1911Forum banner

Talk about your EMP here!

2M views 6K replies 900 participants last post by  theraptur 
#1 ·
Thread requested for ongoing EMP discussions...

#40 ·
Hell me either till I was cruising around brownells today. Ordered me up a trackstone and the Long Curved black trigger:rock:. Also ordered up some STI black poly triggers for some other pistols and ordered a extra one that I might try to shorten up for the emp.

#42 · (Edited)
That is sweet looking...Quack your bound and determined to make me spend more money.First its the mags and now Faulty's EMP with the rounded butt :biglaugh:

Ok I tried to just feed some Gold dots in my EMP and I must say my gun does not like them at all they do hang up on the feed ramp when you hand cycle them( I havent been able to get to the range and try them yet).Has anyone tried the Hornady 9mm Critical Defense ammunition in there EMPs yet,if so how did they feed?I will also be trying the Golden Saber HPJ

#47 ·
What size (gr.) Speers are you trying. My 9mm EMP was a little picky about hollow points in the beginning, but I looked into it and here's what I found.

This pictures shows a 147gr. Speer Gold Dot on the left, a 115gr Remington JHP in the middle and a 147 gr Ranger on the right. I was having feed issues with 115gr JHP ammo but 147gr fed fine. I think the longer 147 gr bullets have a better angle in relation to the feed ramp as the slide is trying to chamber a round. My feed issues were the bullet nose "diving" or hanging up into the feed ramp.

I polished my feed ramp and all my feeding issues went away. 115gr or 147gr hollow point or not, I have NO MORE feed issues. Here are the before and after pictures of my feed ramp.

BEFORE

AFTER

#49 ·
My EMP 40 had some extractor issues out of the box- zero tension. After adjusting (really should take it to somebody that knows their stuff- I just put it in a vice an gave it a tap w/a hammer) it runs great. 1000 rounds and all good.

#52 ·
I also have an EMP 40. I do not find the recoil bad at all. In fact is probably not any worse than a 38 Spcl +P. The pistol is also very accurate for a 3 inch Barrel.

Bill

#51 ·
Buffalo Bore + EMP .40 = kB

Thought you all might find this interesting:
(First, I should say that I am really happy with my EMP .40. After a 200 round break-in, it has functioned flawlessly, and is shockingly accurate for a 3" gun.)

A couple of months ago, I decided to try some Buffalo Bore +P 180gr FMJ. This is a pretty hot load at 1100 fps. I could definitely feel the difference with the first shot. The second shot ruptured the case at the web and blew out the magazine spring and follower, bruising my left hand.

After a chat with Tim Sundles at Buffalo Bore (really nice guy), I now realize that I should have read the warning on the ammo more carefully: do not use in guns without fully supported chambers.

Below is a comparison of the fully supported chamber in my HK USP/C and the EMP .40.

Attachments

#53 ·
@igun

Wow, that's pretty crazy. Just curious, but does enough of your hands hang off the bottom of the EMP for your hand to be bruised when the mag blew out?? Never held one, wondering how small it really is...

Hopefully you're not using the Jack Bauer "Cup and saucer" technique, lol, j/k.

#54 ·
@igun

Wow, that's pretty crazy. Just curious, but does enough of your hands hang off the bottom of the EMP for your hand to be bruised when the mag blew out?? Never held one, wondering how small it really is...

Hopefully you're not using the Jack Bauer "Cup and saucer" technique, lol, j/k.
Nope. No cup and saucer :) the mag spring would have ended up through my hand. The EMP isn't a pocket pistol like my p238 Mustang clone, but with a thumbs forward grip, the heel of my left hand hangs off the grip. That's what got bruised and blackened.

#62 ·
I just had a case explode like that in my TRP! But i have never had any issues in my EMP's! I like the pics for comparison between EMP(non supported vs. HK's (fully supported).
Was your ruptured .45 case a hand load? I was under the impression that .45 loads are relatively low pressure, so not likely to kB unless it's an accidental double charge.

#63 ·
Originally Posted by rangemeister
Hey WellArmed, what is the recoil like on the 40 EMP? I had a 9 and now am looking at a 40. Is the recoil excessive? Thanks.
I don't think the recoil si bad at all. The frame on the 40 is steel instead of aluminum, so that helps some. I also put grip tape on the front strap, which helps keep the grip from squirming on me.
I don't find the recoil to be harsh at all. No problem firing controlled pairs even with one hand. I really like my EMP .40, and find myself shooting it more than any of my other guns. It just feels right.

#64 ·
Heres how the EMP 9 looks as of now, work done to it so far is as follows:

Ed brown Tactical single sided safety
S&A Officers msh & internals
C&S LightWeight sear spring
Miltac grips w/grip tape on front strap
Harrison Black long trigger

Only issue I have had with it is the ejector was working up and locking up the slide. So I yanked out the ejector and cleaned up everything and re loc-tited it down. Will wait a day or two and go take it back out and put some rounds down range and see if it looks like she will hold. If not back to SA to get it pinned.

#69 · (Edited)
I had to order short stainless hex screws (and bushings) for my Colt Defender when I put slim grips on it. Those same screws fit my EMP like they were made for it (dunno if the bushings are the right thread, haven't tried them). So, if you can't find screws listed for the EMP, the ones being sold for Defenders should be just fine.

Edit: I dug out the package that the screws came in, it just says "Thin Line Grip Screws Hex Head 1911 SS Pkg of 4" and "G84XS" (no thread size listed).

#70 ·
Purchased my EMP 9mm about 2 weeks ago and after approx. 300 rounds I must say it has performed flawlessly......even with some cheap reloads that did not cycle a friend of mines brand new S&W Pro Series.

My concern was that the slide would catch something when manually sliding it.....although did not have any issues when the slide was back and operating the slid release.....did not notice this when I purchased it but did while cleaning it that same day. Called the gun shop and they said not to be concered with it and to go ahead and fire it. As mentioned above, no issues.

I sent an email to Springfield just to follow up with my concern and this was their reply in 2 separate emails:

#1. Congratulations on your EMP purchase. It sounds like it’s the disconnector catching which is normal so you should be fine.

my 2nd email asked if all EMP's do this:

#2. All of our 1911’s actually, it’s part of the function of the slide and disconnector

As this will be my primary carry weapon......I don't need any issues.

Does this sound right?? I currently own Kimbers, S&W's and Sig's but this is my first Springfield.

Thanks!

Brian