1911Forum banner

Wake up to an intruder

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  1911MILSPEC2015 
#1 · (Edited)
Ended

#3 ·
Carrying a gun in your "waistband".

Is asking for trouble. Get yourself a holster.

#8 ·
Seriously. The keys to home security are good doors and locks and window locks that only allow the windows to open so far. If someone is going to break in most people are going to hear them before they get in if you have all that. If someone can open your door this easy, you need a better plan and better doors.

#9 ·
I use the aluminum door poles that fit under the door knobs and the other end angled to the floor. They are inexpensive and work very well. They can be defeated but only after a lot of shoving and noise. They are on every door in my house 24/7. Along with outdoor cameras and an alarm system. Yes, I'm paranoid, but it's better than being parallel.

#11 ·
Do you have a friend with a German Shepherd you can have your dog play with for a few days. It looks like your dog needs to learn to sound out properly. My lab mix now barks like she is going to kill but slobbers on everyone. She was around a Shepherd for a couple years and learned to sound out. It didn't change her demeanor any just makes her more leary toward strangers and certain noises.

#12 ·
True - our German Shepherd alerts us when someone sets foot onto our property just by his ear perk and alert demeanor.

Then when the door bell rings the neighbors houses down can hear him go off. I just tell him its OK, I got this and he quietly waits to see if it some of the neighbor hood kids are there to play with him. He loves kids and females, if it is a male on a delivery or something he just sits and watches. Great GSD but hairy oh my.

#14 ·
Even little yapper dogs are good security, if you wake up.

Funny, my wife & my daughter slept through a thunderstorm that looked & sounded like a dumpster full flash-bang grenades.

Car alarms were going off & the neighborhood dogs were going nuts. But my girls were Zzzzzzzzzz.

But my wife says my snoring wakes her up!

#20 ·
In Indiana we are issued carry permits at 18. I got mine when I was 20.

Federal law prohibits purchase of handguns and ammunition of it will be used in a handgun by those under 21.

Parents can buy for their kids, and I bought my handgun ammo in college from gun shop owner who made dang sure it was for a pistol-caliber carbine that I didn't have.

No federal law against possession at 18. Just purchase from an FFL. I bought a couple from private individuals before I was 21.

Josh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.