1911Forum banner

Caspian Officer Model

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  coyotebuster 
#1 · (Edited)
I have plenty of 1911 pistols, different manufacturers and calibers, but don't know much about Caspian 1911s. I'm in California, so any chance to pick up something "off roster" gets my interest. I also end up having to wait ten days to pick up whatever I buy, unless it's C&R eligible. So the best I can do for now is describe - not quite sure what I bought.

Stainless steel frame and slide are marked Caspian, 45 ACP barrel/slide looks like 3" and is bushingless. Series 70. Novak rear sight, 30 LPI checkered frontstrap. Looks like Officers grip, but seemed almost as short as my Detonics. Mag as a Metalform, which also makes Detonics mags, but no cut for the tail end of the follower to protrude. Am assuming Caspian didn't make a grip shorter than Officers, is that correct?

Pistol seems very well made. No play in the barrel hood, thumb safety (single sided) operates positively and stops solid on the downstroke. Beavertail GS perfectly blended.

Gun looks exactly like this one -

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...m_caspian_1911_in_45_acp_640.jpg&action=click

I know Caspian sells all that's needed for gunsmith assembly. From what I've read Caspian assembles and sells their own too, is that correct?

How would I know whether this was made by Caspian or outside their shop?

Any info on the gun appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought about building a gun from scratch. I looked into a officers acp sized. I collected officers guns years ago. I think i had 11 or so. Some nib, some i shot. I shot a few a lot. Not by todays standards though. Caspian made a titanium frame too. I dont think its assembled by them? But it could have been. I think they just made slides and frames. Cast frames. Nothing wrong with cast. They are lifetime warranty im pretty sure. I have a couple of their fliers. Ill check it out further. To refresh my brain. Neverthess very cool pick up.

#5 ·
I thought about building a gun from scratch. I looked into a officers acp sized. I collected officers guns years ago. I think i had 11 or so. Some nib, some i shot. I shot a few a lot. Not by todays standards though. Caspian made a titanium frame too. I dont think its assembled by them? But it could have been. I think they just made slides and frames. Cast frames. Nothing wrong with cast. They are lifetime warranty im pretty sure. I have a couple of their fliers. Ill check it out further. To refresh my brain. Nevertheless very cool pick up.
Same here re the smaller 1911s. First one was a Detonics back in 1979, still have it. I'd like someone to make an alloy framed 1911 with a Detonics shortened grip and bob it, that 3/4" or so makes a difference. The Caspian I bought does have a shortened grip, seems less than an Officers but I'll have to wait and find out for sure.

#6 · (Edited)
I've built a couple 1911''s using Caspian frames and have found them of very high quality. I've used slides from other manufacturers such as Colt, and S&W on my builds. I've used trigger sets from Harrison design, and Cylinder & Slide, and they have simply dropped into the Caspian frames with no fitting required. Thumb safeties and slide releases from Wilson Combat were also easily fit in these guns. This tells me that Caspian's frames are made perfectly to spec, and are just as good as a Colt or any other quality 1911 frame.

#10 ·
I picked up the pistol today. The Officer model size grip frame has definitely been reduced to Detonics height - gun came with three Detonics magazines.

The work is excellent quality. Took a few photos and will try and figure out how to post.

Anyone want to direct me to a starting point on posting photos - haven't done it here before. :)

#11 · (Edited)
Thank you to "Simple Man" for the tutorial on posting - :D

Having fiddled with the gun for a few days, seems very well done. The trigger is clean & crisp. Very little take up, no over travel. Thumb safety works positively - no hiccup at the end of the downstroke. Grip safety works fine. All the metalwork is perfectly finished. Even the Detonics magazine floorplates were dressed down on the front to sit flush with the frame. Slide to frame fit has just a hint of give. Barrel, slide and frame mate up perfectly.

Disassembled to clean and the insides are nicely polished. The effort definitely shows there.

I'm swapping out the thin grips for Detonics take offs, I like a little more bulk than what's on there now.

I don't know that this would replace my Sig 938, but it's worth considering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.