Just picked up a Talo Night Watchman CMD - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-22-2016, 08:00 PM

Just picked up a Talo Night Watchman CMD

Saw this at a LGS and was immediately impressed. It's the size I prefer, the finish I prefer and almost has all of the accessories I prefer. Which leads me to my question, has anyone modified theirs anyway? Pics and descriptions are appreciated. What I am planning on is adding an ambi safety, magwell and VZ Operator 2 black/grey (already ordered).

Hoping to range trip her Wednesday. I'll report if I do get to go.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:45 AM

I got a pair of the hard rubber grips off the Ruger website to put on mine.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:18 PM

Nw cmd

Congrats on your new NW! I hope you're as please with yours as I have been with mine? The only thing I did to mine was completely disassemble it and polish/smooth everything up. I don't have a trigger pull guage but mine had a nice trigger right outta the box ad after I polished everything up it's even sweeter! I've only put 385 rounds through mine sincei got it back in May but it has digested everything without a hitch (except some of my handloads that had too much flare on the case mouth) and accuracy has been superb! All I have done is add skateboard tape to the front strap and after that I will probably swap out the grips with something a little nicer once I decide what I like the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 04:30 PM

What do they call that finish? It looks like a matte blue. Great looking 1911.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOWGUNNER View Post
Congrats on your new NW! I hope you're as please with yours as I have been with mine? The only thing I did to mine was completely disassemble it and polish/smooth everything up. I don't have a trigger pull guage but mine had a nice trigger right outta the box ad after I polished everything up it's even sweeter! I've only put 385 rounds through mine sincei got it back in May but it has digested everything without a hitch (except some of my handloads that had too much flare on the case mouth) and accuracy has been superb! All I have done is add skateboard tape to the front strap and after that I will probably swap out the grips with something a little nicer once I decide what I like the best.
I've never detail stripped one yet. Probably should learn. Which also means I've never polished one up before either.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:00 AM

Thank goodness for You Tube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lig View Post
I've never detail stripped one yet. Probably should learn. Which also means I've never polished one up before either.
I learned by watching You Tube videos - there are plenty of good ones out there. The ones I liked best were the ones by Nic Taylor. He does a good job showing and explaining everything as he goes along. All it really takes is some fine grit sandpaper (400 or 600), some polishing compound, and a Dremel with a polishing wheel. Once you do it once and watch the videos several times it's not nearly as intimidating. The hardest part for me was getting the sear and disconnector to stay together and stay in the proper place long enough to line up the pin and get it through the frame. Other than that a complete disassembly/reassembly is not too bad - for me anyhow.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 AM

Black Nitride Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Steve View Post
What do they call that finish? It looks like a matte blue. Great looking 1911.
It's a black nitride finish and it seems to me to be pretty tough so far. I've carried mine pretty much everyday since about June in a N82 Professional IWB holster and I can't see ANY wear on the finish yet. When I was polishing everything up I noticed that using the sandpaper (600 grit) on the frame rails that it did take some of it off and get through to the shiny SS underneath.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOWGUNNER View Post
It's a black nitride finish and it seems to me to be pretty tough so far. I've carried mine pretty much everyday since about June in a N82 Professional IWB holster and I can't see ANY wear on the finish yet. When I was polishing everything up I noticed that using the sandpaper (600 grit) on the frame rails that it did take some of it off and get through to the shiny SS underneath.

Try using some finer sandpaper, in the 1-2k range and up.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:06 PM

Enjoy! Mine is the full-size, but a wonderfully enjoyable pistol. Ruger did well!
Old 02-27-2016, 12:14 AM

Mine was a lightweight commander sr1911

Old 02-29-2016, 05:52 PM

Like the Wilson Combat grips.
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Old 03-05-2016, 12:43 AM

I am really happy with my NW LW Commander, the only thing I'm unsure about is the bushing, it seems sloppy, I can take the bushing off by hand, no wrench needed. My last 1911 was a Dan Wesson & it was tight. That said the Talo seems to throw them in there fairly tight when you do your part, so I haven't ordered a bushing yet.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Banned

I have the 5" model.

Last edited by beasleydano; 10-23-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasleydano View Post
I have the 5" model.
Nice!
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Old 03-06-2016, 02:27 PM

I love my NW CMD. It's my daily carry when my attire can conceal it.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:02 PM

I bought mine about 6 months ago. So far I have installed a Cylinder and Slide hammer set and replaced the thumb safety, slide stop, magazine release,and chain link main spring housing with stainless parts from Fusion. The stainless parts were all polished before installation. The trigger was replaced with a solid short pad trigger also from Fusion and installed slim grips and bushings. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:53 PM

Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEB60 View Post
I bought mine about 6 months ago. So far I have installed a Cylinder and Slide hammer set and replaced the thumb safety, slide stop, magazine release,and chain link main spring housing with stainless parts from Fusion. The stainless parts were all polished before installation. The trigger was replaced with a solid short pad trigger also from Fusion and installed slim grips and bushings. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.
Sounds sweet! Can you share some pictures with us to drool over?
Old 03-08-2016, 07:06 PM

I have the Nightwatchman Commander and it is my favorite and most accurate gun. I have put approx. 3000 rounds downrange without a hiccup. I have polished the interiors and trigger is very smooth. I do not care for serrated triggers so I smoothed the trigger face...much easier on my trigger finger. Grips are spaulted orange osage.

Last edited by cmcgehee; 03-08-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:09 PM

I too have the 5" Night Watchman. It has rapidly become my favorite gun and the accuracy is superb. My daughter is now reminding me that her birthday would be a great time for her to also own one.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 PM

Evidently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post a picture. I will probably have to wait until one of the grandkids comes over to show me how.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 PM

Not smart enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEB60 View Post
Evidently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post a picture. I will probably have to wait until one of the grandkids comes over to show me how.
Don't feel bad - I'm right there with you on that! LOL
Old 03-17-2016, 09:51 PM

Nice looking Night Watchmen! I had my local gun shop order the NW CMD last week for me. When I talked to him yesterday he said he's still waiting on it to come in. Looking at these pictures and hearing how nice they run isn't helping my wait...
Old 03-18-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy1629 View Post
Nice looking Night Watchmen! I had my local gun shop order the NW CMD last week for me. When I talked to him yesterday he said he's still waiting on it to come in. Looking at these pictures and hearing how nice they run isn't helping my wait...
The light weight version wasn't an option when I bought my NW CMD. But I have gotten used to the weight of the all stainless frame an slide. With the right holster it is easy to carry. When I go lighter again I want to get an officer size 1911.

Promised the wife I wouldn't buy another gun for a while so I guess I'll be waiting for a while.