Your Duty 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM

Your Duty 1911

I was wondering If you upgraded any of the parts ( ie trigger mech, hammer, beaver tail etc) before you started to carry it, or is it stock?
WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Please remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.. JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN SOLDIER. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM

I carry completely stock and only throw parts at a gun during rebuild.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 PM

Only part changed on mine was the grips...

--Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Find the gun that has the options you want in factory trim, and leave it be. The only things I would consider adding would be different grips to make it fit your hand better, and possibly a magwell to facilitate faster reloads...but even then I'd try to find one that comes stock with a magwell or have it installed at the factory as an option.

Other than that, the FCG should be left alone completely until you have a reason to have someone mess with it (ie, rebuild or troubleshooting).

Edit: Smitty, that is one fine looking Springer!

"We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless." - Jeff Snyder
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM

Technically mine is factory, I guess. My Springfield Loaded had a pretty severe slide to frame fit issue when I got it. I returned it to Springfield without ever having fired it and included a letter explaining that I had purchased the gun for duty carry and that I wanted them to go through it to assure proper function and reliability, I didn't want any more surprises.

Well, I did get one more surprise - not only did they replace the slide, they also gutted it and replaced the barrel, bushing, and internals with TRP parts. They handfitted everything and did an action job. It was returned to me exactly two weeks after I sent it and I've carried it since. It functions 100%, I've never had a failure or stoppage of any sort after several thousand rounds, it feeds any ammo I put in it, it is very accurate, and has a clean, crisp 4.5lb trigger. And they covered it all under warranty. The only change I've made is to replace the grips, though I'll probably change the sights to a Novak bead front and a 10-8 rear.

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 03-30-2012, 11:37 AM

I run a Kimber Classic LE stainless for duty. I don't have any internal mods. The mods I have done include a mag well, an extended mag release, an Ed Brown bushing and grips.

I have everything I need, nothing I don't.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Stock Ed Brown Kobra Stainless.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM

Mines stock except for a Smith and Alexander mag well I added. Its a Les Baer Concept 6.

www.jsggunleather.doodlekit.com
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM

I have the MC Operator. I had original Gunner Grips on it for a long time before I installed a S&A Magwell on it. Switched out to the 10-8 grips.

Being a southpaw I also swapped out the mag release for a 10-8 extended release and since I was there switched out to the 10-8 flat trigger. Such a huge difference with that trigger.

I'm planning on swapping out the ambi-safety for an extended safety again since I'm a lefty and the gun is going on 10 years old now and the factory night sights are almost nil so I need to get those changed out. Contemplating the 10-8 rear sight and a new night sight for the front but I'm not 100% yet.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM

I run a Kimber Dessert Warrior, which only has an Ed Brown magwell and 10-8 grips and surefire x300. Other than that it's all stock. I think I might be switching to the Springfield MC Operator though due to recent problems with the Kimber. If I do the only thing I will change is add 10-8 grips and a magwell.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM

Stock Colt Rail Gun, with X200 light.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:02 PM

All parts are stock (except for replacement recoil springs) and grips of course. Put on a Brown magwell and mainspring housing.

Use the Surefire rail and light for certain operations. Usually in plainclothes so it's carried most of the time in it's standard configuration.

Life is too short to carry ugly guns.

Sometimes there's Justice. Sometimes there's just us.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:19 AM

I carry a Kimber Warrior for off duty. I changed a few things out to make it a two tone really. Safety, mag release, beaver tail etc. they are all stainless now.
As far as internal goes, the firing pin is a Wilson Combat.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 AM

@ dtmack
just curious. what problems are you having with your Kimber? I carry a Kimber Warrior on duty and have had no problems. We use Federal Hydro Shok 230 gr
Old 04-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Kimber Custom II for duty with only grips and a magwell added.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 PM

Stock + Pachmyr grips = done deal.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:08 PM

My SWAT pistol, Sig Scorpion 1911, is all stock, I wanted to change the trigger and hammer to all black, as they come in silver, but after feeling how nice the trigger is I believe I will leave it be. Why mess with perfection?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 AM

Springfield full size loaded , no mods. (off duty) with chip Mc cormick mags. 100% with any ammo .
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 PM

Springfield GI customized by SACS. Beavertail, S&A magwell, retro rear sight, gold bead front, 10-8 flat trigger, match bushing, and Wilson slide stop/safety. Shoots good but I regret asking for the gold bead sight.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:58 AM

When I was at the NRA match in 2010, I saw the police in Albuquerque police toting 1911 , are they still doing that ? does any know ?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 AM

ON DUTY: Stock Ed Brown Special Forces with VZ Operator II grips, back up gun is a stock Kimber Ultra Carry II with Hogue grips.

OFF DUTY Kimber Pro Carry (built somewhere in the 90's) VZ Operator II grips, refinished in BLACK T, all Wilson Combat springs and Ed Brown (stainless): mainspring housing, grip safety, safety, and slide stop. My attempt at two tone. Waiting for a Wilson Combat "drop in" stainless barrel.

Or

Kimber Ultra CDP stock.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 AM

Mine is getting upgraded with night sights, checkered front strap, new grips, a single sided safety at my request, plus everything gone over and refitted for duty use. I could have used it as it was, but I wanted more from my Colt.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:28 AM

I carry a SA LW Operator with VZ Operator II grips, wilson combat mag chute, and a Caspian flat trigger in a Blackhawk serpa 3 holster with a ziphos light. I carry it loaded with a 10 round WC magazine with 4 WC 10 rounders on my duty belt.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:06 AM

movement 2 contact

My warrior ran very good for about one year. I started to have returning to battery problems. The warrior would be about 1/4 inch away from returning to battery after about every other round fired. Tried adjusting extractor but did not help. Got tired of messing with it and bought a MC Operator.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmack View Post
movement 2 contact

My warrior ran very good for about one year. I started to have returning to battery problems. The warrior would be about 1/4 inch away from returning to battery after about every other round fired. Tried adjusting extractor but did not help. Got tired of messing with it and bought a MC Operator.
My Colt did that same thing when I first got it. What I found for future reference is the barrel link had just enough side to side play, where the barrel intermediately would have enough play the hood caught the slide on lock-up. It actually burred the edge of the barrel hood ever so slightly. I took a flat file and knocked off the bur and presto, it was operational without the issue.

Now my Colt is at the custom shop getting the works as far as fitting. I'm getting a whole new slide and everything. Hopefully someday when it comes home, it will be operating like a singer sewing machine... smooth as silk.