SR1911 6700: Preowned - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 08:20 AM

I'm looking at a pre-owned SR1911 6700 at a local shop. It comes with 4 Mags:
2 Ruger Checkmate 7-Round + 2 Joe's Mag Mania (Assumed due to no logo) Checkmate 8-Round and a Ruger Rug.

It has approximately 200-500 rounds through it based on examination.

I can get it for $500.

Thoughts? Any special quirks or issues I need to be aware of before buying the Ruger?

I understand Ruger made some modifications to the extractor when designing this pistol. Where they limited to the extractor itself? IE will a standard 1911 Extractor fit and function or are you limited to a proprietary part?

Any other differences to be aware of other than the plunger tube (integrated), firing pin (titanium), firing pin spring (weight), mainspring (weight) and recoil spring (weight) compared to a traditional S70 Type? Are the spring weights basically Springfield Spec?

Is this where you would put your $500 or would you put it somewhere else?Springfield Defender 1911A1 Mil-Spec (New) for instance.

Last edited by 94045; 06-12-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:40 PM

I paid that identical amount for my preowned 5" SR1911. I got my money's worth. It is a nicely built pistol with typical standard production characteristics. The trigger is decent but not atrocious, it shoots well and is an acceptably accurate pistol. Both my 5" and CMD ran perfect out of the box. I never tuned nor checked the extractor because the pistols ran without choking.

My annoyances with both were the grip safety/frame blend and the fitting flat cuts on the slide stop pin and thumb safety pin.

What I did with both pistols was replace the factory barrel bushing with a fitted bushing.
I replaced both slide stops. I fitted EGW grip safeties to both since trying to salvage the Ruger units didn't work out well with my preferences. This changed the character of those pistols in a positive manner. I did a trigger job on both and changed to a medium size solid trigger in the full size pistol.

Here is a link to the CMD write up I did which explains things more detailed.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=679121

Whether you make any changes or not, you will still have a very good pistol for cost. Better than many new. As stated before, these pistols are solid performers.

Edit, I did tune the CMD extractor since an ejected case hit me on the noggin.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 06-12-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94045 View Post
I'm looking at a pre-owned SR1911 6700 at a local shop. It comes with 4 Mags:
2 Ruger Checkmate 7-Round + 2 Joe's Mag Mania (Assumed due to no logo) Checkmate 8-Round and a Ruger Rug.

It has approximately 200-500 rounds through it based on examination.

I can get it for $500.

Thoughts? Any special quirks or issues I need to be aware of before buying the Ruger?

I understand Ruger made some modifications to the extractor when designing this pistol. Where they limited to the extractor itself? IE will a standard 1911 Extractor fit and function or are you limited to a proprietary part?

Any other differences to be aware of other than the plunger tube (integrated), firing pin (titanium), firing pin spring (weight), mainspring (weight) and recoil spring (weight) compared to a traditional S70 Type? Are the spring weights basically Springfield Spec?

Is this where you would put your $500 or would you put it somewhere else?Springfield Defender 1911A1 Mil-Spec (New) for instance.
This is the deal I was hoping for a few months ago. Since such deals don't happen in my area I was forced to buy a new pistol. I said if the full size or commander size appeared first I would buy what ever model it was. I bought a CMD and am happy with it. That said if I come across a used full size at $500.00, I'll add it to my collection. I suggest you buy that pistol. tom.

Last edited by deputy tom; 06-12-2019 at 03:23 PM.