Favorite 1911 defense load in 45acp? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 01:08 PM

Favorite 1911 defense load in 45acp?

Been reading that the new Federal HST may have some feeding problems in 1911 platforms. Any 1911 owners (specifically) come across this?

As a second choice, do you 1911 guys prefer the classic Federal Hydra-shok or Winchester Ranger SXT or Remington Golden Saber or other 230 grain NON +P?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:11 PM

I use the 230gr Hydra-Shoks with no problems whatsoever. Great ammo!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM

HST or Hydra-shoks?

Just to make sure...you run the classic Hydra-shoks and not the new HST?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 PM

I've found the HST is just too hot for both the 1911 and my Smith 4506. The Classic Hydra-Shoks on the other hand is a great load and what I prefer if limited to 230 gr.

What I REALLY like is the 200 gr XTP at +P vel. Best combination of weight and vel and bullet construction.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM

What I REALLY like is the 200 gr XTP at +P vel. Best combination of weight and vel and bullet construction.[/QUOTE]

Is that Hornady?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 PM

I've ran HST 230+p through my gold cup just fine. Yes, it's hot.

I'm running an 18lb recoil spring.

It was also my load of choice in my kimber ultra. It ran flawlessly for 150rds through it.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM

230 gr Gold Dot works for me.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:57 PM

Hornaday 230 +p
Federal 230 +p HST
Cor-Bon 230 +p

All of these loads work well in my Colts and Ed Browns.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:59 PM

Winchester Ranger SXT 45?

I may have found some 230gr non+P Winchester Ranger. How is this bullet shape and effectiveness (assuming it will feed reliably in MY gun)? In other words, is this a good, proven "stopper" like the Federal Hydra-shok?
Old 03-02-2009, 03:26 PM

Actually, the still popular Hydra Shock is old generation. It has been found to plug up easily, which inhibits expansion. I carried it for years until the muzzle flash (.45/230) started bothering me. Never had a feeding pb with it, though, and I'm quite sure it would "do the job".
Now the Ranger is one of the top 3 defensive loads, and it usually feeds very well, too (just look at its rounded profile). I've had too hard a time finding it, though (waiting lists, high prices, etc.).
Another reliable feeder is the Golden Saber.
I haven't tested my HST's yet (waiting to do some work on my pistol first), but on paper, it's my favorite round. If it feeds well, I'll carry that.

Last edited by 11,43mm; 03-02-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old 03-02-2009, 04:20 PM

I really envy you guys.

We cant get any guns, parts or ammo if its shipped from the u.s.

I wish i had the money back then to stock up on good ammo before that prohibition took place.

If your budget allows it always stock up guys, you never know.

Nowadays, if you want decent ammo here you have to run around town looking for a gun shop that has at least some decent ammo, or find a buddy who is willing to part with his old ammo (almost impossible).
Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chifus View Post
I really envy you guys.

We cant get any guns, parts or ammo if its shipped from the u.s.

I wish i had the money back then to stock up on good ammo before that prohibition took place.

If your budget allows it always stock up guys, you never know.

Nowadays, if you want decent ammo here you have to run around town looking for a gun shop that has at least some decent ammo, or find a buddy who is willing to part with his old ammo (almost impossible).
Why the prohibition on US made guns, parts and ammo?

A 1911 in any condition except loaded and cocked & locked is a nice paperweight.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberCarrier View Post
Why the prohibition on US made guns, parts and ammo?
Oh, my country had a weapons embargo (they call it a prohibition/restriction, but technically its an embargo) since the 1980's (dictator back then, genocide issues). It used to be only for military weapons (tanks, artillery, bombs, etc...).

Our civil war ended in 1996, but about 4-5 years ago the "restriction" was expanded to guns and ammo.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 AM

Currently using 230 grain Gold Dots in my XD. But to be honest, I'm good with HST's, Golden Sabers, SXT's, DPX, XTP etc.

I actually prefer 185 grain Golden Saber +p's but they didn't have any. So no biggie, I bought the Gold Dots which are excellent.

Seriously, if it's .45 ACP then it just plain "works". I just prefer more horsepower.
"You see, Doctor, God didn't kill that little girl. Fate didn't butcher her and destiny didn't feed her to those dogs. If God saw what any of us did that night he didn't seem to mind. From then on I knew... God doesn't make the world this way. We do."

-Rorschach
Old 03-03-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
What I REALLY like is the 200 gr XTP at +P vel. Best combination of weight and vel and bullet construction.
Is that Hornady?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Hornady is the manufacturer of the XTP.
"You see, Doctor, God didn't kill that little girl. Fate didn't butcher her and destiny didn't feed her to those dogs. If God saw what any of us did that night he didn't seem to mind. From then on I knew... God doesn't make the world this way. We do."

-Rorschach
Old 03-03-2009, 12:25 AM

I use 230 grain XTP's for everything (CCW and hunting)...but if I were buying bullets strictly for CCW I'd get Gold Dots.

HST's are damn good bullets if they feed in your particular pistol...but they are too hard to find for my taste.

XTP's are penetrating bullets...expanded or not, the drive deep. In my experience though they usually expand to about .650" or so.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
---------------------------------------------------------
http://1911auto.org
Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 AM

While my "bedside" .45 has old 200g Silvertips, my choice for carry or hunting would have to be... a home cast 230g TC.

If it can stop a charging pig, I'm pretty certain it can stop a thin skinned 2 legged predator.

It hasn't been shown that home loads ever caused problems in JUSTIFIED self defense shootings. I don't look for trouble and I hope to never find it, but should it happen, I'll use what I train with.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:58 AM

I really liked the Hornady 230gr TAP but they don't make it anymore.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:12 AM

I've used 185 gr. Winchester silver tips and 165 gr. Federal hydrashock.
But now I'm carrying 145 gr. Glazer safety slugs and 165 gr. Corbon pow'r ball.

I tried 230 gr. Winchester h.p. and found them to produce to much recoil for accurate double taps and fast fallow up shots in practice.

I tend to preffer lighter, lower recoiling ammo for self deffense.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 AM

Federal HST and Ranger t-series RA45T (not civilian SXT) have very similar ballistics and expand consistently through all types of barriers.

They're both hard to get right now, but I found a few boxes of Ranger t-series and have a backorder on HST.

I've fired 100 to 200 rounds of each through my 1911's without a single problem. I have HST +P, but the standard pressure is on order, which is what I prefer. I am very happy with the t-series also.

Hydra-Shoks don't hold up against some of the newer designs and have problems with some 1911's. Beat the heck out of my Kimber CDP's feedramp too.

Expansion on the HST and t-series is near an inch even through denim and winter clothing. Hydra-Shoks expand to about .75 and jam up on denim in some tests.

Jonathan
Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post
It hasn't been shown that home loads ever caused problems in JUSTIFIED self defense shootings.
But I read on the internet that handloaded ammo makes you automatically guilty and they revoke your citizenship, and put implants into your brain for carrying or using it in self defense, and then you have to pay reparations to the descendants of whoever was shot for 5 generations...
Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1911 View Post
I've used 185 gr. Winchester silver tips and 165 gr. Federal hydrashock.
But now I'm carrying 145 gr. Glazer safety slugs and 165 gr. Corbon pow'r ball.

I tried 230 gr. Winchester h.p. and found them to produce to much recoil for accurate double taps and fast fallow up shots in practice.

I tend to preffer lighter, lower recoiling ammo for self deffense.
Standard velocity 230 gr has too much recoil?

To the OP:
I use Winchester Ranger T +P 230 gr. I never thought of myself as particularly recoil resistant but I have no trouble with double taps and fast follow up shots.

If a standard 230 gr has too much recoil, perhaps a 9mm would be a better choice?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 PM

Been using 200 grn Speer Gold Dots. Its a great compromise to heavy bullet and high velocity....almost like a psuedo 10mm round. Its moving at 1030 fps. drops to about 960 fps at 50 yards.
NRA Life Member
Old 03-03-2009, 12:36 PM

I'm another big fan of the Winchester Ranger T-series and the HST both. I used to carry Ranger as it was fairly available through a variety of online sources and was cheap ($25/box of 50 rounds), had great ballistics, and from what I'd read was the de facto standard in defense/duty loads. Nowadays, though, Winchester seems to have slowed production to a trickle, and suppliers have a hard time getting it, so when you CAN get it, the prices are steadily increasing. Ammunitiontogo.com has some in stock right now (+P T-series and the Bonded series) at $49.95/box of 50.

HST is very similar in performance to the T-series (there's a lot of back and forth on the testing that ATK/Federal did at sponsored testing events with law enforcement agencies, but Doc Roberts has done a variety of tests and has rated it to be at least as good as the T-series ammo), and it seems to be usually more available than the winchester ammo. I can usually lay hands on it locally through a couple of shops and the price is typically around $26/box of 50, making it still a good deal.

Beyond those two, the Barnes X-bullet/Cor Bon DPX solid copper HP ammo is great stuff, though expensive for what you get and where you get it. This also tests very well in the FBI protocol tests done by Doc Roberts, but at its current premium price, may not be appetizing to shoot for practice and functionality testing to make sure it works in your gun. Also, because this ammo really presses the OAL limit for the 1911, I have had setback issues and feeding issues with it in some guns.

Gold Dots and XTP bullets are generally a defacto standard, having a long proven track record for working in a variety of targets and do the job well ballistically. Black Hills, known for making excellent target ammunition, uses the XTP in their hollowpoint loads. Likewise, there are good manufacturers out there loading with the gold dot bullets, besides Speer themselves.

Lastly, you might consider the Winchester PDX1 bullet, their new civilian offering. It's a bonded bullet with a shape and construction very similar to the Gen 2 T-series bullet. The initial tests I've seen have shown it to be fairly good in terms of expansion and penetration, though as of yet no one doing actual qualified FBI protocol tests has put it through the wringer to actually garner hard data on the round. Considering that even Winchester is claiming it to be the same construction and bullet design/load produced for the FBI's contract, it should perform OK in theory.

There're a lot of hollowpoints out there that do a good, solid job, and will serve you well, from the most basic Winchester White Box hollowpoint all the way up to the HST and T-series bullets. What counts more than anything is that the ammo you buy feed reliably in your weapon, and be worthy of the investment to buy enough of it to test feeding and functionality in your weapon to verify that it will perform when you need it to. Also, the best ballistics tests and internet brouhaha mean nothing in the real world if you don't also plan to practice with your weapon to verify you can shoot well enough when it counts under stress, and you have cultivated the mindset of being willing to avoid problems, and act accordingly if you cannot avoid them.

Even the best "magic bullet" in the world won't help you if you miss, and even lowly FMJ in .45, if applied steadily and plentifully to the offending mass will do damage.

Last edited by DeltaKilo; 03-03-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 PM

Winchester Ranger SXT 45

I'm going to try these as i found some for sale.