Ruger Commander back from Ruger - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-24-2016, 07:00 PM

Ruger Commander back from Ruger

I bought a Lightweight from Ruger as a carry gun, basically an alternative to my full size Springfield Loaded. First trip to the range, out of 10 mags I had 4 FTF's. Took the weapon home cleaned and lubed it, back to the range the next day. Same problem somewhat worst. Sent it back to Ruger, 2 weeks to the day I got the gun back. New extractor and they tightened up the play in the grip safety. I have run about 150 rounds of mixed ball ammo, no issues. This weapon, for the price is excellent. I was not too crazy about the two tone finish: I thought the slide looked like it was sprayed with bright silver spray paint, but it is starting to grow on me. I loved the stock super thin grips until I ran a few rounds though the gun, I can't get a good grip on it. I replaced them with some black VZ aliens, problem solved. I can see why Ruger is selling a ton of these. The sights are dead on, accurate, light weight......
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg  
Old 03-24-2016, 07:36 PM

The grips really complement your gun! Nice pick.
Hi Standard Sentinel Deluxe
S&W Model 19
Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 PM

thanks, I like those aliens, they make a big difference for me on follow up shots and accuracy over the stock panels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2016, 06:42 PM

Lw cmd

Good to hear you are pleased with yours. Mine is giving me fits. I've been able to get a maximum of 20 rounds thru it before it fails-to-feed, jamming the bullet nose into the feed ramp. It's been back to Ruger once already. They fired 21 rounds of Buffalo Bore thru it with no problem and said it was good.

I've tried at least 4 different brands of ammo (all 230 grain ball) and at least 5 different brands of magazines (CMC Shooting Star, CMC Powers Mags, WC 47D, WC ETM, and Ruger factory).

I liked my other Ruger 1911's but this one has me perplexed. To get the 20 rounds thru it I used one specific WC 47d mag that it seemed to like and used a "death-grip" on the pistol. All was well until round 21.

I think these are made in North Carolina?? Wondering if I could actually take it to the factory myself instead of mailing it. That way I could talk directly to a tech and hopefully get this resolved. It's too nice of a pistol to not be used.

BK
Old 03-25-2016, 07:52 PM

When I started having problems, the advice I got was the extractor needed to be adjusted (tension) and/or repaired. The tech saw it the same way apparently. In your case I would definitely send it back a second time. Hopefully they will not give you the " your grip is too loose" etc. After I got my gun back from Ruger, I tried to limp wrist the weapon intentionally just to rule out any unknowns. Some of my plastic guns will jam if you do not have a firm grip in addition to running certain ammo i.e. my Glock 26 fired with PMC. I sent my back to Prescott AZ. Call Ruger see what they say, good luck.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:54 AM

Good to hear that you're pleased and great to hear about their service.
Ruger SR1911 Commander, .45, Glock 30 SF .45, Marlin 1895 GBL in 45/70,Marlin Golden 39M Mountie .22, Remington 870 Express Magnum Scatter gun (project) 12 ga, .50 Investarms Hawken, CVA Wolf .50 cal Smokepole, 5.56 Colt LE SOCOM/ M4 6920 Black rifle.