Ed Brown Evo KC9 G4 - anyone shot it? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-12-2019, 11:56 PM

Ed Brown Evo KC9 G4 - anyone shot it?

Just wondering if anyone has held and/or shot this. Going to call EB Monday and see if anyone has it in stock near me.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:33 AM

Here is my review of the Ed Brown EVO KC9 Stainless.

Background: This is my first 1911. My previous firearms included: Walther PPK 380, H&K P30, SIG P320 X-Carry, SIG P365, and Kimber Micro 9. I like the SIG 226 and 229 Legions (excellent tactical firearms) but I really wanted to move into the high-end custom / semi-custom handfit 1911s and experience that level of quality. I also like the stainless look and flash.

Caliber: My preference is 9mm. The Wilson EDC X9 really interests me but I’m not in a position to pay $3k+ just yet.

Purpose: I wanted a very high-quality firearm that I could shoot a lot at the range and that I might carry on occasion. My SIG P365 is a great sub-compact comfortable daily carry piece - I barely know it’s there, especially with the Black Point holsters manufactured under the SIG brand.

Expectations: There were not a lot of reviews of the EVO KC9, but whatever I found on YouTube or in print was very positive. I expected the same quality from Ed Brown that their $3,500+ firearms offer. Ed Brown confirmed this fact; building KC9 in batches allowed them to offer the same quality but at the $1,895 price point, opening doors to different option batches (light weight with magwell for $2,300+) and entry to the 9mm 1911 market segment.

Weight was not my concern; In fact, I preferred the heavier weight to absorb recoil at the range. An extended magwell or double-stack magazine didn’t interest me as much as having a thin profile to occasionally carry... for now. I also liked the Bobtail grip cut to conceal better. A 4” barrel was fine with me, as I did intend to conceal carry sometimes.

In short, I was expecting top quality build with nice features.

Pre-Purchase: The Ed Brown manual is very generic with ammo specs only for 45 ACP, as is the FAQ on their website. My email to Ed Brown company concerning recommended 9mm feeding received a quick reply; 115 or 124 grain ammo preferred, 147 grain might be a bit much especially with cartridges a bit on the long side. Federal or Winchester White Box recommended.

My favorite dealer happened to have one in stock, so I had them ship it their local store near me.

Initial Impressions: Out of the box - actually out of the very nice and compact range bag made by Bulldog, the KC9 was everything that I was expecting. Excellent fit and finish and attention to detail. The profile is nice and slim, yet the grips feel substantial in the hand. Bull Barrel. The “Snakeskin” pattern on the front and back of the grip is amazing - hands slide up but not down. The 7-top cut slide is really nice, as are the stylish but functional slide serrations.

On The Range: The “Tactical Edge” rear sight (all-black) is new to me - the half-circle cut is very small which is awesome for precise aiming; I could see the front sight moving even when I thought that I was perfectly still - very accurate! My front sight is the Orange HD XR in daylight and glows green at night (another first for me, and I like it!) The raised portion of the grip safety definitely helped me transition to 1911.

Mags slide effortlessly in or out with the mag release button depressed. However, a firm press (but no whack) is required to insert with 9 + 1. Criticism about the mag release requiring a firm press is valid, but I don’t find it to be a problem - I’d rather have a firm press than mags accidentally falling out. Reach to the mag button requires adjusting your grip or a second hand.

The plastic mag base plate extensions (included for optional use - two thickness options are provided) do not visually align on center with the grips. I’d rather leave the extensions off, and like the reference of feeling the flat mag baseplate siting flush.

The manual safety is quite firm as well, especially when activating the safety. Body mechanics make it easier to push DOWN for safety off. This is actually good for concealed carry, as I doubt that the safety would easily “walk” to the off position.

The trigger is really crisp to the point that I thought that it was heavier than the trigger spec of 3.5 to 4.5 pounds. My gun shop measured the trigger pull at just under 4 pounds - exactly to spec. I am anticipating the trigger break loosening up a bit at around 500 rounds.

Grip Functionally: They feel full, rounded and adequately wide (to my thin but long hands) even though the EVO has a very narrow profile. They grip securely, especially in combination with the Snakeskin front grip and backstrap treatment. The texture is effective but not harsh, with a unique visual appearance called “labyrinth.”

Grip Material: They are not G10, yet the grips are the same price. They don’t feel like wood, nor plastic or rubber. So I wondered what the heck the material is! It is actually Cocobolo wood - a very strong and dense rosewood - combined with resin. (I believe it is a polymer resin that is over the Cocobolo wood to create the texture.)

Accuracy: is so awesome that I am actually getting bored with paper targets! I just ordered some steel targets from MGM Targets in AR550 hard steel... REALLY looking forward to them! They have really sturdy easy-setup portable systems, and fortunately my outdoor range allows steel. (Check out the MGM Bucket MLS Plate Rack if interested.) Hickok45 has an excellent video on shooting steel safely.

My girlfriend is somewhat of a firearms newbie. She also shot the KC9 very accurately and it served as a great confidence builder.

Ammo: I only have about 160 rounds through it, but the EVO KC9 ate all the ammo that I fed it without a hiccup. Unfortunately, I could not get Federal but it ran S&B 115gr and 124gr FMJ, SIG 124gr Elite V-Crown JHP, and Hornady 115gr Critical Defense (a very short round.) This gun feeds well!

According to Ed Brown, ejected cartridges should land 8 to 12 feet away. Only the SIG V-Crown were hot enough rounds to do that. My other rounds were all under 5 feet away. I am looking forward to trying Federal. No issues though; the EVO KC9 does not seem to be very picky about ammo. I also like the Ed Brown synthetic oil supplied with the gun to keep it well lubed.

My “Born On” date is 7/29/19 so I have the new extractor with the longer extractor claw.

Conclusion: 5 Stars! I am a very happy camper. Excellent firearm. Top quality parts, build, fit and finish at a very reasonable price! There are not many around in inventory. Scoop one up if it appeals to you! I found it to be an excellent entry into custom 1911s.
Attached Thumbnails
7DA3EF63-17CC-4270-B237-DE0AECD41732.jpeg   7773263B-3BE0-4124-9EF4-D5A9B59584ED.jpeg   8BE31C31-D11A-4E88-8D70-90A39470FDF9.jpeg  
Old 12-31-2019, 02:13 PM

Wow. Sorry I didn't say something sooner; this is an excellent review re the KC9. EB should post it (with your permission) on their FB page. Additionally, I throughly enjoyed your review process and the written content. Bravo!