LW CMD 9mm Seems Snappy for it' Weight - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-31-2017, 05:09 PM

LW CMD 9mm Seems Snappy for it' Weight

I haven't shot the CMD much but was shooting it today with my Glock 19 and little Glock 43. I was shooting non-+P 115 gr LAX and 124 gr Freedom Munitions. The Ruger was snappier than either of the Glocks which weight around 23 oz and 18 oz unloaded. I was only loading 6 rounds in each gun so that didn't effect the difference in weight. And the LAX and FM are far from "hot" loads. I'm not especially recoil sensitive but it seemed rather excessive for the size of the gun. Would going to a 12 or 14lb recoil spring reduce the perceived recoil and get back on target quicker?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:53 PM

In my opinion recoil is largely a personal impression. A fault I have after running through a buffet at the range I always shoot my carry 6711 in .45. It feels like an old friend and I tend to be very relaxed for the first couple rounds or mags before snugging up the grip. Before getting serious it tends to snap and wiggle a bit until I remember it is a .45. Properly gripped the recoil on it much the same as my full size steel 5" 1911s....a little less smooth but it is back on target faster than I am ready. The reason I point this out is most of that snap is my fault. Of all my 9mm the softest perceived recoil is in my wee 15 ounce Sig P938. Again it is me...I really hold on to it because for the first 4-6 mags I fully expected it to fly off on its own. That grip stayed with me. Perhaps you were expecting too much on the weight difference. Of course physics are at work as well in the process. Which brings me to springs. I have a CZ based pistol I went with a much lighter recoil spring in and found it got much "snappier" and I missed the heavier spring bringing it back down to target for me as well.

That is personal observation. I hope somebody comes along who has a more qualitative comment. In the meantime check your attitude, expections, and grip....no shipping cost.

Most of the time if my pistol misbehaves it is me. I often hand it to another guy and ask to put a mag down range and then see his results and get his opinions. No dig on you intended, but sometimes we are the problem. My .45 6711 only has a couple more # spring than your 9mm. I say that as a hint to make small changes, if at all, until you hear from someone who knows what they are talking about. Good luck....I love mine and alternate carry with the Sig P938. Both are great guns and are sweet spots in their categories. I just sold my last full size/weight 1911 simply because the 6711 is much more versatile.

Last edited by Flibuoy; 05-31-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 AM

Thanks Fibouy I will watch the grip next time but I think I have a really firm grip with both hands. I have taken about 25 hours of classes and instruction this spring, shooting twice a week at the range and practice with a SHIRT pistol at home and dry fire some with actual guns. At the public range I seat the pistol with my support hand into my firing hand to get a good combat grip. I have a very strong grip on the pistol (I have to be careful not to over grip so I don't "milk" the grip while pressing the trigger) and a lot of grip and thumb on the slide with the support hand. That pistol of any flavor isn't going anywhere. But I was surprised as to the amount of recoil and snap I felt with the Ruger shooting mild 9mm. I shoot weaker .357 out of my LCR so I'm not particularly recoil sensitive. The recoil from the Ruger doesn't bother me but seems rather pointless for a gun that size and weight with a rather mild load. I suspect the weak factory recoil spring is the reason. Also the bore axis may be higher than the Glocks. BTW at 6 yds I had one hole group for 16 rounds. I think it will be very accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 10:16 AM

Playing with recoil springs will probably help. My full size Ruger 1911 had much more perceived recoil when shooting side by side with both my Colt and SIG full size 1911's. I changed to a 16.5 lb recoil spring from WOLF and now its the same as the others. Not sure what they use in the LW Commander.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
I haven't shot the CMD much but was shooting it today with my Glock 19 and little Glock 43. I was shooting non-+P 115 gr LAX and 124 gr Freedom Munitions. The Ruger was snappier than either of the Glocks which weight around 23 oz and 18 oz unloaded. I was only loading 6 rounds in each gun so that didn't effect the difference in weight. And the LAX and FM are far from "hot" loads. I'm not especially recoil sensitive but it seemed rather excessive for the size of the gun. Would going to a 12 or 14lb recoil spring reduce the perceived recoil and get back on target quicker?
Yes it will reduce recoil, I have the same gun and I just swapped out the recoil spring to wilson combat 12 pound spring. Gun performs much better now.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the standard factory recoil spring weight for both the full-size SR1911 .45 and the 9mm commander?

I have a Springfield Armory 9mm Range Officer, and changing the weight of the recoil spring seemed to make a noticeable difference in recoil. I suggest that you experiment a little.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:52 AM

I spoke with Ruger CS yesterday. The standard recoil spring in the LT CMD 9mm is 10 lbs.
Here is an article I found in a review of this gun. It address a couple of issues the reviewer found to include the "snappy recoil" that he felt as well.
http://www.downrange.tv/blog/shootin...-lw-9mm/37459/

I ordered a 12, 14,16 Wolf spring. One of these should slow the slide but still function with the FM I'm shooting.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:37 PM

I also just picked up a used 9mm commander. Just shot it yesterday, very accurate, but I also thought recoil was very snappy. Ordered a 14# recoil spring today.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:32 AM

When I used to shoot pins, my main gun was a 2-port compensated SA Defender in .45acp. My fastest time was 3.00 seconds with 230 gr ball ammo. Once, for grins and giggles I shot a match with my Lightweight Colt Commander, also in .45acp and using 230gr ball ammo. My best time was 3.13 seconds. Every shooter handles recoil differently, as does each gun. Less mass 'should' equate to less perceived recoil. My 9mm Ruger Lightweight Commander is the most pleasant shooting 1911 I've ever shot.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 PM

My newest 2 guns are a Block 19 and a 9 MM Valkyrie Commander. To me the 19 is twice as snappy as the Valkyrie. Really a surprise after shooting the Valkyrie first. To me the 19 is more like a Lightweight commander in .45.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:55 PM

Just installed a Wilson 12-pound commander spring.
Much nicer, especially shooting 124-grain hollow points.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:52 AM

Surprised the post lasted this long. I replaced the spring with a stronger one. I have to check to determine which one. But the snappy recoil issue went away. I understand why Ruger went with a light spring but it was too light for me. Now the recoil is appropriate for caliber, load and weight of the pistol.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:00 AM

I like the snap and have no issue with the weapon itself.

It does take some patience and time to get the feel of the trigger or to tune it to your taste.

4" commander (all steel) seems the perfect fit for me.

Each is unique.

VFW