1911Forum banner

Break in - FTE

5K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  jaep1911 
#1 ·
So, I have put 300 rounds (magtech 115) through my new Gold Match 2 (in 9mm) and have had 7 FTE in total so far. During the 1st session (150 rounds), I had one FTE and today during the 2nd session, I had 6. It seems getting worse...

All 6 FTEs today, the extractor did not even remove the empty case from the barrel and the nose/ bullet of the next round was pushing the butt of the case. I had to yank the mag out of the frame. Many empty cases hit my head and one got on my shoulder and sat there for a couple of second.. and some barely came out.

Upon cleaning, I noticed that the extractor was fairly loose, especially vertically. I put a live round between the extractor and breach, and shook the slide lightly, and the round stayed in "loosely".

Is this (the extractor being loose) normal? It appears that the extractor for 9mm is two piece design. Would it be possible that those two parts are loose inside the slide?

I am going to put 200 rounds more but how would I know the break-in is done? The pistol shoots pretty accurately. In fact, I have never shot this accurate but I am kind of in the state of "what else baby?". I have put 3000 rounds through my Beretta 92S with no single issue. Different animals but oh dear...

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I believe a long time Colt engineer once said something along the lines of-

If a gun does not work out of the box then it is broken.

In my opinion something is wrong with it and it should go back. I bet if you call them they will tell you to send it back.

ADDENDUM: I just looked...it is NOT two pieces.

#7 ·
Thanks guys for your feedback.

I called Kimber's CS and told a rep two issues.
1) FTE - he asked what ammo I was using and I told him "Magtech 115gr". He said "Ah, that is it! You should use 124 or 147 because 115 does not have enough energy to cycle the slide completely". Really? Why only 7 FTEs out of 300 rounds? Not much advice given so I told him that I would adjust the extractor myself and carry on with the break-in.

I removed the extractor. Thank goodness, it was not broken into piece. What I noticed that the firing pin stop was pretty loose, widthwise. Is it not supposed to be snag fit so that the extractor does not turn in the hole? The extractor does turn a bit... Anyways, I polished the tip of the extractor, referring to Wilson Combat's suggestion. Let's see how it goes next time.

2) My Gold Match 2 came with a standard trigger instead of a premium trigger, and I asked him why. He had no idea but told me that there is no real different in function. The only difference is the number of holes on the trigger block and kindly he told me he prefers the one with the standard trigger block (three holes). I got fed up with him so I told him "never mind...".

It might be something to do with the mag (Kimber's standard)?? I do not really have faith in it and am waiting for Tripp Cobra mags to arrive.

I might order a new firing pin stop. I do not really like to send my gun back to Kimber without being 100% sure they would fix the issue. Having read many reports about their CS, I do not really have faith in them:(

Thanks!!

#9 ·
Right, ask for your money back for an extractor that can be tuned faster than the gun can be boxed for return and maybe a FPS.

jaep1911, don't worrry about the horror stories you've heard about Kimber CS. Read a little around here and you'll discover they treat their customers just fine. If you feel the need to send it back do so with confidence. Personally I'd add a little tension to the extractor.

#10 ·
eljay45 - thanks. yes, I want to tune it myself before I send it to Kimber. In fact, I bent the extractor a bit and it holds a round more rigidly. I will fire some more rounds and see how it goes.

At the same time, as there was some wee creep on the trigger, I polished the sides, top and bottom of the trigger bow, and the creep is gone:D After the break-in, I am going to adjust the take-up, which is a wee bit too much at the moment.

Great experience to learn how the 1911 is made and can be tuned ;)

Cheers

#13 ·
My 2cents - toss out the kimber extractor altogether. I just doesn't seem to hold tension like quality parts.
:biglaugh: If it's tuned right, yes it does.

#12 ·
Right,

Spend time and money fixing a $1500 gun that barfed out of the box.

I have no issues with Kimber or their CS. It could be a RI or a Colt or any brand. The brand is not the point. It could be a toaster for that matter. My point is that it's broken.

You would never accept broken as OK in any new product nor should you.

#17 · (Edited)
Seven years ago, I had similar problems with my first new Kimber, a ProCarry. When I finally broke it down, the extractor literally fell out of the frame, as it had zero tension on it.

It sounds like you need to add some extractor tension - not too much, not too little! Also the extractor should not be clocking/rotating in the extractor tunnel.

The mag could also be problematic. The Tripp Cobra's are optimum mags for the 1911 imho.

BTW I also have an SA 1911, that I've been shooting alot lately using 115gr reloads. It 's totally reliable; I've never had any problems with it other than cheap after market mags, which caused constant double feeds (sound familiar?!).

I'll only use Tripp/Cobra and Wilson 10 round mags in my 9mm SA to ensure reliability. IMO it's total BS about the magtech ammo causing reliability issues.

Good luck, jaep1911

#23 ·
That is correct. It was the OP who asked if it was two piece and that he could not tell from the picture. I just uploaded a better picture and confirmed to him that it was not in fact a two piece unit.

I'm pretty sure my advice was implying to send it back not repair it himself. If it was not clear then that is in fact what I was saying and not giving repair advice. I'm generally pretty careful about not talking out of turn in regards to technical issues.

#24 ·
I called Kimber CS again today and had a pleasant conversation with two ladies (ladies = always help!). I told them that the FPS can rotate in the slot and they said that it should not. So, they agreed to send me a new FPS. Also, I told them that my GM2 came with a standard trigger and they are also sending me a new premium trigger. One of them asked if I wanted them to look at the gun and fix the issue (FTE) but I told her that I would try it myself this time.

I hope the new FPS would cure the issue. Let's see. If not, they said that I should send the gun back to them.

I would like to take back what I previously said about Kimber's CS in this thread. I should not have said that based on the "cyber reads" and my own single experience and I apologize Kmber for that.

Peace!

#26 ·
In the for what it is worth category, my Stainless II 9mm had the exact same extraction issue (fired round would not fully extract/eject and would get caught by top round in magazine being pushed into chamber by slide. Happened with Kimber magazine and Tripp magazines. Kimber at first told me same thing you were told: don't use 115 gr. (I was using WWB), but only 124 or 147. I said that makes no sense because I know the slide is coming back far enough to pick up the next round out of the magazine, it has to be the extractor. They suggested tightening it and I did, confirmed it was not clocking and it worked better, but still had same issue, just less often. Took to local smith. He said extractor probably still not tight enough, and on the Stainless, its a flat (without a radius) claw (your Gold Match may have a "custom" claw with a radius) and while the flat claw generally works for a .45, the 9 mm, being a smaller diameter, results in less "contact" with the claw, which would be increased by filing in the radius. Charged me $30 remove the extractor, bend it slightly more to tighten it and put a small radius on the claw. I haven't had a single failure since with either the Kimber 9 round or Tripp Cobra 10 round magazines, slow fire, fast fire and all 115 gr. WWB. Best $30 and 20 minutes of down time I ever spent. Kimber was willing to send me a shipping label to send it back and was otherwise helpful, but it was much easier to spend $30 and browse around the shop for 20 minutes.

#27 ·
Thanks vaflyfisher. That is an interesting info. I think that my extractor had a round claw / tip.. but not 100% sure. I will check it out when I next remove it.

Yes, if it could be fixed on my table, I would. It is all fun and a good learning curve.

Cheers

#28 ·
I noticed you own a Beretta 92FS. I have one as well. Although not as accurate as the Stainless 9mm (which is a real tack driver), the Beretta has never failed to eject, failed to fire, misfed or anything else for that matter. It simply works every time and goes bang when you pull the trigger. Same is true for its 22 LR conversion kit. Any 22 ammo and it goes bang save for a bad round. The Kimber 22 conversion kit is more finicky, but is 100% reliable on CCI Mini Mags, and is a tack driver as well. So I really enjoy both of them. I have a Kimber Royal 45acp as well, totally reliable on the 45's, finicky like the Stainless with the 22 conversion. I must say, the 9mm is a real pleasure to shoot, and in a 1911 platform is about a sweet as it gets.

#32 ·
I find it interesting that kimber fanboys like to blame the shooter, not the gun or claim that someone who has had major issues with their kimber never really owned one in the first place.. I have 3 other 1911's, a Gold Cup, a Remington-Rand, and a new SR1911. I had a 4th, a PT1911 that I just sold to get a Glock 27(another regret but that is a different story) so I do know a bit about 1911's, and limpwristing has never been an issue.

I have found from personal experience that kimber's made prior to 2005 or 6 are really great pistols. Anything after that it is a crap shoot. I shot a friend's that he bought in 04 or 05, and was impressed enough to go out a sell a 1912 Winchester 94 so I could afford the kimber. To say that limpwristing causes 2-3 malfunctions per magazine is absurd, to say the least. To be told by kimber's CS that I have to put 500 rounds through a $1500 pistol before I send it in for repair is even more absurd. To have the CS rep spend time telling me how I must be using crap ammuntion, must be limpwristing, must not have cleaned the gun, must use another maker's magazine, anything but tell me to send it right in for repair was infuriating, to say the least.

After sending the gun back for repair, it came back just as bad. I sent it back again, and got a stovepipe the very first round. I packed it up, took it to my LGS and traded it. I have a very sour taste in my mouth from kimber's poor customer service, and I think their quality control is a joke. One local gunshop has had 2 kimber's come in that would not allow the magazine all the way in the grip. Can anyone tell me how, when in NYS 2 spent cartidges have to come with the pistol to be sent to Albany, that the guy who fires the pistols would let that slide? That gunshop no longer carries kimbers because so many of them had to be sent back for repair. He says he had more go back than the PT1911's he sold.

I promise though, to those I seem to have offended, to lay off my criticism of kimber. It does seem to have been a bit excessive but I think some might say that with the negative experience I had I might have a reason to complain. I will stand by my statement, though, that kimber is the Budweiser of the 1911's. They advertise better than any other 1911 maker out there.

#33 ·
Update

Update on my initial issue - FTE

I finally received an extractor from Brazos. Installed it and went to the usual local range. Shot 150 rounds with NO FTE:D A couple of rounds still hit my head but it is minor compared to what had been going on with the gun.

I jumped on their Pro series (bevelled and polished) despite the cost and am very happy with the result.

In total, 600 rounds through her. I guess I can declare the end of break-in;)

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.