1911Forum banner

CQB 5" 9mm.

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  apipeguy 
#1 ·
Just put about 500 rounds thru the gun. Nice shooter. No failures with the Wilson Combat mags, but with the cobra/Tripp mags the gun went to slide lock before the last round. These mags work perfectly with my Les Baer. The gun also has a shock buff, are these really useful? Anybody else have this issue? Thanks Gene

#3 ·
I have a couple of CQB 9mm, I would throw the shock buff in the garbage can. My Vickers Elite in 9mm, it has over 17,000 rds. I got rid of the shock buff right away when new.

I only use the WC ETM mags, no experience with other mags.

When mine was new, I ran them really wet during break in. Now, not so much. They will go a couple thousand without cleaning if you want. When it gets really dirty, it will not lock back on empty. Just squirt some oil down the back of the slide and on the barrel hood and back to the races without issue.

#4 ·
Can't say honestly, I only have Wilson ETMs for my 9mm so I don't know how it would do with others. Mine went from the range counter to range after being heavily oiled and after one mag I threw the shock buff away and shot the gun till the recoil spring was worn. About 4800 rounds later I still hated how it recoiled and more importantly tracked so I switched it to the flat-wire system and my accuracy in particular at a given speed was much better and he raw times improved greatly as well.

I only have had one failure with the gun so far and it was a freak one that I've not been able to replicate.

#5 ·
Cobra Tripp Mags are excellent, but 1911’s can be particular about the Mags they want to run with.

The WC mags will likely be the way to go.

I’ll bet that 5” 9mm runs as smooth as a sewing machine and is a pleasure to shoot.

#7 ·
Very few will opine that a shock-buffer is needed, especially so in a 9mm chambered 1911.

Personally, for range use only, I'm in the minority who leave the shock-buffer in place (provided that the gun still runs reliably). Even though I agree that it's not necessary, I'd still -- nonetheless -- prefer to have less, rather than more, stress on the affected components. No other reason; merely a preference for "less"..."just because":D

But never in a carry gun.

#8 ·
I run a shock buff with my 5” .45’s and my EDC X9 that was designed to run with one. I don’t have a 5” 9mm but imagine that as long as it ran flawless with one, I would leave it in that, also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.