My cleaning schedule... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 02:29 AM

My cleaning schedule...

... Is it too insane? After i shoot i field strip and wipe the gun bone dry. I coat the barrel in CLP and let it sit while i scrub the frame and slide Assembly. I can easily spend an hour getting them both clean as well as the slide stop.

Then i wipe out the barrel and give it a very light coat of CLP.

Then i douse the contact surfaces in CLP and reassemble the gun. I Rack the slide a bunch to get the excess oil out and wipe it off and let the gun sit for 24 hours. When i get home from work the next day i break it down, scrub it again and then oil it up moderately with CLP and its ready to go boom.

Note im still breaking this gun in.

Anyone else as anal as i am about cleaning or am i not trying hard enough
Old 02-20-2009, 04:55 AM

You are only 21....and have the time. That'll change.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 AM

ADC has a good point. Age and circumstance will change your habits. I know it has mine.

You certainly are doing good things to keep you weapon going. However, consider the Wilson Combat advice on breaking in a new weapon - don't clean it until 500 rounds have been fired. I take this advice to heart, but I cheat by lubing it up just a little toward the end of break-in. Then I take the weapon apart and do a thorough cleaning.

Following break-in, I still do not clean after every firing, depending on the number of rounds I put through the weapon. If I go to the range with two or three guns and only put 50 through each, I will snake the bore, do a little wipe-down and brush-out, a drop of lube here and there, and back into service. To this point I have not experienced any failures to feed or fire with this regimen.

Are there any other opinions out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 AM

It may be a little overkill for function, but if it makes you happy (lets you sleep at night, etc), go for it.

FWIW - when I was 'smoothing in' my Baers (most recently my TRS) I put over 700 rds thru it the first day with nothing more than a few drops of oil and a Bore Snake.

I routinely go 500-1k rds between cleanings, but I shoot 3 x week and have kids and a busy job...

Have fun whatever you do!

Active Duty Community Organizer, Philanthropist

Last edited by USMC 0802; 02-20-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 AM

Opinions on cleaning?
Search is good.

You have 2 camps. One cleans their guns everytime they fire it, no matter how many rounds. Detail clean right down to each part, they want it to look factory new.

Then the other camp, they fire 2-500 rounds, come home, wipe it off and relube. That's my camp. I do a field strip and clean about every 3K when I change the recoil spring.

Everybody has to find out for themselves what gives them the warm fuzzies. But don't make a strident claim that what someone does will get them killed. I've got way too many rounds downrange with my guns without failures of any kind to believe it.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 AM

i think that not cleaning for 500 rounds would make me a nervous wreck!

to each his own though. Ive read somewhere that a lot of the competition shooters break in their guns that way.

Congratulations at making me cringe in horror fellas (not that i trust my 1911 wouldnt function dirty, i just hate a dirty gun!)

I guess my real question is am i hurting it by cleaning it so religiously, or is this going to be an opinion of the two 'camps' listed?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 AM

You read me wrong, I just wipe it off after 500 rds. I don't field strip and clean until 3000 rounds.

You aren't going to hurt it, if done correctly.

It's part of an anal compulsion disorder.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:48 AM

Indeed i did.

But even so... ew I think that if i were to have a Parkerized model and couldn't see the primer so bad it wouldn't bother be so much...

Its like owning a white car... its just so easy to tell when its dirty.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 PM

Sr, if it make you feel better and more secure to clean you guns on your own schedule, then do it dude! Believe me when I say it won't hurt a thing.

But, if you ever get to the point where you can't keep this schedule, your guns will not rot away. I think what many of us are trying to say is that a little benign neglect will not, repeat, not destroy your weapons.

Give it a go on one of your guns. Shoot a hundred rounds and let it go for a week or two. See what happens. Then, take the gun to the range and shoot another 50 or 100. If you do not have have FTF, you have your own answer. If it does not cycle, revert to Program One. Either way, you cannot lose.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:02 AM

hmmm...

I shoot.
I shoot more.
I shoot even more.
I keep shooting.

Sometimes, every so often (okay, not very often) I remember to clean my guns.
But not very often.

Certainly no "cleaning schedule" here.....

Old 02-21-2009, 10:10 AM

I'm not young but i am anal. (about cleaning that is)
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Opinions on cleaning?
Search is good.

You have 2 camps. One cleans their guns everytime they fire it, no matter how many rounds. Detail clean right down to each part, they want it to look factory new.

Then the other camp, they fire 2-500 rounds, come home, wipe it off and relube. That's my camp. I do a field strip and clean about every 3K when I change the recoil spring.

Everybody has to find out for themselves what gives them the warm fuzzies. But don't make a strident claim that what someone does will get them killed. I've got way too many rounds downrange with my guns without failures of any kind to believe it.
I fall into the former camp, but I don't do it for looks, I do it because a firearm is a machine which functions most reliably when clean.

You left out the third camp of fire a it 5000 rounds and never clean it.

Practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect.
-J. G. Hale
Old 02-21-2009, 10:42 AM

I have detail stripped my Remington 1911 several times since shooting it last. Oh yea..I'm never going to shoot it again. But it will get stripped again.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 AM

proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
I fall into the former camp, but I don't do it for looks, I do it because a firearm is a machine which functions most reliably when clean.

You left out the third camp of fire a it 5000 rounds and never clean it.

I am in the "third camp", except maybe more than "5,000".....

And not "never", just "rarely".

Mandated: My guns must function with utter reliability. Must. That they (contuinue to) do so after firing thousands of rds 'unclean' is a testament to their engineeering and/or pistolsmithing.
But they do.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
I am in the "third camp", except maybe more than "5,000".....

And not "never", just "rarely".

Mandated: My guns must function with utter reliability. Must. That they (contuinue to) do so after firing thousands of rds 'unclean' is a testament to their engineeering and/or pistolsmithing.
But they do.

And now i will NEVER own a Glock :P

I shot 250 through it yesterday and i think ill let it go for another 250 just to see.

So far ive only had 3 FTE's and 2 caused a stovepipe. Both were toword the end of the 250 round pack.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:51 PM

Yep. I do not clean after every session(like my Dad taught me,sorry Pop);but,I don't shoot as much as a lot of you guys. 100 rnds/session is about my max.

I do keep fresh lube on everything. So,I was wondering about Wilson Combat's
"500 rnds before cleaning" . That doesn't mean "no-lube" in 500 rnds,right?

I've been using Weapon Shield for about 6 months. Decided to use ONLY WS for C L and P. Part of my "experiment" with WS involves NOT using brass brushes on the bore. I only shoot plated bullets.

I have "seasoned" my 1911 in WS. Sorta like seasoning a cast-iron skillet. Get gun hot/apply WS/let it set/apply more heat...

So far,the WS works well at CLP. I like just using one product. I mostly shoot 4.25",3.5" and 3" 1911s.

But,now I have a full-size, S&W1911. I'll probably field strip it pretty often after shooting, at first. I like to see where things are rubbing,just to check it out. Should be easy to see on the all blued-steel gun.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:20 PM

I think overcleaning is good it teaches you to respect the gun which HOPEFULLY will keep you/and others safe
Old 02-21-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmt22 View Post
I think overcleaning is good it teaches you to respect the gun which HOPEFULLY will keep you/and others safe
I think thats part of it... respecting my gun. While she CAN run dirty, why should she have to if ive got the time to make her spotless?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:30 PM

Get a small compressor... speeds things up considerably!

Always carry ~ Never tell!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:20 PM

I do a complete cleaning after every shooting, and if those rare times come up where I do not shoot for a while. I will strip them and clean them also. but I actually enjoy stripping them down and cleaning them.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:37 PM

All weapons ready for inspection sir! 47+ years of keeping my guns spotless...no reason to change now. I just was admiring my first shotgun I got when I was 8 or 9, a Stevens single shot 20 guage. It's still the most beautiful shotgun ever produced (in my eyes, that is). I would venture a guess that I have cleaned it 1000 times. It shows the love.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:48 AM

After over 45 years of shooting, I still enjoy cleaning my guns. I field strip and do a thorough job of cleaning after every shooting event, spending about an hour on each firearm.

I certainly respect those that don't, but it just makes me feel better.
I assume that for some, shooting is what they take seriously and cleaning, only as necessary, is how they look at it.

I enjoy the time I spend inspecting and cleaning them. There have been occasions, over the years, that I didn't get a gun cleaned soon after I shot it. I didn't lose sleep, but it was in the back of my mind until I got it done (am I anal too?).

If your cleaning process is something you do because you enjoy it, keep it up.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC 0802 View Post
It may be a little overkill for function, but if it makes you happy (lets you sleep at night, etc), go for it.
A little overkill?

The description I saw read like a ritual a person with obsessive compulsive disorder might go through after shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDedosRapidos View Post
After i shoot i field strip and wipe the gun bone dry. I coat the barrel in CLP and let it sit while i scrub the frame and slide Assembly. I can easily spend an hour getting them both clean as well as the slide stop.

Then i wipe out the barrel and give it a very light coat of CLP.

Then i douse the contact surfaces in CLP and reassemble the gun. I Rack the slide a bunch to get the excess oil out and wipe it off and let the gun sit for 24 hours. When i get home from work the next day i break it down, scrub it again and then oil it up moderately with CLP and its ready to go boom.
Emphasis added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDedosRapidos View Post
... Is it too insane?
Bigtime.

I run a boresnake through my gun to make sure there isnt any crap in the chamber or barrel. I wipe off the breach face and the outside and if the inside of the slide looks like its getting too dry I will add a little CLP.

Last edited by Mus; 02-22-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:43 AM

You aren't alone. I spend about an hour and a half cleaning my pistol when I get home. It's strangely relaxing.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 AM

Not sure why you would clean your gun, then repeat the same process a day later on a clean gun?? A therapist would probably tell you that's not necessary.

I clean my gun after each range trip as I never know when that gun will be used again....oily dirty residue usually firms up over time and I would gamble this does not help with function. Just my take on it.

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney