Today's range trip with the CZ Shadow 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-25-2017, 09:37 PM

Today's range trip with the CZ Shadow 2

I really like this pistol. Everything else I shoot I pull to the left, even my Les Baer. This one stays pretty centered. The trigger is very good, recoil is almost nonexistent. The sight are excellent.

CZ is the best brand of 9mm made in my opinion. With this purchase, I will stick to .45 ACP 1911s. Nothing to be gained for me by buying another 9mm 1911.

This is 20 rounds fired at 30 yards. I'm not quite sure if that is 11 or 12 rounds in the "X" ring.

From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691

Last edited by monadh; 08-25-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monadh View Post
Thanks for the initial write-up. The CZ Shadow 2 looks a lot like my Sig P210.

Good timing with your write-up. I read 1saxman's write-up on his CZ P-01 and got a hankering for a CZ. Went to the LGS yesterday to look at a few CZ 75 models and variants (I also fired and tried out a CZ 75B a few months ago and really liked it). After handling a few, I really liked the SP-01. The reason is because of the full-length dust cover probably adds some heft to reduce recoil and muzzle flip. I have a Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight 45ACP, and its full-length dust cover really reduces muzzle flip. I imagine the CZ Shadow 2 will be a pleasure to shoot with the muzzle flip-reducing characteristics (and it looks like my LB Mono HW!).

I been spending the past few hours reading about CZs. The hurricane is hitting and rain in Houston is pretty heavy. I'm not going anywhere tonight. I'm leaning towards the Shadow 2 or the SP-01 Shadow Target II mainly because I want something for USPSA Production Division. My other Production gun is a polymer Walther PPQ 5-inch 9mm.

The front sight on your Shadow 2 looks like a Dawson Precision. Is the rear sight metal or plastic?
Old 08-25-2017, 11:29 PM

The front sight is what came with it. I'm not sure. The rear sight is steel and adjustable for elevation.

I bought it when I saw it at the LGS on Tuesday. I came walking in, one of the guys looked away from a customer he was talking to, grinned, and said, "I have something to show you. This just came in." We walked over, he pulls it out, and I said, "You are plain evil, and I hate you guys for doing this to me." He just grinned and said, "Yeah, I knew you'd like it as soon as I saw it."

I have actually lost count of my CZ collection. Some have been taken by my kids for CCW, and my best carry CZ is being given to my future daughter-in-law next year after the wedding. There is no other brand of firearm that I have as much confidence in as CZ.

I have 3 SP-01 pistols and love the one my kids didn't take. I have a 75 SA that was the most accurate until the Shadow 2 showed up. I have a P-01 steel framed pistol on layaway, and it will take the place of the PCR that my daughter-in-law is getting.

You will not go wrong with the Shadow 2. I am not a competitor. I have it because I am an accuracy freak, and it is showing great promise.

Be safe during this storm.

COTEP CBOB0691

Last edited by monadh; 08-25-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:24 AM

Your Shadow 2 is a looker! How does the SA trigger on your Shadow 2 compare to your CZ 75 B SA?
Old 08-26-2017, 09:12 AM

The single action on the Shadow is smoother than the SA with a much better break.

The SA is hellaciously accurate, though. I am probably going to sell it since I won't be shooting it much now I have the Shadow.
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 08-26-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The single action on the Shadow is smoother than the SA with a much better break.

The SA is hellaciously accurate, though. I am probably going to sell it since I won't be shooting it much now I have the Shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
Your Shadow 2 is a looker! How does the SA trigger on your Shadow 2 compare to your CZ 75 B SA?

Very happy I looked at this thread, been pondering the same question myself.

How about travel? Is SA only travel comparable to single action in SA/DA guns?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2017, 09:39 AM

Another SP-01 fan here..... I love the weight...the capacity....

Mines in the shop getting a Cajin Gun Works kit installed...... can't wait to get it back.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

Mines in the shop getting a Cajin Gun Works kit installed...... can't wait to get it back.
I'm looking forward to the results. Please post.
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 08-26-2017, 01:09 PM

too bad the Shadow 2 seems to be out of stock almost everywhere.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:52 PM

One more thing I need to mention so that no one else makes the same assumption based on the past.

CZ no longer provides a factory target with their pistols. Mine did not have one, and when I called CZ to ask about that, they told me of the change.
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 08-27-2017, 06:49 PM

And I will be taking this to the range next time.

COTEP CBOB0691
Old 08-27-2017, 07:57 PM

Another CZ pistol (and bolt rifle) fan here. Great pistols and even at retail price I think a good value. Magazines are cheap and plentiful also. Been looking at adding another one here soon.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Honestly, no comparison. I have a friend who just converted his S2 to SA, had a chance to shoot it on Friday, very impressive.

Since I do not shoot competitively, I converted my Accu Shadow to SA, and I will say, the stock S2 converted to SA was darn close to mine which came worked over by CZC.

If you want to see where the trigger sits, take a look at the CZ TS to give you the idea. It has a short travel compared to the CZ 75B SA, and reset is much better.

Don't forget, the Shadows do not have a firing pin block like the standard 75's.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-5 View Post
If you want to see where the trigger sits, take a look at the CZ TS to give you the idea. It has a short travel compared to the CZ 75B SA, and reset is much better.
I had the opportunity to handle a CZ TS at a LGS in Houston and was very impressed with the SA trigger.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I had the opportunity to handle a CZ TS at a LGS in Houston and was very impressed with the SA trigger.
It is great, but a little too light for me. They are less then 2 lbs.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:30 PM

Handled a CZ Shadow 2 today at Cabela's. I really like the heft of the pistol and the way it felt in my hand. Trigger pull weight was pretty good for both DA and SA. Me likee!!! The price was $1299 plus tax. I will try and find a better deal on Gunbroker.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Handled a CZ Shadow 2 today at Cabela's. I really like the heft of the pistol and the way it felt in my hand. Trigger pull weight was pretty good for both DA and SA. Me likee!!! The price was $1299 plus tax. I will try and find a better deal on Gunbroker.
Someone on ARFCOM said that Fin Fur Feather had them for $1099. Check them out.
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 09-02-2017, 07:17 PM

You can't find them around cause I think everyone at my club keep scarfing them up! A lot of the guys are shooting the CZ custom shop guns.
I've shot a couple of them. Very nice guns.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

Mine has been a great service weapon. Doubt I will ever carry anything else.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Someone on ARFCOM said that Fin Fur Feather had them for $1099. Check them out.
While perusing CZ Shadow 2 prices I stumbled on a Walther P88 with two factory 15-rd mags for a price I could not let get away. The price was virtually half of the normal asking price of a P88. I ended up buying the Walther!!
Old 09-10-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the results. Please post.
Me too. I want to have my SP01, 97B, and P09 modded.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
One more thing I need to mention so that no one else makes the same assumption based on the past.

CZ no longer provides a factory target with their pistols. Mine did not have one, and when I called CZ to ask about that, they told me of the change.
I just picked my SP01 up last week and it had the factory target in the case. Maybe I got one of the last before they made the change...

I had a heck of a time finding one local to check out before buying too. Place I got it from had the CZ75b and the sp01 with the safety. I liked the extra weight up front on the sp01 and the sights are worlds better then the sights on the 75b. I am thinking about getting these sites for my sig P220 I like them so much...

-Jim

Last edited by JimB1; 10-23-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:24 PM

CZs are excellent guns, I have several and I use a Shadow Tac II custom for 3-gun and USPSA plus a Checkmate if I feel like shooting open class. I also have a Shadow 2 with minor work done to try to improve it's feel to that of my Shadow, my only real gripe is that the trigger has way to much reset length for my taste vs the short reset trigger in the Checkmate and Shadow.

It has the potential to be the faster gun of the two though since the weight helps it so much, I am not done adjusting the spring weights yet to make the impulse as linear as possible so I am not gonna pass judgement on it yet. Mine shoots 2 inches at 25 offhand and will hit what I need it to and can be run quite fast before the reset length leads to pulled shots or trigger freeze, I have new trigger and hammer coming so that I can fix that though.

Overall all my CZs are 100% reliable (with the crap ammo I like to train with plus suppressors on the SP-01) and are very easy to shoot quickly, they are by far my favorite 9mm launchers due to the excellent (Better than a 1911 IMO) ergos, close to a 1911 trigger if fully worked over, and slim overall size and fairly easy carry. I have not yet decided on a 2011 so we will see if the 1911 will leapfrog the CZs for game use.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 10-23-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Gordon View Post
Another CZ pistol (and bolt rifle) fan here. Great pistols and even at retail price I think a good value. Magazines are cheap and plentiful also. Been looking at adding another one here soon.
Where so if I might ask? I have been paying nearly $50 a mag for my guns......and I need more, always need more mags.......
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 10-24-2017, 07:00 PM

Greg Cote LLC