Would you trade the Spartan/Trojan for the other? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 AM

Would you trade the Spartan/Trojan for the other?

If you have a Trojan do you think a Spartan would've been the better choice price wise as a pure game gun?

And if you have a Spartan would the extra $300 or so for the Trojan have been better for your idpa or uspsa needs?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:28 AM

I bought the Trojan with the enhancements from Brazos.

I've been very happy with mine and no, I wouldn't have bought the Spartan unless money was a big issue.

I shoot a lot, the cost of the gun is not very much considering the cost of reloading components. I spent more on traveling expenses going to matches this year than I did on the Trojan.

From the feedback I've seen, if I didn't have a gun, and didn't have much money, I'd buy the Spartan. Dawson Precision is making a "game-ready" Spartan that I would look into.

I tend not to nickle and dime myself on a gun. Get the best you can afford, then realize if you are going to be good at this game, you're going to need a lot of ammo and plan for getting the ammo.

Last edited by BillD; 12-20-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:52 AM

Thanks. I have all the reloading ammo in the world so that's one issue out of the way.

Reason I asked is cuz my STI Spartan gets delivered in a few hours. Lots of great into on this forum and from a Spartan owner who has been gracious enough to PM with his gun setup.

But my friend wants to buy my Spartan today, and since I got a screaming deal he's willing to pay me a little more. I was going to put a magwell and some different grips and a thinner f/o front sight. Then the game-ready Trojan or Spartan came to mind. I don't need the front strap checkering on the Trojan since I think it's lacking and grip tape would be pennies on the dollar. As for a game gun I am basically looking for reasons to get the Trojan or up-spec Spartan from the likes of Brazos for what would be $400 more than my stock Spartan.

Just thinking. That's all. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Hello: Dawson Precision is offering a chromed Spartan for $1100 or so with there upgrades. I like the Spartan 45 I have alot. If you want a 40 then you will have to go the Trojan route or? The Spartan is hard to beat for the money. You can build it up and grind on it without any worries. I undercut the trigger gaurd and I will be checkering the front strap soon. Thanks, Eric
Old 12-20-2010, 03:01 PM

Ah, that was my next question. New thread time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircooled6racer View Post
You can build it up and grind on it without any worries. I undercut the trigger gaurd and I will be checkering the front strap soon. Thanks, Eric
Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM

Undercutting the Spartan trigger guard

I think I'll keep the Spartan and make it a project gun, too.

Last edited by YamaLink; 12-20-2010 at 03:06 PM.