Decisions about which 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 PM

Decisions about which 1911

So, I went and checked out some 1911's today since its become time for me to get my first pistol.

I'm torn between the following four models and was looking for input

Para PCX745S
Springfield PX9116LP
Taurus 1911ALR (with rail)
Taurus 1911SS-BHW (with rail)

All the guns are similarly priced, and all feel excellent in my hand.

I plan on carrying this pistol with me primarily when I bow hunt (just in case I need to exterminate a pig or two), so aesthetics are not that important to me. I liked the alloy Taurus due to the light weight, but I'm not sure if the lighter materials will lessen the life of the gun.

I like the Tauruses the most (extra's and pricing) but I'm not sure how I feel about owning a Taurus (I've had people tell me that their 1911 Tauruses are amazing, and I've had others tell me to avoid Taurus altogether).

The Para felt good as well, and I've heard from friends that the Para's are incredibly nice guns and that I should probably go with it.

Right now I'm just tire kicking, I probably won't buy for another few weeks, I'm just looking for suggestions.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:07 AM

I own none of these so I don't have a dog in this fight.

From what you listed, get the Springfield.

Been in the 1911 game a while (unlike Taurus). And makes a good base gun (unlike Para), should you want to customise at a later date.

Nothing against Taurus. I like a lot of their products. But they have been having some teething problems with their 1911s. Maybe not the one you get, but why risk it?

Regards,
Greyson
Old 03-21-2009, 12:24 AM

Of the guns you listed I would only own a Springfield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 12:36 AM

Springer
Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 AM

Springer is arguably THE go-to gun when it comes to entry-level/base model guns. Well known company with excellent customer service that any smith will work on.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:50 AM

+1 on the springfield.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:13 AM

I'm going to buck the trend here and recommend Springfield.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:34 AM

It's been said already but hands down the Springfield is the one to get. Good luck

Semper Fi

Tim
Old 03-21-2009, 06:01 AM

Para is shiny, so no
Springfield, I like SA, but I've heard that the aluminum frames of the lightweight operator will crack on you after a while. But from what I hear it's A LOT of firing, meaning it'll be like more than 10 years unless you compete. Not sure if this is true, but that would worry me. I would stick with a regular Operator with the forged slide and frame. I have one, the MC Operator, love it. Accurate, and has never malfunctioned once.
And the Taurus', I personally don't trust them. Have personally seen several of them fail on the first trip to the range. And when I say fail, I don't mean jam or malfunction, I mean something actually breaks to where they need to be sent back to Taurus... Of course some people will fire 2000 rounds out of it without a problem, but a lot of people won't go through 100 without a problem. So if you're willing to take the risk, then roll the dice and get one, they're the cheapest for the features.

But ultimately out of that list, Springfield will be my first choice, but my real recommendation is for a MC Operator or another Springfield with a forged frame and slide.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:07 AM

Since you stated it will be primarily a hunting backup gun, I'd be looking at revolvers instead. If you still want one, than any of the pistols you mentioned would be ok except the Para. Para does not come with a limited life-time warranty. I own both Taurus & Springfield 1911's & both are reliable & great shooters........
Old 03-21-2009, 06:20 AM

springer

...I coudn't get rid of my para fast enough...
Old 03-21-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC350 View Post
Since you stated it will be primarily a hunting backup gun, I'd be looking at revolvers instead. If you still want one, than any of the pistols you mentioned would be ok except the Para. Para does not come with a limited life-time warranty. I own both Taurus & Springfield 1911's & both are reliable & great shooters........
I agree on this one. A revolver makes a better backup hunting gun. If you have your heart set on an auto then at least get a 10mm.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:07 AM

Don't be afraid of the Taurus. The PT1911 is a great pistol. Springfield's are good, too. Look closely at either one of these.

Last edited by kansas45; 03-21-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Of the ones you listed, a Springfield.

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney
Old 03-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC350 View Post
Since you stated it will be primarily a hunting backup gun, I'd be looking at revolvers instead.
Why revolver?

Just curious, I went instinctively with 1911 because of the way they fit me, and the fact that I am typically a better shot with a semi than I am with revolvers.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlockinz View Post
Why revolver?

Just curious, I went instinctively with 1911 because of the way they fit me, and the fact that I am typically a better shot with a semi than I am with revolvers.
revolver is a no brainer if this will be your first handgun whereas a 1911 most likely would require some mechanical knowhow to make it run reliably and smoothly. Owning a 1911 is similar to an old Harley...you need to tinker with it.
Springer is the better choice here for obvious reasons.

Last edited by zdragon52; 03-21-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:38 AM

I know that PA hunting laws prohibit carrying an autoloader in the woods (which I think is preposterous) but it's something you may want to look into before buying.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Taurus 1911ALR (with rail)
Taurus 1911SS-BHW (with rail)
I hope I'm not opening a can of worms when I say I don't understand why you would want (much less need) a rail for this type of gun. I understand the need for a rail in a competition gun (helps mount optics) or maybe a home-defense gun (easy to mount a tactical light). But it makes little sense for a gun that's going to be carried. You'll greatly limit your selection of holsters, as most concealment rigs are designed around regular 1911's.

By adding a rail, you'll be increasing thickness and bulk plus reducing your holster choices. What's the gain?
"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crime." -- Cesare Beccaria
Old 03-21-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanEvo View Post
I hope I'm not opening a can of worms when I say I don't understand why you would want (much less need) a rail for this type of gun. I understand the need for a rail in a competition gun (helps mount optics) or maybe a home-defense gun (easy to mount a tactical light). But it makes little sense for a gun that's going to be carried. You'll greatly limit your selection of holsters, as most concealment rigs are designed around regular 1911's.

By adding a rail, you'll be increasing thickness and bulk plus reducing your holster choices. What's the gain?
Its just what they had in stock, nothing other than that
Old 03-21-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
revolver is a no brainer if this will be your first handgun whereas a 1911 most likely would require some mechanical knowhow to make it run reliably and smoothly. Owning a 1911 is similar to an old Harley...you need to tinker with it.
Springer is the better choice here for obvious reasons.

I'm a tinkerer to begin with (its why I own older cars, and it lets me be an engineer while not at work). So, I'm not worried about the mechanics of it. While this will be the first handgun that I actually own, it won't be the first one that I've used/messed with (two other revolvers and one .380, but those belong to my dad and he's not letting them go)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon1911 View Post
I know that PA hunting laws prohibit carrying an autoloader in the woods (which I think is preposterous) but it's something you may want to look into before buying.
In OK its no longer an issue. I might be able to have it on my person whilst in the deer stand, but everywhere else I should be fine
Old 03-21-2009, 06:25 PM

Welp, went back and looked at some more today.

For a 1911 I think it comes down to a springfield loaded (px9109lp) [$740] or the taurus 1911B [$590]. The steel alloy Taurus is still in the running, I just am shying away from it since it has a rail (maybe get a stainless instead at that point, same cost, both have the rail [$690]).

I like the SA a lot, it feels good, looks good, and its made by SA. The Tauruses feel just as good, and I'm trying to figure out which to go for. I've had a lot of people tell me that the Taurus is a great gun (including the shop), but I've heard that if I'm willing to spend the $, then get the SA loaded since it has the American steel.

I looked at an XD in .45acp, and the double action just didn't feel right. Looks like so far the consensus on this forum is for the springfield. The local shop seems to like the taurus and springfields, they shied me away from the kimbers.

I think that I'm leaning towards the springfield if I can afford it.

Any last thoughts?

Last edited by schlockinz; 03-21-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:48 PM

Go for the springfield, I have no experience with the Tauras 1911 so I can't say if they are good or bad guns in general but, I can tell you that the customer service of Tauras sucks a big fat one, and compared to Springfields C.S., Tauras sucks the biggest fattest one of all.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYSW1911Sc View Post
Go for the springfield, I have no experience with the Tauras 1911 so I can't say if they are good or bad guns in general but, I can tell you that the customer service of Tauras sucks a big fat one, and compared to Springfields C.S., Tauras sucks the biggest fattest one of all.
Thats kinda what I'm hearing.

So, is the loaded with American steel worth the $150 more than just a mil spec?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Thats kinda what I'm hearing.

So, is the loaded with American steel worth the $150 more than just a mil spec?
I have everything from a SA Milspec up to Wilsons & Browns. Throw a few colts and kimbers in the middle. I think you would be well served with the Milspec or the loaded.

If I were you, I would look at the DW CBOB for a couple hundred more.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Looks like so far the consensus on this forum is for the springfield. The local shop seems to like the taurus and springfields, they shied me away from the kimbers.

I think that I'm leaning towards the springfield if I can afford it.

Any last thoughts?
i'd shoot a kimber first before pulling the trigger on a Springer if i was you.