10 Rounders For Duty Use - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-01-2015, 09:29 PM

10 Rounders For Duty Use

I did a search but didn't find the answer I was looking for. What's the general consensus? Are the Wilson's or McCormick's reliable enough to carry on duty, and if so is one more reliable than the other?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:38 PM

I'm carring right now two Chip McCormick power 10+ on my duty belt and have had no problems with them. In the near future I'm going to get two more and get rid of my two wilson combat 8rds for no other reason, but to have a few more rounds. I'll still have my WC 8rd in the gun. I used the Wilson 10rd for a while, but went to the Chip McCormick. Nothing worng with them, but I liked the base on the CM'c better. The Wilson just have a metal stud on the front that looked a little fragal in my opion, but I never had problems with them. Hope that helps.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:33 AM

I wouldn't have a problem using them for matches, but not for duty. The magazine is the weak link in the 1911. If you're really worried about two more rounds, get a Glock or something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 08:43 AM

The general consensus is use the ones that your weapon will fire the most reliably no matter what brand name is stamped on it. This will only come from trial and error on your part.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:20 PM

PM sent
Old 12-02-2015, 03:48 PM

Make sure you can easily insert a full mag when the slide is forward and that the gun will reliably load from slide lock. When the Devel 8 round followers first came out I tried them in the 7 round mags for my work gun but had reliability issues. I later found mags that were designed for 8 rounds and were about 1/2 inch longer than 7 round mags. They were a bit hard to insert with the slide forward. I ended up with Devel followers in those mags and they worked fine. Back then there just weren't many choices but I learned a good lesson. I'm retired now but I've used the 10 round CMC mags at matches since and I think I'd carry them at work.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:18 PM

Not a cop, but I have used MCM, WC, Tripp...

I like the MCM Power10+ the best...The "+" implies the latest follower design.

What would really be the best is if Wilson made 10R versions of their 8 r flatwire mags. These are truly heaft mag springs and unmatched (as far as I know) in the industry (these are all I use now for 8R 1911)...We have threads asking about this possibility from time to time in the WC-folder but as far as I know it isn't on the drawing board. A 10 round WC Flatwire mag is truly something I would feel comfortable with in a SD encounter...WC puts a high-regard on Leo's need's so if you guys think it is a good idea, wouldn't hurt to let Wilson Combat know.
C.A.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 12-02-2015, 06:22 PM

I carry three Chip McCormick 10 round mags on by duty belt. I have had zero problems with them. As with any auto, get one, try it out, then get more if everything works ok. My personal opinion is that Tripp Research Cobra mags are the best money can buy. That doesn't mean none of the others are any good. The Chip McCormick mags are cheaper and they work fine for me so I have more of them than any other type. I carry a Cobra 8 round mag in my duty 1911 and Cobra 7 round mags in my off duty officer frame guns. We certainly have a plethora of excellent magazines from many different makers. A lot different from the old days when you wold buy 20 military surplus mags and hope that two or three of them were good to go. Back then, if we had a mag that hiccuped, we would crush it with a pair of vise-grips before we threw it away so someone would dig it out and try to use it. Not like today when you can buy excellent rebuild kits to replace the spring and follower and as long as the body doesn't have any dents and the feed lips are good, mags can last indefinitely. Rangertrace makes a good point that they only hold two more rounds. When you carry three extra mags on your belt , that adds up to 6 more rounds.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:22 PM

I don't have the honor of being a LEO, but I have 5 McCormick and one Wilson 10 round I trust enough to carry.

I do prefer the slimmer style of the Wilson, the bulky floor plate on the McC's while not a real issue does annoy the OCD in me.

WWJMBD
Sent from the panic room, via two tin cans attached with a string, and a jail broken Atari 2600, while wearing a Tin Foil hat.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:13 PM

I carry the Chip Mccormick power 10 mags also on duty. I have no problem with them. However I use them as reload mags and carry the Wilson ETM 8 round mag in my gun. Some of my deputies carry them in the gun and as reloads with no problems. And some of our deputies are die hard purists and carry 7 round Colt mags. As a firearms instructor for my dept and armorer, make sure they function with your duty ammo and if no problems go for it.
Colt Combat Unit 1911, Colt Wiley Clapp CCO1911, Colt XSE Lightweight 1911, Colt Delta Elite 10mm 1911,Ed Brown Special Forces 1911,Kimber SIS Custom/RL 1911, Kimber SIS Custom 1911, Kimber SIS Pro 1911,Kimber SIS Ultra 1911, Kimber Ultra Raptor Stainless 1911,Sig Sauer Nitron Rail 1911, Springfield MC Operator 1911, Wilson CQB Tactical LE 1911,GSG 1911 .22LR
Old 12-03-2015, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the replies and pm's. I've carried 47D's exclusively but recently one of my guys was shot, so it's got me seriously looking to upgrade all my gear. And to the 'carry another gun' crowd, the Sheriff issues and will only allow a 1911 to be carried. Not that I have a problem with that...but as far as capacity goes it is what it is.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:03 PM

Back when I worked Patrol, there weren't very many 8rd mags nor were there 10rd. So I had to carry 7rd.

I don't work in Patrol anymore, but now I carry WC 8rd ETM. I have never had a failure when using one.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:55 AM

I ran the Chip Power + mags for about two years with no real problems. I started to notice the back of the mag starting to bend open (where the rim of the case sits for the top round). The mags started to not fall free as easy. I went to instructor school when we were doing a reload my mag stuck in the gun. Slide would not go forward and would not drop free. I had to tap the mag out with the slide locked back.

I called Chip and spoke with a very nice lady that stated " you guys run those hard" and gave me info to order more. While they do offer an excellent discount, unless you are going to gett new mags every year i would stick with Wilson Combat Bureaucrat mags.

Two other guys ran the same set up. One runs his hard the other does not. both hit the two year mark and the mags started to do the same thing. We all run Wilson's now.

Just as an FYI. My gun is a Rock River Arms Tactical 5". The other two are Springfield TRPs.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:32 AM

I used CMC and Wolff 8rd mags in my duty gun, retired now, use CMC 8rd in my carry gun. Use CMC 10rd in my house gun, a Springfield MC Operator, never had any trouble with them, if I was working, I'd trust them.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 12-06-2015, 01:45 AM

When I work patrol I carry four 10 round McCormick mags on my duty belt. I have another four 10 round McCormick mags in my raid vest when serving warrants. I like the Wilson mags also but if you call McCormick directly, they will set up an account for you and you can get the mags at a significant discount.
Several years ago I had a McCormick eight round mag go bad. I called them and they asked me to hang on for a minute. Chip himself talked to me and apologized for the failure. He chatted for several minutes about how much he liked law enforcement and he shipped me a new mag and asked me to send the problem one back so they could examine it.
I have about fifteen 10 round McCormick mags and I carry them daily. My vote is the McCormick mags.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:31 AM

I would advise against using 10 rounders for duty. In my experience, some 1911's won't run them at all, even two 1911's of the exact same make/model. If they do work in your gun, they can be quite reliable when new, but they do not maintain adequate spring tension very long when kept fully loaded. At best, I would recommend only using them in planned raids where you can load them up right before. Hilton Yam notes the same issues here, and I would proceed with caution if you keep these loaded all the time:

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-magazines/
Old 12-25-2015, 09:41 AM

I carry a 4 mag pouch. I carry two black ETM's in the front two and two Chip 10+(New follower design) mags in the back. I stagger them to easily grab them since the 10 rounders sit higher. Either mag works fine on my Wilson duty gun. On the range or when I'm teaching classes, I use Chip 10+ mags on the range. I have not had any problems with either mags for duty, range or tactical use.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:29 AM

I hate to beleaguer the point but I still fail to see how anyone but you can determine the fitness of a given magazine for duty use of all things. As suggested people routinely have trouble with 8 rounders never mind 10.

Again I suggest you buy a few brands and test them vigorously for yourself. This is duty use not range plinking.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:36 PM

My reply was for duty use. Wilson and Chip mags, 10 rounders, work fine in my duty guns both on duty or when teaching at the range.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:13 PM

Just in case you don't want to click on the above link.......From Hilton:

Ten round magazines are a bit of a mixed bag with 1911s. Due to the taller, heavier column of rounds, they create additional issues that you do not get with 8 round magazines. The top round will tend to nose dive more during feeding, and if your feed ramp is not able to support this, then you will have constant feedway malfunctions, especially on the first round out of the magazine. Feed lip wear/spread is dramatically accelerated during slide lock reloads, as the column of rounds striking the feed lips is heavier. Springs can also fatigue much faster in these magazines. These issues make the 10 round magazine a much bigger maintenance issue and require an extremely diligent user for them to be used successfully. I have had success with the CMC Power Mag 10 round and Tripp Cobra Mag 10 round, but due to the above issues and shortened service cycles, I do not typically recommend 10 round magazines for most users.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:21 PM

I have sold all of my 10 rounders and now only carry the Wilson ETM's. On duty there are four on the belt, no worries
Old 01-09-2016, 02:34 PM

Not current law enforcement, but I can tell you that from my own safety standpoint, I would rather have the issue of finding a suitable mag holder for my duty belt to carry 3-4 8rd mags, than to sacrifice to the 10rd mags. I had a handful of each, ended up giving them away to other shooters because they didn't please me at all... I wouldn't trust my life to them.

Now as for the mag holder idea - that's up to your department... the Sheriff Offices I am applying to near me all have a strict policy of "you'll wear what we issue"... but that's another story.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Just one additional comment.

I buy new magazines every year. I take the new ones to the range and make sure that each function flawlessly. I take the price as a business expense and put the magazines from the year previously in the range bags.

Hilton does not say he does not use the ten round magazines but offers some cautionary comments on them.

In my life the ten round magazines make sense and I use the ones that are reliable. Chip McCormick and Wilson.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:50 PM

Can not speak to duty use, but have had the most reliable results in competition with CMC PM/PM+ 10's and 47T's. Need to be very particular with 10's.

Have also heard good things about the Tripp's, but don't need another variable. Whatever you buy, test 'em out thoroughly and stick with what works in your gun(s).

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 01-29-2016, 09:17 PM

I used to carry 4 10 round CMC mags on my belt and an 8 round in the pistol. They worked great at first, but eventually started to not drop free because the lips were spreading. One of the mags locked up the gun so bad that I could not move the slide or get the mag out. I had to tap the round back into the mag with a cuff key and hammer before I could rip the mag out. This happened in a pistol match and I was able to recreate it on the range. I sent all my 10 rounders in to CMC for the 3 year warranty. Chip called me and said that it was obvious that I do too many slide lock reloads and slam the mags in too hard. He was reluctant to replace them because he said the yellow card that comes in the package warns against slide lock reloads. I was able to get him to replace them with 8 rounders. I no longer trust the 10 rounders since it did not seem that chip had confidence in them. I continue to carry the 8 round power mags with extended base pads because the discount is so good.

I guess the 10 rounders would be ok if they were dedicated duty reload mags that stayed on the belt and were never used on the range. But I do not think they can be trusted for duty after they have been used in normal training on the range. If you want to test them on the range, don't do slide lock reloads, don't insert them too hard, and don't let them hit the ground.

I have no idea about Wilson or Tripp 10 rounders.

But the CMC 8 round mags are good to go and CMC is a great pro-law enforcement company, despite my experience with their 10 round mags.