shooting glasses for aging eyes - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-13-2016, 11:09 AM

shooting glasses for aging eyes

I figure I would post this in here as maybe some of you are dealing with this. I am having trouble picking up the front sight. I have gold bead, and fiber optics and still fuzzing out.

Is there an option similar to reading glasses, for example X 2 power in shooting glasses, non-prescriptive? Curious as if I put my reading glasses on, sight is crystal clear.

I did search and found the topic, but seems there is no perfect solution. Going to a "shooting friendly" optometrist seems to be a viable route.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dms888; 02-13-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:21 AM

I had my optometrist make me a pair. You know how on "bi-focals" the magnified part is on the bottom? He reversed it so a small magnified spot is on the top. Works like a charm
Old 02-13-2016, 11:35 AM

I had a pair of shooting glasses made with a bifocal on the upper right lens adjusted to my front sight. I shoot both eyes open and works great for punching a paper target. Not so good with multiple targets, shooting quickly. May be because my upper left does not have that and I'm looking through two different prescriptions.

My next pair will probably be just one lens in the right that is adjusted further out than my front sight, so the front sight is pretty good but so I can see the 3" bull at 50' or 25 yards a little clearer than now as it is just kind of a black blur now.

Multiple targets shooting quickly, I stick with my normal prescription.

Fun getting old.

NRA Patron Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2016, 01:03 PM

DMS888,

I have the same problem. My solution was to go to the drugstore pharmacy and buy a set of over the counter reading glasses - the kind where the entire lens is set up for reading, not just the lower half. Before you go, figure out how far in front of your closed fist your front sight will be and make a stick or piece of cardboard with a suitable "front sight" projection at the end. This will give you something to test your focus on. And you won't have to whip out your Roscoe at the drug store.

Try the various reading lens powers until you get one where you can clearly see the front sight, using something in the store at an appropriate distance for the "target". Once you know what power you need, you can go on Amazon or eBay and find a set of reading glasses (if the drug store doesn't have what you want) that will also work as a good set of safety/shooting glasses. You can get tinted lenses for outdoors use too.

The other good thing is they're cheap and you can afford to buy more than one set.

Another solution, once you know what lens power you need, it to go on Midway or Brownells and get a set of stick-on adaptors that fit on regular sunglasses or safety glasses. They are stick-on plastic lenses that you can place anywhere you want on you shooting glasses to best correct your vision for shooting, reading or close up work like making fishing lures. A friend of mine uses this method and likes them.

Good Luck! Getting old is a PITA.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 02-13-2016, 01:48 PM

BULLSEYE SHOOTERS' GUIDE FOR THE EYECARE PROFESSIONAL back to Topics List

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms888 View Post
I figure I would post this in here as maybe some of you are dealing with this. I am having trouble picking up the front sight. I have gold bead, and fiber optics and still fuzzing out.

Is there an option similar to reading glasses, for example X 2 power in shooting glasses, non-prescriptive? Curious as if I put my reading glasses on, sight is crystal clear.

I did search and found the topic, but seems there is no perfect solution. Going to a "shooting friendly" optometrist seems to be a viable route.

Thanks in advance.
Find a shooter friendly optometrist and provide him/her a copy of BULLSEYE SHOOTERS' GUIDE FOR THE EYECARE PROFESSIONAL, found at http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/.../eyeguide.html

Then get a prescription for shooting glasses.
Distinguished Pistol Shot #1157
Distinguished Revolver #75
Old 02-13-2016, 02:19 PM

I had my optometrist give me the RX for my dominant eye to be at front sight distance and my other eye for distance.

Then I had a set of lenses made for a Wiley-X RX insert and use them behind my shooting glasses.

While not perfect and they do take some time to get used to, they've been a good compromise. I like that I can move them between different pairs of Wiley-X's so that I can change the shooting glass 'tint' for different lighting conditions.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:21 PM

Ditto on the reading glasses, believe mine is 1.5 mag, try to get the glass not plastic lens.
My prescription lenses cause me all kinds of range probs,
Gene
Old 02-13-2016, 02:41 PM

My wife uses Rudy Project glasses with an Rx insert at 1.75 diopter (she only needs reading glasses). The insert is frameless so you really don't know it's there. I use a prescription Rx insert for cycling. For shooting I just had prescription lenses made for focus at the front sight distance (both eyes), but shooting steel challenge I don't need clear distance vision at all.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:35 PM

THey do make bi focal safety glasses ya know......

http://www.amazon.com/Elvex-Bifocal-.../dp/B00LUA91KO
Old 02-13-2016, 08:47 PM

On the pistol range simple one diopter reading glasses bring the front sight into crystal clarity. I just shoot center of fuzz.

But 50 to 100 yards on the rifle range with iron sights (Winchester 1894) I don't use any glasses at all.
Just line up the two fuzzies as best I can and let it loose.
I'm not grouping like I did as a kid, but I'm staying on the paper.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:09 AM

shooting with aging eyes.....

Going to an eye doctor is never a bad option, but for finding the correct diopter for visual clarity of your front sight for handgun shooting, it really isn't necessary.

The human eye can only focus on one object at a time, so no matter what lens you end up with, you want the front sight to be in clear focus, the target will be slightly blurry, and the back sight may be slightly blurry but not as much.

My methodology was very simple and inexpensive, and I have no problem seeing a clear sight picture fro competitive shooting.

I went to the Dollar Store, and purchased 5 pairs of reading glasses with different diopters to find out which provided the best and distinctly clear front sight picture. I purchased a 1.0, 1,25, 1.5, 1.75, and a 2.0 diopter. I went home and standing outside in my back yard, I tried each pair with my normal shooting stance......at the time, I needed a 1.5 diopter, I saved the remaining reading glasses, and spent a total of $5. I then went on a web site for safety glasses.

I purchased a set of full 1.5 diopter magnifier clear safety glasses on-line from Safetyglassesusa.com. They are called the Elvex RX500, and feature a full-lens ballistic rated magnifier in a wraparound polycarbonate lens. These are offered in various diopters from .5 diopter and up. The cost was under $10 each.....see the attached link:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf85.html

The above glasses are not bi-focal. The center of each lens has a diopter magnifier that is a full circle that covers the complete lens. I use these for competitive shooting with excellent results.

You may want to read a thread under "Training Talk & Events" in this Forum, with the title "vision issues/glasses." You may find this helpful.

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 02-14-2016 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post

I purchased a set of full 1.5 diopter magnifier clear safety glasses on-line from Safetyglassesusa.com. They are called the Elvex RX500, and feature a full-lens ballistic rated magnifier in a wraparound polycarbonate lens. These are offered in various diopters from .5 diopter and up. The cost was under $10 each.....see the attached link:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf85.html

The above glasses are not bi-focal. The center of each lens has a diopter magnifier that is a full circle that covers the complete lens. I use these for competitive shooting with excellent results.

You may want to read a thread under "Training Talk & Events" in this Forum, with the title "vision issues/glasses." You may find this helpful.
Thanks for the link! Ordered myself a couple to try out.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:07 PM

Like techiede44, I had my optometrist make me a pair of glasses specifically for shooting. I took my gun in (it scared the crap out of him even though it was in a case and when I took it out I made sure to show him that it was unloaded!) and told him I wanted to hold it in a shooting position and have him make me a lens for my dominant eye (left eye dominant, right hand shooter). I wanted the front sight crystal clear - told him I didn't care if everything else was a total blur, but the front sight had to be razor sharp. Not being a shooter, he had no idea why I wanted that, but he did what I asked. The right, non-dominant eye has a lens made for distance. It works very well except that my brain sometimes tries to switch to my non-dominant eye to see the target clearly since that's what I'm shooting. As long as I can resist that and allow the dominant eye to do it's job, I shoot fairly well! When I was young I had 20/15 vision... getting old sucks!
Old 02-17-2016, 10:11 AM

i use reading glasses to shoot competitively. about 1/2 the power I normally use for reading works for me.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:22 AM

I wear bifocals. The optometrist understood the problem. My shooting glasses are not bifocals. They have the same prescription as the upper lens of my bifocals on the left and a different prescription on the right side that allows me to focus on my front sight. When I get to the match it takes a few minutes for my eyes to adjust, then I'm good to go. I had bifocals and shooting glasses made with the same frame during a two-for-one sale. They are safety glasses and come with side shields which I wear during Steel Challenge matches because I seem to be a lead magnet during those shoots and when not on the line I don't always face directly downrange.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenL4 View Post
I wear bifocals. The optometrist understood the problem. My shooting glasses are not bifocals. They have the same prescription as the upper lens of my bifocals on the left and a different prescription on the right side that allows me to focus on my front sight. When I get to the match it takes a few minutes for my eyes to adjust, then I'm good to go. I had bifocals and shooting glasses made with the same frame during a two-for-one sale. They are safety glasses and come with side shields which I wear during Steel Challenge matches because I seem to be a lead magnet during those shoots and when not on the line I don't always face directly downrange.
Do you have any issues with shooting fast multiple targets with that set up? I've had some issues with mine (upper right bifocal) and shooting both eyes open seeing extra targets, kind of like double vision that I've never had with my regular glasses.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-19-2016, 03:40 PM

Dr Norman Wong a fellow Navy Team shooter has the best information I've been able to find.

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html
Distinguished Pistol #388
Old 02-23-2016, 03:55 PM

I'll post a different viewpoint. 10 years ago I tried pretty much everything mentioned previously, including 2 or 3 pairs of optometrist glasses with the different corrections on various parts of the right lens. Got pretty expensive. I never found anything I really liked. And I've tried front sights with gold dots, white dots, etc, and never really liked them.

About 15 years ago I started wearing progressive lens glasses, with the higher magnification reading section in the lower part of the lens and progressing upward to little correction for distance. Adjusting your head tilt helps to focus on front sight and target. I came to realize that I should learn to shoot with these progressive lenses that I wear everyday because, if I ever needed to actually use my pistol, it would be with me wearing my everyday glasses. I don't shoot as well as I did 30 or 40 years ago when I didn't need glasses, but heck, nothing else works as good either (except the body part that fits in a chair).
Old 02-23-2016, 05:07 PM

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I'll post a different viewpoint. 10 years ago I tried pretty much everything mentioned previously, including 2 or 3 pairs of optometrist glasses with the different corrections on various parts of the right lens. Got pretty expensive. I never found anything I really liked. And I've tried front sights with gold dots, white dots, etc, and never really liked them.

About 15 years ago I started wearing progressive lens glasses, with the higher magnification reading section in the lower part of the lens and progressing upward to little correction for distance. Adjusting your head tilt helps to focus on front sight and target. I came to realize that I should learn to shoot with these progressive lenses that I wear everyday because, if I ever needed to actually use my pistol, it would be with me wearing my everyday glasses. I don't shoot as well as I did 30 or 40 years ago when I didn't need glasses, but heck, nothing else works as good either (except the body part that fits in a chair).
I have the exact same issue. I tried all the reader powers today, no luck. if I tilt my head back and look through the bottom of my progressives, I can make the front sight sharp. my only issue it's just not comfortable. I have an eye exam coming up. I may take an old pair of glasses and have him make a right lens for it....
Old 02-24-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzsaw1125 View Post
I have the exact same issue. I tried all the reader powers today, no luck. if I tilt my head back and look through the bottom of my progressives, I can make the front sight sharp. my only issue it's just not comfortable. I have an eye exam coming up. I may take an old pair of glasses and have him make a right lens for it....
I have the same exact issue. Neck cramps from keeping my head tilted upwards to see out of the very bottom of my glasses. I just got in 2 pairs of the safety glasses Rwehavinfunyet linked and I'm impressed so far. Can't see target very well, but as long as I'm not bullseye shooting should work decent.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:57 PM

Like my father before me, I had cataracts come up on my eyes about five years ago. I am a photographer by trade, so my eyes make my living for me. After lots of research, I went to Key/Whitman Eye Clinic in Plano TX and had Dr. Beverly Warren do "Crystal Lens implants". I gave up being able to read the back of an aspirin box six inches from my face, but now, everything is sharp from about 12 inches to infinity with my natural focus point about where my front sight is. AWESOME. Unfortunately, insurance doesn't cover that particular surgery. Moving my head up and down like a yo-yo to see thru glasses drove me nuts
Old 02-24-2016, 06:18 PM

I started having problem picking up my front sight when I turned fourty. Went to the eye doc and told him I couldn't focus on my front sight and he put me in progressive no line. I just hold the pistol up and move my head till I find the front sight. They work on my rifle too.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:21 PM

You can get on E-bay and find a diopter that clips onto your regular eyeglasses like a set of flip-up sun glasses. With this option your astigmatism is corrected by your regular glasses and the entire lens is covered by the power of the diopter you choose. Price is $10.00 to $15.00
Old 03-05-2016, 02:14 AM

Hi there I shoot IPSC in classic div I tried the glasses thing but had trouble with "blur" when running my optician suggested using a contact lense in my dominant eye after I visited him with my pistol to measure the correct set up off my front sight to eye dimension.. After inserting the lense approx 30min prior to shooting and giving it time to adjust and my brain to reset .. I can shoot all day with no issues and have a crystal cleat sight picture and great target picture due to the mix of a contact in my dominant eye and nothing in my other which has 20/20 perception .. Overall this has helped me get back in the game and my scores to improve tremendously
I normally use glasses for reading computer work and fine precision tasks ..
The advantage is this process using disposable one use contacts is very cheap ..
Old 03-05-2016, 09:57 AM

I'm having the same issues,,,I bought some safety glasses with the bi-focal at the top of the lens, apparently use by workers that work overhead.