A Dry Run (pun intended) - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 02:10 AM

A Dry Run (pun intended)

From Tuesday to Saturday this week, Salem, OR, capitol of Oregon, pop. 154,000, had water problems. Drinking tap water was discouraged for children, elderly, feeble, etc. Healthy adults were permitted to drink it, but apparently most did not. Store shelves were bare of bottled water and warehouse stores sold it by the pallet but could not keep up with the demand. Even stores in towns 20 miles away were out of water. Perhaps this incident awakened some people about how vulnerable we are to a big disaster! Water is at the top of the list when comes to human needs.

Last edited by stanhou; 06-03-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:43 AM

Water treatment article

http://extension.colostate.edu/topic...eatment-6-704/
Old 06-03-2018, 09:24 AM

In my corner of drought stricken CA the State OES says to keep a three day supply of H20 available. For us that is two cases of bottled water, tucked away on the bottom shelf of a metal shelving unit in the pantry.
A worth while investment for a very modest amount of money and space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018, 02:15 AM

So my purpose in posting this is to get people thinking about what they’ve done to prepare for water. You may have lots of food, but without water you’ll probably last three days.

My prep includes keeping a couple of cases of water on hand and purchasing a purifier. I’ve also mapped where the closest streams and bodies of water that are walking distance from my home. I feel like I need to do more.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:52 AM

I've often wondered how the folks in arid regions would fare should calamity disrupt muni water systems and civil services couldn't reach all those in need in a timely manner

the "bugout on foot" thread had me thinking about that too.
don't think a man could carry enough water for any travel that required extended amount of time

side note.....everyone has 40 to 80 gallons of water stored in their home.
It's in your hot water tank and easily accessible

short of an enemy bio poison attack on muni surface water systems, one could always boil water from their tap, no??

..L.T.A.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:19 AM

I keep quite a few cases in my basement at all times.

I can kill stuff to eat. But when the water goes, you're kinda screwed.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
I've often wondered how the folks in arid regions would fare should calamity disrupt muni water systems and civil services couldn't reach all those in need in a timely manner

the "bugout on foot" thread had me thinking about that too.
don't think a man could carry enough water for any travel that required extended amount of time

side note.....everyone has 40 to 80 gallons of water stored in their home.
It's in your hot water tank and easily accessible

short of an enemy bio poison attack on muni surface water systems, one could always boil water from their tap, no??

..L.T.A.
Depends on the reason for the water disruption- it may not be a contamination issue, but a failure of the delivery system. During hurricane Matthew a couple years back, power was out for 10 days... no electricity, no water being pumped out of the ground to fill towers, no water in the system a few hours after power was lost....

The hot water tank is a good thing to remember- but I have tankless water heaters....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 06-04-2018, 06:14 PM

I keep 4-5 cases of the 1 liter size waters because every time I turn around i get a notice on the front door from the water company saying '' due to recent pipeline work/construction we have issued a boil water notice'' pays to be prepared
Old 06-04-2018, 08:32 PM

My wife and I are pretty lucky.

Our Artesian well pumps out over seven hundred gallons of water per day whether we use it or not.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Our Artesian well pumps out over seven hundred gallons of water per day whether we use it or not.
What is the temperature of the water from your artesian well?
Old 06-05-2018, 05:51 AM

we utilize an office cooler system four every day drinking, and have between 5 and 40 gallons ready to go there. not including 10 gallons in emergency back up. Also have 250 gallons worth of self refilling/filtering rain water collection. worse comes to worse, there's also about 80 gallons in your hot water heater you can get in a pinch.

I can walk to a stream and 6 ponds in a matter of 5 minutes, one of which is public (so less likely I'm shot getting water from it, I hope).

we're in Texas and it would get bad fast being without. All cars have at least a day supply of water in bottles, too, and significantly more whenever we leave the suburbs.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:42 AM

That is a good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 557 View Post
I will check it. It is quite cold. I have reason to believe that it is coming from all of the way down. When they were drilling the well the slurry that came out was all solid granite after a few feet down. They hit water at 365 feet, and went to 400 for good measure. The next morning I went outside and there is water coming up out of the pipe.

Subsequently we have had the water tested with no issues found. Some dissolved iron (not particulate). But not so that you will taste it. And I measured the flow rate. If left on it's own, it will pump out 720 gallons in a twenty four hour period. There do not appear to be any fluctuations that I can observe.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:05 PM

Yep, water is the most critical, yet most challenge to store...I store 6 weeks worth and constantly use and replace a weeks worth from stock. I use to store 8 weeks worth but found (some) of the plastic containers start leaking around 8 weeks (Poland spring 2.5 gallon containers). If you wait for a disaster to "get some" you are too late...I can look at a canned water option, but I feel pretty good with 6 weeks of back-up. Which is at our normal consumption (rate) - we drink a lot of water normally, in a crisis it would be easy to make it last 12 weeks.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 06-05-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I will check it. It is quite cold. I have reason to believe that it is coming from all of the way down. When they were drilling the well the slurry that came out was all solid granite after a few feet down. They hit water at 365 feet, and went to 400 for good measure. The next morning I went outside and there is water coming up out of the pipe.

Subsequently we have had the water tested with no issues found. Some dissolved iron (not particulate). But not so that you will taste it. And I measured the flow rate. If left on it's own, it will pump out 720 gallons in a twenty four hour period. There do not appear to be any fluctuations that I can observe.
That’s awesome. The only artesian well I’ve seen was a few miles from where I grew up. I believe it was drilled in the late 1860’s as a potential oil well. The water is above 90 degrees F and putrid.

Water is scarce there. My family moved there so my dad could take over a ditch rider position from the last man who had been shot by a disgruntled water right holder. My dad quit after a year but we did subcontract to clean that ditch a few times. It was 3 ft diameter concrete pipe with a manhole every 50-75 yards. Standard equipment was 200 yards of rope, a kids radio flyer wagon, and army surplus folding shovels. I’ve done less enjoyable work but right now I can’t seem to recall exactly what...

I guess I learned at a young age the value of good water. The old timers had a saying “whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting”.

Where I live now there is an unlimited amount of good water at 52 degrees F. The problem is it’s 130-180 ft down and in a long term SHTF situation it would be hard to get a lot out. I do have a pasture 1/2 mile from the house still watered with a windmill but everything else is on the grid submersible.

You really do have an invaluable resource.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:10 PM

I just checked it a little while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 557 View Post
42 degrees Fahrenheit, or +/- 5 degrees Celsius. Cancel what I said earlier about the flow rate. Checking it again today, it appears to have increased significantly. The biblical amount of rain we have been getting here of late likely has something to do with this. May check the actual flow rate tomorrow.