100yd Range trip - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-27-2017, 08:11 AM

100yd Range trip

So I have a .22 marlin 81j that my brother got for me while in the navy in japan back in 1967 or 68, I haven’t shot it in over 25yrs because it had an issue of if you closed the bolt to hard it would discharge so I had a friend go through it last year and he replaced a bunch of things including a broken firing pin, anyway I put a 3x9 scope on it when it came back but never fired it, so Wednesday I took it out to a club I belong to that has a pretty basic range with a max distance of 100yds. Out of the box shooting at paper plates I was shooting 5rds and then look to see the results and I was pleased in being able to put all 5 shots on the plates, at the lower edge but all on , so a bit of adjusting on the scope netted me 2-5” groupings on center, I was happy for a blind, shaky older guy. So someone had left a bunch of bowling pins that I took great joy in setting a row of them up and shooting them in the head to knock them over, shooting them in the body generally wouldn’t knock them over, great fun. By the way I used Winchester 40gr and Browning 40g roundsthat I believe are 1250fps.

So I have a question for all you smart guy’s out there, moving up to the 50yd line would show me results with the grouping about 4-6” over the poa, so what kind of drop is normal for a .22 rd over 50yds ? Is the 4-6” normal ?

Also I took my Thompson .45 1911 with an edbrown barrel along to shoot it a bit and can say that I have a new very big appreciation for trsotto’s accomplishments of shooting his 1911 at 100yds and 200yds, the targets are very small at 100yds and I can’t even imagine 200yds. Between the very small target and my not so great vision and the mild shake that seems to afflict me these days I think I managed to get 1 lucky round on target out of 30 or so,,,, trsOtto you are the man!

Last edited by passx; 10-27-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:36 AM

Hah!!! I don't know about that last statement, but thanks for the compliment!!!

Here's a good article on longer range 22 lr shooting. I remember coming across this a while ago. Here's the link.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sight_22_75yds.html

In the middle he has a chart for trajectory of a 40 gr 22 at 1255 fps....pretty much spot on to the load you're shooting. I've never done what he has proposed as far as sighting in at 75 yds. All my squirrel hunting is done at 25 yds and under so that's where I sight in my 22's.

Give it a whirl and let us know what happens!!!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:37 AM

TRSOtto, I basically am doing this for fun, I don’t hunt anymore cause the wife says she’s not eating critter. Thanks for the reply, what’s in the chart is pretty much what I was getting at 100yds vs 50yds. Sighted at 100yds and then shooting at 50 showed things to be about 4” or so high so it jives up. If i’d Shot it from a real steady rest instead of resting it off a detergent bottle it would have been a bit more consistent but it really was just me doing it for just my own fun,,,, next up I gotta just shoot it more and learn the scope a bit better, and maybe take that .45 Thompson back out and try the 100yd shot from a real steady rest to see if I can do it, i’ll be happy if I can hit things just 50% of the time,, that’s the goal anyway...... this is all about having fun right ? And I would challenge anyone to get out and try to do a longer 1911 shot at at least 50yds to 100yds just to really appreciate someone actually doing it at freakin 200yds,,, just awesome !
Old 10-27-2017, 01:10 PM

Absolutely....its all about the fun....otherwise...whats the point?

Yes, shooting at longer ranges requires a dead steady rest. I use old 25 lb shot bags filled with sand....and filling them with shelled corn works well without the weight if you don't want to deal with heavy sandbags. If you have any friends when reload shotgun shells....they can supply you with empty canvas shot bags.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:34 PM

If you're sighted in at 50 yards the drop at 100 yards is 5.6", so your experience is spot on. If you want to shoot a .22lr accurately past 50 yards you should really shoot standard velocity ammo as it does not break the sound barrier. When a bullet goes from supersonic to subsonic it becomes unstable. It will have more drop, but will be much more accurate at distance. Here's a link to Federal's bullet drop calculator. I have several on my phone I use at the range. Winchester has one for all their ammo.
I know guys who shoot .22 rifles out to 200 yards. At that point it is much like shooting a .308 out to 800-1000 yards, but with the wind playing a bigger factor.

https://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics_calculator/

Have fun with your .22. They are a hoot!
Jeff