1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

University of Texas Protest

9K views 129 replies 78 participants last post by  sawgunner04 
#1 ·
#22 ·
and waaaay too many artsy, fartsy Californians courtesy of the entertainment industry …..

#5 ·
18-22 year olds + a number of professors.

Products of the education system.

Thankfully not all share such ridiculous sentiments; but too many do.

#17 · (Edited)
Fifty years ago. But your point remains equally relevant .. +1911.

From myself on past Forum post:

Among the details long since forgotten, on that day in 1966, when word first started to go around the campus about a man firing a gun, few people knew where, or in which building, he was located.

In the student Union Building (perhaps elsewhere as well), a rumor was circulating that the gunman was on the top floor of the Union Building and was working his way down, shooting people as he went.

No one in the Union Building was armed; no police of any kind were present. People suddenly realised, with at least some shock and horror, how defenseless and desperate they were if the rumor proved true. And the gunshots were audible, even indoors, although I suspect that someone experienced with shooting would have guessed, from the sound, that the shooter was likely further away.

Within about ten minutes of the rumor's circulation, most people inside of the Union Building fled outside, in other directions, with some undoubtedly walking directly into Whitman's line of fire, as that was the direction immediately facing the main entrance/exit of the Union Building in 1966. (if Whitman had been on that side of the Tower at the moment in time, which is something we'll never know).
^^^^

I was 11 years old at the time. Dad was a Professor of Sociology. Whole family was there (not uncommon as we had only one car), that day, and walked across from the Sociology building (think it was Garrison Hall) to the Union Building for lunch at about the time it all started. In retrospect, Whitman was probably shooting in a different direction (four possible directions) when we walked in front of the Tower. We discussed the clearly audible blasts, Dad thought it was probably related to construction in progress at a different building ... not a clue, among us at the time, that there was a man in the Tower shooting at people. Our first knowledge of a serious problem was the rumor I described above.
It is not fun to be unarmed when an evil-minded person is around ... a lesson that has always stayed with me.

#12 ·
Hard to tell where to post this absurdity. Wonder how they would fare against a mass shooter/ murderer ...
The prediction that I could make with great confidence, requires language I do not use for such purposes. Don't bring a toy to a gun fight.

What's truly astounding is that so many -smart- people can be so foolish. Not a lot of use giving out the lyrics here where only the choir will read them. <sigh>

#16 ·
So I guess in the case of sexual assault, they want to thrill the attacker, not kill him/her/it.

#20 · (Edited)
#26 ·
#21 ·
UT, Austin, not surprised, disappointing, entertaining, but again not really surprised.

A small group got others to pay attention to them. Not sure how this would play out for recruitment, but it did reinforce why my money and kids have not and will not ever go to UT.

#23 ·
Ahhh, young adults that are educated beyond their intelligence...it seems to take little to engage them in entertainment of some sort. If one of them ended up sexually assaulted and was on video as carrying around an artificial phallus, how would that be argued in court that they victim wasn't "advertising"? It is apparent they do not consider the consequences of their actions much; not surprise for the intellectually "disarticulated" that are coming through the universities these days.

#25 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, liberal, anti-gun, ideology is a disease aflicting, to at least some degree, all 50 states and all significant cities, places, etc.

It would be great if we could point to only a few specific places as being infected by the disease, and then isolate those places, but IMHO we deceive ourselves if we think the disease is not present in our own state, city, etc.

#52 ·
I agree with you, Deltahawk.
Our oldest daughter (now 41) graduated from UT with a BSN. She was and still is a Conservative, Christian woman. I remember her calling me several times and "venting" to me about her Liberal professors and the lies they were spewing to the class.

IMO, Austin and Houston are both Liberal sewers that don't share any of the traditional Texas values that are embraced in the rest of our state.
Semper Fi, TreeTop

#34 · (Edited)
fruit cakes in Austin

Ya gotta love my alma mater (Dec 72).. :rock: Not sure why anyone feels the need t o strap on a dildo to their back back to 'protest' anything except not being able to buy sex toys. At least the girls will have a nice toy for later.
NEVER try to argue with one of those hair on fire Liberals- logic is not anything they understand or use. Truth is just something that gets in the way. Facts mean nothing unless THEY made them up. Now, that said, they are a lot of fun to bait and let them rant and rage. hilarious, in fact. 1- must be 21 to have a CHL in Texas.. that eliminates Fr, Soph and most Jr's. But, they will still rage about KIDS with guns- yeah, the same KIDS that were in uniform protecting their scrawny little chicken a***s- 18-21 yr old veterans. But these whiney little punks wet their panties when they see a gun or a soldier.
Remember the "sophomore effect'- armed with a little information, (pardon the pun) they think they know it all.

#35 ·
Even though Texas allows for someone as young as 18 to get a CHL, it's only those who are currently in the military or who have been discharged under honorable conditions. If you look at the demographics of most colleges, the vast majority of them will be under 21 old and not subject to having a CHL anyway. Of those currently less than 21 who are allowed to get a CHL by the above mentioned clause, there's just not that many of them around who would be going to college. And when you factor in the likelihood of someone in general getting a CHL, only about 3-4% of those over 21 have CHLs. Those in the younger age groups are even less likely to have a CHL.

All in all, there's just not very many people who would even be possibly carrying if every person with a CHL carried on campus -- a handful, at best. They're making a big deal about nothing. For those older people who are more likely to have a CHL and carry, well, these are not the types of people they should be worrying about anyway.

I have actually been on one of the UT campuses since the change to conduct some business. I was not sure if they allowed open carry at the time, so I put my vest on, just like I used to do before campus carry was authorized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.