Just picked up a Talo Night Watchman CMD - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2016, 08:00 PM
Big Lig Big Lig is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 83
Just picked up a Talo Night Watchman CMD

Saw this at a LGS and was immediately impressed. It's the size I prefer, the finish I prefer and almost has all of the accessories I prefer. Which leads me to my question, has anyone modified theirs anyway? Pics and descriptions are appreciated. What I am planning on is adding an ambi safety, magwell and VZ Operator 2 black/grey (already ordered).

Hoping to range trip her Wednesday. I'll report if I do get to go.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-2016, 08:45 AM
dakota1911 dakota1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Great American Desert
Posts: 22,914
I got a pair of the hard rubber grips off the Ruger website to put on mine.

__________________
NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2016, 04:18 PM
TOWGUNNER TOWGUNNER is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 464
Nw cmd

Congrats on your new NW! I hope you're as please with yours as I have been with mine? The only thing I did to mine was completely disassemble it and polish/smooth everything up. I don't have a trigger pull guage but mine had a nice trigger right outta the box ad after I polished everything up it's even sweeter! I've only put 385 rounds through mine sincei got it back in May but it has digested everything without a hitch (except some of my handloads that had too much flare on the case mouth) and accuracy has been superb! All I have done is add skateboard tape to the front strap and after that I will probably swap out the grips with something a little nicer once I decide what I like the best.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-23-2016, 04:30 PM
Dr.Steve Dr.Steve is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 37
What do they call that finish? It looks like a matte blue. Great looking 1911.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2016, 05:11 PM
Big Lig Big Lig is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOWGUNNER View Post
Congrats on your new NW! I hope you're as please with yours as I have been with mine? The only thing I did to mine was completely disassemble it and polish/smooth everything up. I don't have a trigger pull guage but mine had a nice trigger right outta the box ad after I polished everything up it's even sweeter! I've only put 385 rounds through mine sincei got it back in May but it has digested everything without a hitch (except some of my handloads that had too much flare on the case mouth) and accuracy has been superb! All I have done is add skateboard tape to the front strap and after that I will probably swap out the grips with something a little nicer once I decide what I like the best.
I've never detail stripped one yet. Probably should learn. Which also means I've never polished one up before either.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2016, 11:00 AM
TOWGUNNER TOWGUNNER is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 464
Thank goodness for You Tube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lig View Post
I've never detail stripped one yet. Probably should learn. Which also means I've never polished one up before either.
I learned by watching You Tube videos - there are plenty of good ones out there. The ones I liked best were the ones by Nic Taylor. He does a good job showing and explaining everything as he goes along. All it really takes is some fine grit sandpaper (400 or 600), some polishing compound, and a Dremel with a polishing wheel. Once you do it once and watch the videos several times it's not nearly as intimidating. The hardest part for me was getting the sear and disconnector to stay together and stay in the proper place long enough to line up the pin and get it through the frame. Other than that a complete disassembly/reassembly is not too bad - for me anyhow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 AM
TOWGUNNER TOWGUNNER is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 464
Black Nitride Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Steve View Post
What do they call that finish? It looks like a matte blue. Great looking 1911.
It's a black nitride finish and it seems to me to be pretty tough so far. I've carried mine pretty much everyday since about June in a N82 Professional IWB holster and I can't see ANY wear on the finish yet. When I was polishing everything up I noticed that using the sandpaper (600 grit) on the frame rails that it did take some of it off and get through to the shiny SS underneath.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Big Lig Big Lig is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOWGUNNER View Post
It's a black nitride finish and it seems to me to be pretty tough so far. I've carried mine pretty much everyday since about June in a N82 Professional IWB holster and I can't see ANY wear on the finish yet. When I was polishing everything up I noticed that using the sandpaper (600 grit) on the frame rails that it did take some of it off and get through to the shiny SS underneath.

Try using some finer sandpaper, in the 1-2k range and up.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-26-2016, 04:06 PM
Pier23 Pier23 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Enjoy! Mine is the full-size, but a wonderfully enjoyable pistol. Ruger did well!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2016, 12:14 AM
Bigguninsteve Bigguninsteve is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 21
Mine was a lightweight commander sr1911

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Jarhead0311 Jarhead0311 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 194
Like the Wilson Combat grips.
__________________
Semper Fi
USMC Veteran, NRA Life Member
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-05-2016, 12:43 AM
ABMI ABMI is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Trenton, MI
Posts: 27
I am really happy with my NW LW Commander, the only thing I'm unsure about is the bushing, it seems sloppy, I can take the bushing off by hand, no wrench needed. My last 1911 was a Dan Wesson & it was tight. That said the Talo seems to throw them in there fairly tight when you do your part, so I haven't ordered a bushing yet.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-06-2016, 11:27 AM
beasleydano beasleydano is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Horn Lake, MS
Posts: 471
I have the 5" model.

Last edited by beasleydano; 10-23-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Jarhead0311 Jarhead0311 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasleydano View Post
I have the 5" model.
Nice!
__________________
Semper Fi
USMC Veteran, NRA Life Member
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Marshall2011 Marshall2011 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 238
I love my NW CMD. It's my daily carry when my attire can conceal it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:02 PM
AEB60 AEB60 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 5
I bought mine about 6 months ago. So far I have installed a Cylinder and Slide hammer set and replaced the thumb safety, slide stop, magazine release,and chain link main spring housing with stainless parts from Fusion. The stainless parts were all polished before installation. The trigger was replaced with a solid short pad trigger also from Fusion and installed slim grips and bushings. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-08-2016, 02:53 PM
TOWGUNNER TOWGUNNER is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 464
Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEB60 View Post
I bought mine about 6 months ago. So far I have installed a Cylinder and Slide hammer set and replaced the thumb safety, slide stop, magazine release,and chain link main spring housing with stainless parts from Fusion. The stainless parts were all polished before installation. The trigger was replaced with a solid short pad trigger also from Fusion and installed slim grips and bushings. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.
Sounds sweet! Can you share some pictures with us to drool over?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-08-2016, 07:06 PM
cmcgehee cmcgehee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 55
I have the Nightwatchman Commander and it is my favorite and most accurate gun. I have put approx. 3000 rounds downrange without a hiccup. I have polished the interiors and trigger is very smooth. I do not care for serrated triggers so I smoothed the trigger face...much easier on my trigger finger. Grips are spaulted orange osage.

Last edited by cmcgehee; 03-08-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Kybill Kybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
I too have the 5" Night Watchman. It has rapidly become my favorite gun and the accuracy is superb. My daughter is now reminding me that her birthday would be a great time for her to also own one.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 PM
AEB60 AEB60 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 5
Evidently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post a picture. I will probably have to wait until one of the grandkids comes over to show me how.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 PM
TOWGUNNER TOWGUNNER is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 464
Not smart enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEB60 View Post
Evidently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post a picture. I will probably have to wait until one of the grandkids comes over to show me how.
Don't feel bad - I'm right there with you on that! LOL
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-17-2016, 09:51 PM
Cowboy1629 Cowboy1629 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Age: 59
Posts: 1,018
Nice looking Night Watchmen! I had my local gun shop order the NW CMD last week for me. When I talked to him yesterday he said he's still waiting on it to come in. Looking at these pictures and hearing how nice they run isn't helping my wait...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-18-2016, 09:23 AM
Marshall2011 Marshall2011 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy1629 View Post
Nice looking Night Watchmen! I had my local gun shop order the NW CMD last week for me. When I talked to him yesterday he said he's still waiting on it to come in. Looking at these pictures and hearing how nice they run isn't helping my wait...
The light weight version wasn't an option when I bought my NW CMD. But I have gotten used to the weight of the all stainless frame an slide. With the right holster it is easy to carry. When I go lighter again I want to get an officer size 1911.

Promised the wife I wouldn't buy another gun for a while so I guess I'll be waiting for a while.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved