small engines, and improved economy in older vehicles. Its also cost effective- $35 a quart, but one ounce treats 16 gallons of fuel. I use it habitually in my first gen Tacoma; it produces a noticable performance increase and an additional 2.5 MPG...

#12 ·
Heat, I was told at the local fire house, is an alcohol fuel additive.
I had gas that had sat in a lawn mower too long and lost it's oomph, and asked how to get rid of the stuff. The answer, they told me, was to add Heat and pour it in the truck's gas tank and use it up.
It isn't a fuel preservative that I'm aware off as it would probably evaporate quickly if kept unsealed. Nor should it be the best in engines damaged to ethanol.

FWIW I've had no problems mixing my own 2-cycle fuel but I always use High Test Ethyl in 2 cycle mix for my small engines.

#13 ·
Heat, I was told at the local fire house, is an alcohol fuel additive.
brings up a very good point that maybe we should clarify , John

HEET makes several products
Most are fuel additives of some type
(dry-gas, octane boost, stabilizers etc)

Heat?.
I’m thinking about cases of the new premix for the chainsaws.

think most of us are thinking/talking ready to use canned fuel like Tru-Fuel and other brands that advertise 91+ octane and no alcohol/ethanol/corn liquor

..L.T.A.

#14 ·
I can get and do run non ethanal fuel in all my small engines, 2 stroke stuff gets Sthill Ultra oil in it. I run that all summer then winter stuff like the leaf blower that only gets used once a month will get the Sthill brand pre mixed fuel.

#15 ·
Wood heat also for cooking on top of the woodstove.

Grow corn to turn into alcohol fuel.

#17 ·
My chain saw is a Stihl 028 WB from 1980 . I have replaced the carb, lines & gas filter once once . Always used amsoil 2 stroke oil and gas with no alcohol in it . This old saw was used when we built each of our homes about ever ten years and to clear the occasion tree on our property or on road ways . . Were we used to live in florida 22+ years ago we had one gar station that pumped real gas that was near by , In the rural area of Western NC were we have lived for the last 22 years most of out gas stations have one no alcohol gas pump for all the old timers that would change even with there new vehicals but most times its there older trucks that are still running around .

Any how , good quality synthetic oil will not break down and gum up your fuel system . We use the same mix in our stihl string trimmers too . My chain saw my set a year or two . Chock it , give it a couple easy pulls and it fires right up .

We also two man cross cut 5' saw , a one man cross cut 3' saw and several good axes - just in case in the family .

Want to cook quick cheaply , Build a small rocket stove for cooking and planes can be found for a thermal mass type rocket stove for house heat . Does not take much wood to produce serious heat .

#18 ·
I add a tad more 2t oil to the 50:1 quart of pre mix. I been told the can of pre mix has a shelf life of three years. Maybe a tad of seafoam as a fuel stabilizer could extend that. Then it’s how many cases of these pre mix quarts do we stash away Incase of a shtf situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.