1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Administrator

.22 squibs while at the range

I went to the local indoor range during my lunch break today armed with a pair of .22s, a Colt with a Ceiner conversion and the Ruger 10/22 my dad bought me for Christmas way back in 1985. He just passed away so I wanted to give a quick "21 gun" salute to him with the Ruger, as well as get back into shooting rimfires. Three mags loaded with seven rounds of CCI Stingers each did the trick (yes I shot at paper, not into the ceiling). Afterwards I then began to try using up some old .22 ammo I've had lying around for probably ten years or more. I loaded up some Remington Yellow Jackets, took aim, and "click". I figured it was a misfire, so I waited a few seconds then retracted the bolt. An empty case came out. I immediately knew it had to be a squib so I set aside both the Ruger and that box of ammo, and loaded up the Colt/Ceiner instead with some more Stingers. Took aim, another "click". Pulled back the slide, and yes another empty case came out! Great, two squibs in a row KO'd my range session in a matter of minutes. I went back outside into the lobby, and fortunately one of the rangemasters had a cleaning rod handy and poked the bullets out of each barrel. I was back in action, so I went back into the range and finished up with a couple boxes of reasonably fresh CCI Mini-Mags out of both the rifle and the pistol.

The lesson learned here is to NEVER trust old rimfire ammo, especially if it's for self-defense! The ammo had been stored in reasonably cool and dry locations, but apparently here in WA there's enough moisture that simply keeping it in a cool basement isn't enough. Then again, it could also have been a rare coincidence that I had two squibs in a row with two different brands of ammo. I left the suspect boxes with the guys at the range so I'm not going to risk anything to find out if there were any more bad ones.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:53 PM

Thank you for the good information and I am glad you wer not hurt. I have been shooting for about 10 years and have atleast 50,000 rounds of shooting under my belt but have in that time only had one squib. It was from a box of Remington .22. I can't remember the type but it came from Wally World in a bulk pack of 325? It had a pict of running rabbits and other varmits on the green box. About 15 miniutes into my session the hammer fell on my MKII and nothing happened. I went to eject the "dud" and out came the case along with a whisp of white smoke. I let the slide fall, chambering another round and then it hit me.

Taking down the MKII is no easy feat in the comfort of your own home much less in the field but I tore it down anyway. Sure enough, with a cleaning rod out came the bullet WITH an unburnt sticky ball of powder charge.

Be safe everyone, Sammy
Old 03-05-2009, 11:09 AM

So there you have it, folks. Store your .22 ammo in vacuum sealed bags with a bit of dessicant in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm View Post
So there you have it, folks. Store your .22 ammo in vacuum sealed bags with a bit of dessicant in there!
I prefer to shoot it long before it goes bad.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:38 PM

I only use fresh ammo for self defense but have some old .22 rimfire that is 30 plus years old.
Range ammo is all it is for. I have had miss-fires but never had a squib.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your dad.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 AM

Time for me to get out those old 5 lb. tins of Remington .22s.

I hate squibs. That's one of the scariest things about shooting. I had one in a .45. I noticed it when it happened;and cleared it;but,...

Also,it was my own reload.