1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-30-2019, 03:45 PM

Are Florida members here getting ready for Hurricane Dorian

This could spell disaster for us.

There is literally no where to evacuate to since they cannot pin down the exact location on the peninsula where it will hit.

Gas became practically unavailable as of yesterday. I made three attempts to top off my vehicles and fill my gas cans for my generators.

I finally found a gas station at 12:30 am (Past midnight) thanks to an android app called "Gas Buddy".

I'm going to make another fuel run to top off my F250 which acts like my fuel reservoir, because I can siphon gas out of its 30 gal. tank. Plus, keeping fuel in a vehicle is safer than those plastic gas cans.

I highly recommend that app, "gas buddy" for people in Florida. It will identify all the gas stations in your area and when you click on the icon on a map, it will tell you if they have gas, diesel and power. That is how I found one of the few gas stations nearby that just got gas in around midnight. I got there just in time, no wait. Then as I was filling up, a line began to form around the block.

It turns out others are using similar apps and also people are posting on social networks. So the problem is if you don't have either an app or a social network to help you find gas... you could end up burning gas driving around or waiting in line.

Yesterday, earlier in the day I waited for almost 1 hour in line at two different stations only to be told that they just ran out of gas.

Frankly I have never seen the gas situation as bad as this and we are still 4 to 5 days away from a hit. I've gone through three previous hurricanes in the past 20 years and I have never seen the gasoline situation this bad.

I attribute this to everyone having generators.

This situation is all up and down the peninsula which means if someone decides to evacuate and hits the road, not only could you be going into harms way, but you could run out of fuel trying to get out of the state.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Good info for your fellow Floridians PolymerMan, thanks for posting for them. Looks like Dorian is going to strengthen over the next day or two before hitting you folks down there; my prayers are with all of you. As they say in the Navy, "batten down the hatches and close all watertight doors".

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 08-30-2019, 06:31 PM

God speed Polymerman. I'm up in the Tampa area actually got some gas last weekend as I had a bad feeling on this one. Generator all set, enough gas to run it 3 days, chain saws ready, food and water and added a window AC since Irma 2 years ago. Went yo the range this afternoon to burn off some nervous energy. Took the new SA mil spec and theColt competition .
Maybe it will make the turn north early . Thanks for the gas app tip. We still got gas here but the stations are busy.
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 07:53 PM

Thanks fellas.

The entire eastern seaboard of Florida/Georgia is sweating this out for the next 36 to 48 hours.

Around and around she spins, where she lands no one knows!!!
Old 08-30-2019, 07:58 PM

I'm near Sarasota FL. We are having the same shortage problems here. Homie desparate and not so Lowe's are both out of plywood, generators, batteries, water and so forth. I think I know why.

This past year we have had a large influx of what I call "movedowns" (people, mostly democrats), are selling out up north, moving into Florida and Georgia, running up land values and destroying the tax base. (long time residents will not pay 350-400K for a stick built condo on a wide ditch, but the escapees seem to snap them up)

The population of a smaller town south of me, has seen a building boom and nearly doubled the population in the last 15 months. Out of state Contractors have come here, paid way too much for agricultural land and built walled cities, further taxing the water table and other infrastructure.

When "season" arrives this year, and all the rental property is snapped up, the county population will grow by about 35,000. I can't wait to wait in line an hour for a big Mac...

All these newbie's are buying into the lame stream media hype about "the sky is falling" and such.

If I could find another place in the south, that hasn't been ruined by escapees, I'd just move on, but I'm economically trapped to live out my days, living like a duck in a pen.
It's gonna be a long summer.

Paul in da swamp
Old 08-30-2019, 08:23 PM

Being in the crosshairs of Mother Nature isn’t fun.

Stay safe Polymerman..
Old 08-31-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Gas became practically unavailable as of yesterday. ... fill my gas cans for my generators.

This is a pet peeve of mine.

I know folks like to have a generator, and that's cool, but they need to have their generator gas purchased a couple of weeks out.

If you need to evacuate from south Florida, and are trying to get to the panhandle or Georgia, there is a good chance you won't find any gas along the way because of folks buying 200 gallons of gas for their generators at the last minute.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
This could spell disaster for us.

There is literally no where to evacuate to since they cannot pin down the exact location on the peninsula where it will hit.

Gas became practically unavailable as of yesterday. I made three attempts to top off my vehicles and fill my gas cans for my generators.

I finally found a gas station at 12:30 am (Past midnight) thanks to an android app called "Gas Buddy".

I'm going to make another fuel run to top off my F250 which acts like my fuel reservoir, because I can siphon gas out of its 30 gal. tank. Plus, keeping fuel in a vehicle is safer than those plastic gas cans.

I highly recommend that app, "gas buddy" for people in Florida. It will identify all the gas stations in your area and when you click on the icon on a map, it will tell you if they have gas, diesel and power. That is how I found one of the few gas stations nearby that just got gas in around midnight. I got there just in time, no wait. Then as I was filling up, a line began to form around the block.

It turns out others are using similar apps and also people are posting on social networks. So the problem is if you don't have either an app or a social network to help you find gas... you could end up burning gas driving around or waiting in line.

Yesterday, earlier in the day I waited for almost 1 hour in line at two different stations only to be told that they just ran out of gas.

Frankly I have never seen the gas situation as bad as this and we are still 4 to 5 days away from a hit. I've gone through three previous hurricanes in the past 20 years and I have never seen the gasoline situation this bad.

This situation is all up and down the peninsula which means if someone decides to evacuate and hits the road, not only could you be going into harms way, but you could run out of fuel trying to get out of the state.
The time to prepare is BEFORE hurricane season, buy Rec 90 ethanol free gasoline and treat each 5 gallon can w/1 oz. of Stabil...Will be good for at least a year, and if no storm comes, you can always use it in the lawnmower or dump it in your vehicle.

Bottled water is good for about two years, check the dates, keep several cases on hand 24/7...BTW..Stores are re-stocked and the Gas stations are up and running again.

We evacuated for Irma, that was a mistake. Bumper to bumper traffic and rest areas that looked like 3rd world countries with FHP standing directing traffic in and out. Never again.

I did Owner/Builder on the house and built it to exceed the Miami-Dade building code, Reinforced concrete with downpours every 4 ft and poured tie-beam.. 5/8 Plywod with peel n stick and O/C Duration Shingles held down w/ Simpson strong tie US mfg.SS nail on a Hip Roof... Aluminum DC approved panels over the the windows.

Last Hurricane I spent down south was Andrew.... I saw the devastation and damage in Country walk and Saga bay... also desperate people putting drywall over their windows when they couldn’t get plywood.

Stay Safe!

Last edited by Mike 139; 08-31-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:28 AM

Hope all stay safe, in prayers
Old 08-31-2019, 12:52 PM

Prayers for all of you guys and your families in the potential path(s) of this thing. Buckle up as best you can and get the heck outta there, if you should.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 08-31-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBag View Post
Hope all stay safe, in prayers
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
Prayers for all of you guys and your families in the potential path(s) of this thing. Buckle up as best you can and get the heck outta there, if you should.
Thanks for the prayers guys!!!

It worked. The southern tip and much of the peninsula is now out of the warning cone at 11 am but it meander back in just a bit at the 2 pm forecast.

I think the Carolina's will be in the target zone.

Mother nature will do as it wants!
Old 08-31-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine.

I know folks like to have a generator, and that's cool, but they need to have their generator gas purchased a couple of weeks out.

If you need to evacuate from south Florida, and are trying to get to the panhandle or Georgia, there is a good chance you won't find any gas along the way because of folks buying 200 gallons of gas for their generators at the last minute.
that's why I filled up my gas cans last week for the generator. On my way into Gainesville at 5 am Thursday, 2 gas stations were out. I filled my F150 at the third one that had a small line. Yankees....
COTEP #0523
Old 08-31-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaddy51 View Post
I'm near Sarasota FL. We are having the same shortage problems here. Homie desparate and not so Lowe's are both out of plywood, generators, batteries, water and so forth. I think I know why.

This past year we have had a large influx of what I call "movedowns" (people, mostly democrats), are selling out up north, moving into Florida and Georgia, running up land values and destroying the tax base. (long time residents will not pay 350-400K for a stick built condo on a wide ditch, but the escapees seem to snap them up)

The population of a smaller town south of me, has seen a building boom and nearly doubled the population in the last 15 months. Out of state Contractors have come here, paid way too much for agricultural land and built walled cities, further taxing the water table and other infrastructure.

When "season" arrives this year, and all the rental property is snapped up, the county population will grow by about 35,000. I can't wait to wait in line an hour for a big Mac...

All these newbie's are buying into the lame stream media hype about "the sky is falling" and such.

If I could find another place in the south, that hasn't been ruined by escapees, I'd just move on, but I'm economically trapped to live out my days, living like a duck in a pen.

It's gonna be a long summer.

Paul in da swamp
Yepper

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
COTEP #0523