SR1911 sneak peak. (This aint your average ruger) - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-01-2015, 05:56 PM

SR1911 sneak peak. (This aint your average ruger)

I posted a thread a few months back that I wanted to swap all my parts to stainless and do some other mods to my ruger. Fast forward a few months and with some Alaskan backwoods smithing I managed to get my ruger this far. I still need to do ALOT of work to get it where I am happy, but I figured it was good enough for a sneak peak. I function tested it at the range today and it worked flawless with 200 rounds. I would say its good enough to carry.

Work still needing to be performed.
Blend the grip safety and ejector
Replace extractor, firing pin stop, hammer and magazine catch screw
Install SDM gold bead front sight
Finish removing roll marks off slide
Bead Blast

Ok, enough talk, on to what you guys have been waiting for.

Parts List and mods
Chainlink II Mainspring housing
Front strap chainlink II treatment
Wilson Combat flat adjustable trigger
Wilson Combat Pin Kit SS
Fusion slide stop SS
Fusion Thumb Safety SS
Fusion Ejector SS
Fusion Magwell catch release SS
Fusion Extractor SS
Fusion Firing Pin Stop SS
Fusion Hammer SS
EGW beavertail grip safety SS
Stainless grip screws
Guncrafter Grips
SDM Gold bead front sight
Dust Cover warning removed

The only thing that was a drop in was the wilson pin kit.

Last edited by Ak-hunter; 08-01-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:32 PM

Fine looking Ruger
Old 08-01-2015, 11:36 PM

Looking not like a ruger... Very nice. Especially for home gunsmithing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 12:14 PM

Looking good. Plus projects like that keep you busy and out of trouble.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:00 PM

Darn fine lookin blaster.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 PM

I managed to get my new grips today along with the rest of my other parts installed.

So new hammer, firing pin stop and extractor were installed today. I need to blend the grip safety tomorrow along with the eejctor and then I can get it glass bead blasted.

I wanted to keep the ruger emblem on the opposite side, lighting didn't pick it up well, but should show up better after bead blast hopefully.

Last edited by Ak-hunter; 08-04-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:55 AM

Good looking weapon.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:52 PM

Finally got around to blending the grip safety, ejector and extractor. I need to final sand with 300 and then bead blast it. Amazing how fitting that grip safety changes the purchase you get on the firearm.

Next is fitting the gold bead front sight.

Last edited by Ak-hunter; 08-19-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:12 AM

Finally received my custom EGW bushing and plunger tube. Fits amazingly tight, just like it should have been!

Old 09-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Here is how it looks after it was flush cut.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:43 PM

Nice work!
Old 09-09-2015, 04:18 PM

I managed to test it today and the bushing install shrunk my groups. I am not the best shot by any means, but I could tell a vast improvement on my groups as I shot the firearm the day before without the new bushing and the barrel flush cut and they were all over the place.

First Magazine

Three Magazines Later

I have to install my SDM gold front sight (.185) and then bead blast the firearm. Hoping to have the rest complete in the next few weeks. I am going with a .185 because my groups are always about 1" low @ 7yards. I also need to drift the rear sight. But figured I wasn't going to waste the time with the stock sight adjustments until after the front sight install.

Sight picture of gun equals 6", I was shooting 1" low @ 7yards or 252".

6x1=6/252" = .023"

Ruger front sight is .210, subtract .023 and you get .187, so I should be right on the money.

Last edited by Ak-hunter; 09-09-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:57 PM

It is a beauty. I intend to have most of my black parts matte hard chromed & a few other changes. Before doing so I emailed Ruger C.S, about the warrantee policy on refinishing & changing pieces. They replied "it would void any warrantee, & I would be responsible for all charges if the pistol needed to be replaced" YIKES... Are you concerned about that?
I thought I would shoot mine awhile, to determine its reliability status, before I do the changes I want.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:24 PM

Not concerned one bit.. 1911 platform has been around a LONG time. You can get parts online very easily if anything seemed off...

I am cerakoting my gun here shortly, I just haven't had the time. Should be done by the end of this week.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:40 PM

Understand that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but it truly amazes me how much money is spent on making a 1911 "yours" vs buying a complete gun with all of your desired bits and pieces from the git-go. I have a couple of SR1911s and consider them to be almost perfect, as received. dd
Old 10-31-2015, 06:49 AM

Very nice indeed! I find it amazing how some people like to rain on somebody else's parade.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:54 AM

What a beautiful piece! Outstanding work Ak!
Old 11-14-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhd45 View Post
Understand that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but it truly amazes me how much money is spent on making a 1911 "yours" vs buying a complete gun with all of your desired bits and pieces from the git-go. I have a couple of SR1911s and consider them to be almost perfect, as received. dd

I think we are the gun equivalent of car hotrodding. Aside from the ability to say "I did this" I think in economic terms such work makes no sense.

But we all need projects. And this is clearly no dremel job.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:25 AM

nicely done grasshopper
Old 11-29-2015, 11:48 PM

Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak-hunter View Post
I managed to get my new grips today along with the rest of my other parts installed.

So new hammer, firing pin stop and extractor were installed today. I need to blend the grip safety tomorrow along with the eejctor and then I can get it glass bead blasted.

I wanted to keep the ruger emblem on the opposite side, lighting didn't pick it up well, but should show up better after bead blast hopefully.

HOW did you go about removing RUGER from the left side? I wouldn't mind seeing my slide sides "Brushed". Any down side to that? I would want to retain the matte top on the slide, so would need to be very careful.
Love your work, especially relieving the front edge of the slide. I'm real close to Fusion Firearms, about 10 miles from me in Venice FL. & use some of their stuff on my SR. Here it is so far. Thanks for the encouragement, Craig
Attached Thumbnails
SR & silver bits.JPG  
Old 12-08-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
HOW did you go about removing RUGER from the left side? I wouldn't mind seeing my slide sides "Brushed". Any down side to that? I would want to retain the matte top on the slide, so would need to be very careful.
Love your work, especially relieving the front edge of the slide. I'm real close to Fusion Firearms, about 10 miles from me in Venice FL. & use some of their stuff on my SR. Here it is so far. Thanks for the encouragement, Craig
You will need a thick piece of glass or a piece of marble. Basically a true flat surface. I am OCD so I measured the thickness of the slide that has the ruger laser etched into the slide. I then taped a piece of sandpaper down to my bench, started with 80 grit and worked up to 240 towards the end. Carpet tape works great! You then keep the side of the flat as parrallel to the piece of glass or marble that you are using to sand away the material in order to remove the laser etching. I made sure to use my dial calipers once I was almost done so the finished side of that slide was uniform and even. I honestly didn't have to touch up any spots and the glass I used kept everything true.

Use water or oil on your sandpaper to make it last longer and it gets the trash out of the paper. It's a slow process... I must have sanded off and on for a week. Though I did originally start with 180 grit paper and realized it was just going to take entirely way too long.

If I was to do it again i would buy the round sanding discs from a hardware store that already have adhesive on the back. remove the sticky back portion and stick it to my piece of glass. You won't touch the matte rounds if you are slow and steady.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:29 AM

That's one nice looking pistol you have there.
"A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"
Old 02-29-2016, 05:50 PM

Nice

Nice looking 1911.
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Old 02-29-2016, 06:03 PM

Really purty.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak-hunter View Post

Wow..............