shot new 1911 ruger yesterday - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 PM

shot new 1911 ruger yesterday

I put about 200 rounds in my new 1911 ruger yesterday . It jammed 5 or 6 times. After I cleaned it I used a dremel tool and mothers compound to polish the feeding ramp to a mirror shine. I'll shoot it next week to see if I fixed it or not.
But it did shoot nice otherwise.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:06 AM

Just to give you something to compare to….I've put about 700 rounds thru mine of "dirty cheap" ammo up to the white box remington….Its never FTF or FTE or jammed in any way…I am an RSO and see other SR1911's on the range…Never heard anyone complain about jamming…5 or 6 times seems like a lot ….What kind of ammo are you shooting….
Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 AM

The feed ramp's finish was not the cause of your misfeeds. Look closely at the extractor hook - if it is roughly finished and has sharp square corners it will place far more drag on the incoming round than the feed ramp ever will. The tension on the extractor needs to be set correctly also. The rim of the incoming round has to slip under the extractor hook smoothly. When you have a misfeed - before you clear it - look carefully at the round to see if the rim is below the extractor hook or halfway into the hook. If it has not slipped into the hook you have found your problem. Another test is to remove the extractor from the slide and see if rounds will chamber easily without. If they do the extractor is the problem. There are some stickies on this forum and the 1911.org forum which detail how to polish and tune your extractor. If you can post a photo of the jam we can probably tell you more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 09:11 PM

If it is new, and it is malfing, why not let Ruger deal with it instead of some dremel hack fix?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
If it is new, and it is malfing, why not let Ruger deal with it instead of some dremel hack fix?
Uh, hack fix? Polishing feed ramps is one of the services gunsmiths provide for a fee. LMAO

Lifetime Member DAV and NRA

Old 03-19-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman56 View Post
I put about 200 rounds in my new 1911 ruger yesterday . It jammed 5 or 6 times. After I cleaned it I used a dremel tool and mothers compound to polish the feeding ramp to a mirror shine. I'll shoot it next week to see if I fixed it or not.
But it did shoot nice otherwise.
I've run about 5,000 rounds through mine and the only times it has "stuttered" has been when she has started to run dry. A touch of Balistol on the track and all was good.