1911Forum banner

9mm 90gr, & 95gr Bullets

13K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Centaur 1 
#1 ·
Anytime I pick up bullets, which is generally Hornady XTP in 115gr, I can't help but notice Hornady XTP in 90gr HP, Sierra Sports Master in 90gr HP, and Sierra Tournament Master in 95gr FMJ.

They look like fun / interesting bullets to experiment with, so I was wondering if anyone reloads and shoots 90gr or 95gr bullets?

Pros, cons, accuracy?

#2 ·
Very short bullets may suffer from instability if they can't grip the bore.
Or maybe not, it depends on the gun and how well it is suited to them.
And for most daily use, the instability is almost meaningless.
Just don't use them in a serious match.

Those small bullets are marketed for 380auto.
They usually have very very blunt noses
to work in the 380auto chamber.
They actually look funny seated in a 9x19 case.

But for blasting and plinking and fun stuff,
they work perfectly well. Try some. Plenty of data available.
Just check the seating to make sure you don't get setback.

#6 ·
As the Norm Nick is on spot.
I know we are talking jacketed but have shot the Plated 355's in 9mm as well as my 356242 Lyman 90 grain I just sized to 357 Ww231 and Red Dot loads worked best
Even the 356 undersized for a 9mm, lead ones worked well with no leading since lead was 10-12 BHN and soft enough to fit well

#7 ·
I recently purchased a bunch of frangible 90gr 9mm bullets for plinking. These rounds are as long or longer than 147gr bullets. Shorter rounds will be a problem in 9mm. The lighter bullets are really meant for .380.

#9 ·
The shorter bullets might require an unusually short OAL, and this might or might not be a problem. I think that nearly all of these light weight bullets I've used have run in my pistols. it might depend on your gun, but it's worth a try since it might love them. They can be driven fast, and with moderate loads can have a lower recoil impulse than heavier bullets.

#12 ·
I'm new to reloading and Hornady 9mm 90 gr XTPs were the very first rounds I loaded.

I shot them out of a Sig P226.

Here's the load I used from a member on another message board:

Hornady 90 XTP JHP
Win SP Primers
Once Fired Brass
6.0 grains Unique
1.063" OAL

Functioned fine, accuracy wasn't great. I was just happy because everything worked. :dope:

#14 ·
I mainly shoot a 100 grain flat nose bullet that I cast using a Ranch Dog mold that was designed for use in a .380 acp. I load to an overall length of 1.0" and it has fed reliably in every 9mm that I've tried it in. Recoil is very light in all loads, but I load it down even lighter when shooting small guns like the Kel-tec. My favorite powder is Power Pistol, I load a max of 6.8 grains and a min of 5.0 grains. Unique works well also, 5 grains makes a nice load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.