SR1911 Talo Night Watchman Initial Review - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-31-2014, 03:51 PM

I'll have to check when I get home. I use MO Bullet Co SWCs and this is the first gun I've used that has not feed them. I'm hoping that things need to smooth out with the gun first.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 12-31-2014, 04:16 PM

Steel cased ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I'll have to check when I get home. I use MO Bullet Co SWCs and this is the first gun I've used that has not feed them. I'm hoping that things need to smooth out with the gun first.
Try running some Tullammo through it. See if that helps smooth things out!
Old 12-31-2014, 04:40 PM

Weather permitting, I'm going to head to the range tomorrow and give it a workout.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2015, 05:22 PM

So I rang in the new year with a trip to the gun range at about 9AM this morning! I only took the Night Watchman and 300 rounds of ammo. I cleaned and relubed the gun before heading out to the range.

I continued to have the FTF malfunctions which I believe are called 3-point jams. Towards the end of the session, I noticed that the malfunctions were decreasing, but I was still average 1 or 2 per mag. The Ruger factory mag that came with the gun would rarely have an FTF though. I thinking that some additional break in might help cure this problem. But have I have several Mec Gar mags that I have never had any problems with and they seemed to have the highest rate of FTFs with this Ruger.

Another thing I noticed is that the recoil spring might be a little light. I was throwing brass into the next county. Much further than my 10mms throw their brass. I'm wondering if a stiffer recoil spring would have more power to chamber the rounds instead of causing a 3 point jam.

Other than the FTFs and throwing brass excessively far, I had no other problems with the gun. It shot very well and accuracy was very good. I shot from a rest also and noticed that the gun shoots left, so I'll need to drift the rear sight a little bit. The trigger is still heavier than I like, but I loaned my gauge out so I can't check it right now after a good range session under it's belt. I'll try to keep updating as it progresses since this is still a fairly new model without a lot of info on the forums.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 01-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the update. Hope the weather wasn't too bad. I wouldn't drift the sights just yet. Wait and see of the trigger gets a bit softer. You might be inadvertently pushing the gun with the heavy trigger pull. On me SR1911CMD, the brass is tossed in every direction. One shot it'll go to the side and back, next shot it'll go forward, then after that it might go directly behind me. It has no consistency in ejecting the spent casings for me. I am unsure of a fix to this, but I will be waiting until I have 700-1000 rounds down the pipe before extensively researching this.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:38 PM

Randomly throwing brass in all directions is usually an improperly tuned extractor. Easy DIY fix and there are a lot of YouTube videos with instructions.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 01-01-2015, 07:12 PM

Thank you, I'll look into that.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:13 PM

I got a shipping label from Ruger for my NW commander but after thinking it over took it to local smith instead. My fix-it list was...
1. Get trigger pull down to a clean breaking 4 1/2 lbs. or so.
2. Get safety operation down to a crisp on/off. Very mushy and soft as delivered.
3. Check extractor. Hopefully the spent cases will land in the same zip code.
4. Fine tune the fit on an Ed Brown "drop in" barrel bushing I tried. The .699" O.D. and .581" I.D. bushing gave a definite improvement in accuracy but there was a little bit of barrel springing. Factory bushing was loose in the slide (.697") and very loose on barrel at .585".
Maybe I should have given Ruger a chance to make it right but when this smith gets done with it the gun will be right. I've been a Ruger fan for 40+ years but this one (ordered) was somewhat of a disappointment.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:11 PM

I'll have to agree that mine was a bit of a disappointment also, considering the price. At the price of the normal SR1911, it would have a good deal. But I expect more for a gun at this price.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 11-11-2015, 08:39 PM

This is an old thread, but I just recently got a Talo SR1911, so I am following these discussions with interest. I have maybe 50 rounds of FMJ through mine, and it has performed perfectly.

Note, my experience is November 2015, so maybe things changed a bit in production.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 AM

I went to my LGS and saw the Talo Ruger 1911. man, I fell in love with it. The price (IMO) was very reasonable. The gun was tagged at 769.00. I got it for 719.00. I put 200.00 down and will go back next week and finish paying for it and bring it home. This has got be one of the nicest guns I have seen in quite a while. The black finish, night sights, and the rest of the accumments look fantastic. This will be my "BBQ" gun. Will post some pictures after I get the gun home.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsolar View Post
I went to my LGS and saw the Talo Ruger 1911. man, I fell in love with it. The price (IMO) was very reasonable. The gun was tagged at 769.00. I got it for 719.00. I put 200.00 down and will go back next week and finish paying for it and bring it home. This has got be one of the nicest guns I have seen in quite a while. The black finish, night sights, and the rest of the accumments look fantastic. This will be my "BBQ" gun. Will post some pictures after I get the gun home.
Have you picked it up yet??
Old 02-26-2016, 08:27 PM

NW issues

I got mine last May (Steel CMD) and it has been superb! It's accurate, shoots great, and has fed everything I've put through it so far with the exception of some of my reloads with too much case mouth flare. Mine had a pretty nice trigger right out of the box and everyone that shoots it comments on how nice the trigger is. I recently did a complete disassembly of the gun and polished/smoothed everything up and that trigger is even sweeter. I don't have a trigger pull guage but I'm guessing my trigger is around 4.5 lbs. Anyway, I've been completely pleased with mine and will be interested to what you think of yours once you pick it up. Maybe the problems associated with the earlier ones have been worked out by now. I will have to say that my first one was the all SS CMD and it had a lousy trigger, terrible mushy safety, rattly (is that even a word?) grip safety, terrible burrs on various points of both the frame and slide, and on top of all of that, I couldn't hit anything with it. I took it back to the LGS and traded it for my NW and now I couldn't be happier. I paid $650 for the SS CMD and the NW was $750 and since I wasn't happy with my original CMD (I pointed out to them the issues listed above) they just traded me for the difference.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:34 PM

I don't have a night watchman but I have a full size and commander.

Both are fantastic 1911's and I have had many.

The trigger on both of mine are perfect with a great reset.

The fit and finish is superb.

Accuracy it wonderful as well.

There is nothing not to like.

I have a new Sig Sauer 1911R SSS and it is very comparable to fit, finish, function and accuracy.

If the grip safety is loose just stretch out the finger on the sear spring to stop the rattle...it's an easy fix.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:51 PM

I'm thinking about getting one in the SS or the LW Commander.
Luke 22:36
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:26 PM

I looked at the railed Talo version and loved it. Only thing that made me put it back was the fact barrel was sitting with the lower lug not fitted and I could push the barrel down.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:17 AM

Picked it up a day later. So far I haven't taken the time out to go shoot it. I have a couple others that have been shot. My Colt 70 series (re-issue), Sig GSR Revolution and the Citadel 1911 (FS) in 9MM have all been shot at least a couple hundred rounds. All have shot very well.

Guns that I own, other than the above mentioned: 1. Remington R1 2. Springfield Loaded 3. Smith and Wesson 1911 4. 1943 Ithaca 1911 A1 5. 1933 Colt Commercial 1911 A1 6. 1948 Argentina 1911. The last 3 are my pride and joy. Would not give them up for love or money, ( I got the last 3 fairly cheap).

Last edited by cjsolar; 03-21-2016 at 03:17 AM. Reason: left out a word