1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:46 AM

why no Military and Veteran subforum?

Being a Retired Veteran of just over 21 years in the Army, I was wondering why there is no Military and Veteran sub-forum.

This could help point Veterans in the right direction for many things, mainly help, as an average of 22 Veterans are losing their battle and taking their own lives each day.
It can also be a sounding board for experiences, the military lifestyle, news, firearm information and updates.

It can also be to help members that have never known a service member, Veteran, or never really understood the military mindset about things in general.

I really enjoy the 1911forum and seek its advice quite often and also the entertainment of communicating with like minded Americans.

I would appreciate any and all comments, ideas, and thoughts everyone has on this topic, as there are quite a few Veterans on the Forum.

Without the militarys need for a new pistol that was more effective than the 38 revolver, there would be no M1911.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:40 PM

I agree with you brother.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:25 PM

Amen!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:47 PM
1911 Aficionado

This is a gun-specific forum. Even the General folder requires gun content; general gun discussion.
Is there anything about 1911s or other guns that is specific to military or vet that isn't covered in the existing folders?
Old 05-06-2015, 11:41 PM

While I'm a Vet, that's what I like about this forum Rick. Stick to the 1911 topic.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:16 AM

Too many forums try to be a jack of all trades and sometimes get away from why they were created. 1911forum has not followed that trend and that's why I continue to monitor this forum and occasionally contribute where I can.

Last edited by cadet3; 05-07-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
While I'm a Vet, that's what I like about this forum Rick. Stick to the 1911 topic.
I'm a vet too but stick to the 1911 topic.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:28 AM

some of the sub-forums seem to drift more than others, but, your house, your rules.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Retired Administrator

Quote:

Exactly right.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
This is a gun-specific forum. Even the General folder requires gun content; general gun discussion.
Is there anything about 1911s or other guns that is specific to military or vet that isn't covered in the existing folders?
By that concept the LEO section should be removed, there isn't much in it related to 1911s.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:43 PM
1911 Aficionado

Take that right to Site Suggestions.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Administrator

There are certain off-topic discussions that make sense, but exactly what will vary depending on one's own opinion. The LEO subforum was supposed to be for the many cops who still use 1911s on the job, but it seems that number has dwindled significantly so it has devolved into a general LEO subforum. One possible idea is to restructure it into a more general subforum dedicated to anyone who ever carried a 1911 in harm's way (LE or military), but that of course would require the approval of the rest of the 1911 Forum staff.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
There are certain off-topic discussions that make sense, but exactly what will vary depending on one's own opinion. The LEO subforum was supposed to be for the many cops who still use 1911s on the job, but it seems that number has dwindled significantly so it has devolved into a general LEO subforum. One possible idea is to restructure it into a more general subforum dedicated to anyone who ever carried a 1911 in harm's way (LE or military), but that of course would require the approval of the rest of the 1911 Forum staff.
Sorry, I am new here, but that seems like an awesome idea.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:20 PM

There is a problem with the LEO Sub Forum! The Military members are not allowed to post or comment on the LE Sub forum. Some of the Forum members are very hostile towards other people who are not LE but have significant experience in similar matters. So when a Military member does post, they get bullied embarrassed and disrespected.

I personally think it is disgusting how some of the LE forum members treat others on the 1911 forum site! They think they are exclusive. Truth is, they are the most rude on the forum in general.

This site has a lot of Active Duty and Retired Military with a vast amount of knowledge in 1911's, small arms, training and tactics with real world experience that get so disrespected because they just want to help other members and work together in solving real world issues with the 1911 and other high topic issues.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:13 PM
Banned

Just dont go to that part of the forum? Military also has a knack for shunning civilians too. In this forum it may be LEO elitists but there are many military on other forums who do the same to others. I personally dont see a need for a vet/military subforum.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Why not just combine the two MIL/LEO? Or would that rub to much?
Old 07-06-2015, 03:56 PM

I spent 24 years on active duty working and socializing with other military members and their families. I found it refreshing to re-enter the civilian world, and I welcome the social interaction with non-military/non-vets this forum offers. I feel no compulsion to segregate myself with others who have military experience and feel perfectly comfortable sharing with all members of whatever persuasion without the need for a dedicated sub-forum. There are plenty of other social forums for vets, so I don't see any reason to have a sub-forum for us on 1911.

Edit: I have looked at the LEO sub-forum threads, and I have never had a reason to post there. The only thing I did find of interest was the sticky on discounts.
TN Firearms Association Legislative Action Committee
Handgunlaw.us Donor

Last edited by spclopr8tr; 07-06-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Banned

Why not just not have one?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Veteran here also.....but I keep coming back because of the 1911 theme.
I see no reason to change.

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:44 PM

If you want a military forum, find one (there are dozens) or buy/create one. If you needed one it would have been issued. This is for 1911s, that's its name and the CO already ruled. You are dismissed, pick a door. This Retired Senior Chief supports the skipper.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
If you want a military forum, find one (there are dozens) or buy/create one. If you needed one it would have been issued. This is for 1911s, that's its name and the CO already ruled. You are dismissed, pick a door. This Retired Senior Chief supports the skipper.
I get it! You don't need to be rude! I was expressing my 1A rights on a suggestion. You don't need to cut my head off.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:25 AM

Guess it is kinda funny we have an LEO forum when there are probably 100 times more veterans. Never thought about that. I still think we should stick to the 1911 goal.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAxVIPER View Post
By that concept the LEO section should be removed, there isn't much in it related to 1911s.
He has a valid point. How is it that LEO is seen as 1911 related but a Vet/Military section would not?

Whom does it hurt to add this section? Just because it is there does not mean you have to read the content.

Adamg247
US Navy (Ret), Oath Keeper.
"United States Navy - "The Sea is Ours"
Old 07-08-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
I can not believe these words came from a Texan no less. I have posted a few times relative to Browning arms in Combat and to have a separate section for vet talk wouldn't take away from the forums over all theme, might even enhance it. I would rather hit one good forum than looking at my bookmarks for one to ask a question or to help a fellow vet. Sorry for the rant, but think about it. BTW I probably shot a firearm more in one day at bad guys than the LEOs did in their whole career. And trust me I have many good friends still on the job so its not about the LEO section.

Last edited by 11B40; 07-08-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG247 View Post
He has a valid point. How is it that LEO is seen as 1911 related but a Vet/Military section would not?

Whom does it hurt to add this section? Just because it is there does not mean you have to read the content.
Maintenance. And what does it hurt not to have one? It doesnt. Well i guess some people get butt hurt but man i really dont see the need.
Closed Thread