1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-22-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
Well, for an easy starting point, the small kit I keep on hand at almost all times is:

WetOnes Packets (4) These are handy for cleaning wounds, hands, etc.
Small bottle with 4 Imodiums, 8 Ibuprofen, 4 aspirin, 8 benedryl, 8 tylenol and 4 Tums
Small Individual Spray Neosporin
1 Tampon
1 MaxiPad--(I'm married and have a daughter, believe it or not, these have come in handy)
Disposable Scissors
Tape
Coban
2 2" Gauze Pads, 2 4x4 Telfa Pads

This all fits in a small pouch. I've got one in each vehicle and keep one in a small "Pack" I carry with me.

I'm a "Redneck" so I also have 3-4 clean cotton bandana's handy. They make good compress bandages, a tie up for a bandage and also a sling when needed.
This is a decent foundation- minus the meds and anitbiotic ointments, given a 10 years old and school environment. Most schools have very little tolerance for self administered drugs, particularly in grammer schools. God help the child that "distributes" a Tylonal to a friend...

The big question is 'does the 10 year old have the cognitive ability, disciple, skill, and training to be administering medical treatment?' What she is capable of treating isn't likely life threatening- no risk in being left untreated for hours...anything requiring immediately treatment is likely beyond her capabilities.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 03-30-2018, 04:56 PM

If this is going to be happening in the next few weeks I'd be more worried about the weather and hypothermia...band aids, neosporin stuff, the wet ones is a good idea. A few acetametaphin and maybe an ace bandage.

I'd be more interested in seeing a survival blanket and fire starter stuff in the kit though...

The cell coverage is a good question and worth checking into!
Old 03-30-2018, 08:25 PM

Thanks a lot guys for all your suggestions. Me and her had a very nice long conversation where she outlined to me what type of injuries can happen to her that she thinks she can comfortably treat. Based on that she came up with a list .

We are packing

1) IBD. She tore and applied one on me with no issues, if not neat, first time around. Expertly 2nd and third time around so she is confident she can do it.
2) Elastic bandage, did a satisfactory job on a wrist and ankle.
3)Neosporin single use packets
4) Gauze Pads,
5) Duct tape small roll
6) Cortisone cream single use packets
7) Sun screen single use packets
8) Burn Jell single use packets
9) Hand Wipes single use packets
10) Eye drop vials
11) Saline vials
12) Pedia Lyte
13) Surefire flashlight(She will be disappeared if that one doesn't come back home)
14) Tweezers
15) Heavy duty band aids.
Meds I asked teachers if they are packing communal medicine cabinet. I'm leery of packing anything internal use, my concern one of the other kids might decide to help themselves to her kit and swallow stuff.

My only concern left is the water quality at that place, no bottled water there it is a well water, but nothing much I can do about it.

Capt. Methane. She gets loaded with all the proper layers, merino wool, goose down rain shell proper boots etc etc., and a stern lecture on how to use them. That's all I can do. If she goes ditzy over there I guess I'll be treating bronchitis after she comes back. . There is decent cell coverage there and the office has landline, fire starter I'll let the guides cover that, too large group of kids to maintain collective intelligence and do it responsibly.

Last edited by matrosov; 03-30-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 04:37 PM

The school should supply an itemized list of what to pack for your daughter. I've been a chaperone on 6th grade trips and on the geezer patrol with the local BSA Troop and that is the way we've always rolled.

Or you could probably get by with a big bag of snacks and some pointers on bartering!
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 PM

I've been asking school if they have any communal medical supplies. So far no response, so I just packed her up hanged it on her bag, hopefully teachers will have half a brain to look in there if she gets banged up. I am one those people that hopes for the best and prepares for the worst, always been that way since childhood, teach my kids the same. Just this past Sat. a girl at my kids birthday party managed to crack her ankle jumping around at one of those trampoline places. Good thing I had a sam splint and an ice pack in my car bag .

I get the point that paramedics are only 10 minutes away but psychologically speaking it goes a long way when you do something to make a kid "feel" better vs standing around waiting for the calvary.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:11 PM

Just to follow up and circle back and give you guys all the credit

Good evening!
Thank you for sending such a great first aid kit with Irina. She hasnít had to use it, but one of the chaperones needed to use some of the pain killers after a day of hiking. He forgot his Advil, so he used some of Irinaís.
Again, thank you for sending it along.
Best,
Meg
Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 AM

See she did fine. I know all about worrying and watching them grow up and do things without you. IT SUCKS. Today my twin girls turned 21. One is happily married and the other is still trying to figure out what she wants to do.

Enjoy it now they grow up fast. 21 years flew by. Sound like you have a great kid.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:26 PM

Good to hear.