TRP disappointment - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Dhaught Dhaught is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 169
TRP disappointment

A friend bought a new TRP this week and I must say I have been a little disappointed by what I've seen so far for an almost 1500 dollar gun. We disassembled it and cleaned all the grime and metal shavings out of it and had to knock large burrs off of almost every machined surface inside the gun. The barrel lugs and slide lugs have burrs and hang up disengaging and engaging. Anyway after an hour or so deburring, cleaning, and lubing the gun we went to the range for a few boxes of fun.

Spent cases barely clear the top of the gun on ejection and it would jam on a case or stovepipe after every two or three rounds and consistently stovepipe or fail to lock slide at the end of every magazine using the mags supplied with the gun and WWB ammo.

Aside from all the malfunctions and total lack of finish work from the factory the gun seems to be very accurate but we couldn't really even shoot five shot groups without failures. I thought these guns were test fired at the factory before shipping out but I don't see how it could have passed QC when the cases barely clear the top of the slide.

Anyway my griping aside, have many others experienced this kind of product results from springfield lately? Is it common to have to get a brand new gun tuned up or did my friend just get a lemon? I have always heard good things about their guns especially the TRP which is why I pointed my friend in that direction when he was talking about getting a 1911 but now I feel kind of bad for it.
I have been wanting to buy a 1911 myself for a while now but do you really need to spend 2500+ on a 1911 to get one that is set up right and ready to go out of the box or is this just something really rare with springfields?

I know most will recommend sending it back to the factory for warranty work or shooting several hundred rounds through it but it is disappointing to think you spend that much on a gun and have to go through shipping it back or taking it to a local smith and spending more on it to get it working right or fumble through 500 rounds and still have to get it worked on.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 PM
DeltaKilo DeltaKilo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coloma, MI
Posts: 12,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhaught View Post
A friend bought a new TRP this week and I must say I have been a little disappointed by what I've seen so far for an almost 1500 dollar gun. We disassembled it and cleaned all the grime and metal shavings out of it and had to knock large burrs off of almost every machined surface inside the gun. The barrel lugs and slide lugs have burrs and hang up disengaging and engaging. Anyway after an hour or so deburring, cleaning, and lubing the gun we went to the range for a few boxes of fun.

Spent cases barely clear the top of the gun on ejection and it would jam on a case or stovepipe after every two or three rounds and consistently stovepipe or fail to lock slide at the end of every magazine using the mags supplied with the gun and WWB ammo.

Aside from all the malfunctions and total lack of finish work from the factory the gun seems to be very accurate but we couldn't really even shoot five shot groups without failures. I thought these guns were test fired at the factory before shipping out but I don't see how it could have passed QC when the cases barely clear the top of the slide.

Anyway my griping aside, have many others experienced this kind of product results from springfield lately? Is it common to have to get a brand new gun tuned up or did my friend just get a lemon? I have always heard good things about their guns especially the TRP which is why I pointed my friend in that direction when he was talking about getting a 1911 but now I feel kind of bad for it.
I have been wanting to buy a 1911 myself for a while now but do you really need to spend 2500+ on a 1911 to get one that is set up right and ready to go out of the box or is this just something really rare with springfields?

I know most will recommend sending it back to the factory for warranty work or shooting several hundred rounds through it but it is disappointing to think you spend that much on a gun and have to go through shipping it back or taking it to a local smith and spending more on it to get it working right or fumble through 500 rounds and still have to get it worked on.
I've fondled several springfields lately and none of them show any of the issues that you've described, especially related to a pistol that gets most of its hand fitting done here in the states in the same custom shop that builds the Pro. I can only guess that this pistol either slipped by QC or something...there's no excuse that the TRP, by all accounts a high-end semi-custom pistol, should come out of the box with that level of poor workmanship.

Yes, I am going to recommend that you send it back to the factory, along with explaining the situation. This should NOT have happened, but Springfield WILL make it right. They are one of the best in the industry when it comes to standing behind their products, and though you got a pistol that was not finished correctly, I have every confidence that they will correct the issue.

Every company has an off day and sometimes a few of the lemons make it through to the end user. I would give them every opportunity to make it right.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Tx1911 Tx1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 294
re:

Springfield has a lifetime warranty, call them and send it back in. If it is a warranty issue they will take care of it for free. It is very seldom that you see a post like yours on this forum, especially about a TRP. I love mine and was good to go from the very beginning.
__________________
[B][I]Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP SS .45acp
Glock 34 Gen 4
Glock 32 ( w/ 23 barrel )
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
SEMO Shooter SEMO Shooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southeast MO
Posts: 289
I second the notion for sending it to Springfield, but I would consider getting the extractor tuned before I sent it back as that is probably the cause of your mis-feeds. I can understand that you did not care for shavings or unfinished/sharp edges, but I would take a new gun and shoot it BEFORE I started tinkering with it. At least then I would know that it was not misbehaving because of my tinkering.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Dhaught Dhaught is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMO Shooter View Post
I second the notion for sending it to Springfield, but I would consider getting the extractor tuned before I sent it back as that is probably the cause of your mis-feeds. I can understand that you did not care for shavings or unfinished/sharp edges, but I would take a new gun and shoot it BEFORE I started tinkering with it. At least then I would know that it was not misbehaving because of my tinkering.
I never shoot a new gun without at least a quick field strip, clean and lube.
You might be surprised to see what you can find. The TRP definitely needed it. It had quite a bit of grit and several decent sized metal chips inside of it that I wouldn't have wanted to get wedged in the rails or somewhere.
I didn't expect a totally massaged custom pistol but it did look like it was just machined and assembled. There was literally no de-burring done to the internal or external areas of the slide and barrel.

Anyway I think he is going to try several more kinds of ammo in it this weekend to see if the FTE is ammo related or not. If that doesn't solve the problem then it is back to SA I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-19-2009, 10:07 PM
mark2734 mark2734 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 4,897
Definitly shoot it more BEFORE sending it back. After at least 300-400 rounds if your still having issues, yes give them a call.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Hound_va Hound_va is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 168
I believe that Deb has stated before that TRP's are not fitted by the SA custom shop.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-20-2009, 07:57 AM
eljay45 eljay45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: indiana
Posts: 6,416
check your extractor tension before you ship it back. What kind of ammo are you shooting?
__________________
Semper Fi
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Dhaught Dhaught is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 169
My guess is that it's either extractor related or ammo related.
The first ammo throught the gun was wwb 185gr. FMJ.
Will be trying some different 230gr. loads this weekend to see if it fixes the ejection problems. I kind of think maybe the 185gr. wasn't cycling the gun hard enough. Which seems kind of weird to me because I would think it should be able to cycle with 185,200, or 230.

I think if the ammo doesn't fix the problem it will go back to SA. I think anyone that buys a gun expects it to work out of the box.

My other pistols will cycle any load you put in them from +P to subsonic match ammo with no problems and so far no malfunctions in the first 1k rounds.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 AM
eljay45 eljay45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: indiana
Posts: 6,416
I doubt it's the 185gr ammo. If it's your extractor you can tune it yourself faster than you can box it up to be shipped.
__________________
Semper Fi
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-20-2009, 11:28 AM
jeremy45 jeremy45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West TX
Posts: 143
I bought a used TRP that had the same FTE problem. The fit and finish was great on mine but I'd get lots of stovepipes.

I thought it was the extractor myself, at first, but after my smith started looking at it he said the way the breechface was machined the round was sitting too high and passing over the ejector. I should have the gun back Tuesday, he installed and fit an oversized ejector and said test fire went well.
__________________
Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 AM
MSgt Dotson MSgt Dotson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhaught View Post
My guess is that it's either extractor related or ammo related.
The first ammo throught the gun was wwb 185gr. FMJ.
Will be trying some different 230gr. loads this weekend to see if it fixes the ejection problems. I kind of think maybe the 185gr. wasn't cycling the gun hard enough. Which seems kind of weird to me because I would think it should be able to cycle with 185,200, or 230.

.
Most 185 gr FMJs are loaded rather light...

I'd confine initial function testing to WWB or Federal 230 FMJ hardball...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Gary1911A1 Gary1911A1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio for now.
Age: 67
Posts: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay45 View Post
check your extractor tension before you ship it back. What kind of ammo are you shooting?
I believe her, but you could of sure fooled me by my sample of the TRP. I had a hard time justifying ordering a Pro.

This is one of the few lemon TRPs' I have ever heard of. Send it back without touching it any further with a detail letter of your problems after calling Springfield. You may get back a better TRP than mine.

Last edited by Gary1911A1; 02-20-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Spell
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-20-2009, 01:10 PM
DeltaKilo DeltaKilo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coloma, MI
Posts: 12,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound_va View Post
I believe that Deb has stated before that TRP's are not fitted by the SA custom shop.
I've seen some sources that say that they are built in the custom shop, others say they're not. I'm not sure that there's any definitive info either way.

still, they usually are good guns made to exacting standards.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
romoman romoman is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12
I would call them and send it back. I purchased mine in December '08 and it was perfect out of the box. Nothing like anything you described. I would actually say mine is very tight and there are no burrs or anything. Sounds like something is up with the one you received.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 PM
goetztrp goetztrp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: walbridge ohio
Posts: 3,018
Plus one gary1911a1 soon as i seen all of that it would have been on its way back. I thought mine was a pro that got mismarked.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-20-2009, 04:16 PM
GodsGun1911 GodsGun1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhaught View Post
My guess is that it's either extractor related or ammo related.
The first ammo throught the gun was wwb 185gr. FMJ.
Will be trying some different 230gr. loads this weekend to see if it fixes the ejection problems. I kind of think maybe the 185gr. wasn't cycling the gun hard enough. Which seems kind of weird to me because I would think it should be able to cycle with 185,200, or 230.

I think if the ammo doesn't fix the problem it will go back to SA. I think anyone that buys a gun expects it to work out of the box.

My other pistols will cycle any load you put in them from +P to subsonic match ammo with no problems and so far no malfunctions in the first 1k rounds.
Excuse my foul mouth I had a bad day or week.
I'll try to not to get so carried away again

Last edited by GodsGun1911; 02-20-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Sloo50 Sloo50 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chesapeake VA
Age: 44
Posts: 1,058
I can't even read the above post w/ all the vulgar language.........

I agree it stinks to have an expensive firearm fail in any way, but if I were on the other end of a customer service call, and was greeted w/ your level of immaturity, I would ask you to call back when you were on "level ground".

Most of us do not appreciate the foul mouth. Our kids enjoy reading this forum as much as we do, please remember that when posting in the future.

Wes
__________________
COTEP #17
07 CBOB .45, 08 PM9
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
GodsGun1911 GodsGun1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloo50 View Post
I can't even read the above post w/ all the vulgar language.........

I agree it stinks to have an expensive firearm fail in any way, but if I were on the other end of a customer service call, and was greeted w/ your level of immaturity, I would ask you to call back when you were on "level ground".

Most of us do not appreciate the foul mouth. Our kids enjoy reading this forum as much as we do, please remember that when posting in the future.

Wes

Excuse my foul mouth I had a bad day or week.
I'll try to not to get so carried away again OK

For the record I would never call company with
a bad attitude to begin with. I know that will get
you no where. I actually would not do it at all.
You just caught me when I needed to vent &
that is no excuse, I made a huge mistake & I'm
man enough to admit it & say I'm sorry!

Oh & tell your children I'm sorry & I hope they
realize people make mistakes & some will
admit it & apologize.

Last edited by GodsGun1911; 02-20-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-20-2009, 05:16 PM
guy sajer's Avatar
guy sajer guy sajer is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsGun1911 View Post
Excuse my foul mouth I had a bad day or week.
I'll try to not to get so carried away again OK
Thank you for taking care of the clean up .
__________________
Condition Yellow

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Dhaught Dhaught is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 169
Wow, I guess I missed all the expressive language.

Well my friend called yesterday and said he switched to 230gr and shot 150 rounds without a single malfunction. Appearantly it still didn't eject the brass very far so it may need an ejector tune up or a little work to slick up the action as it still has some rough spots cycling the slide and with lug engagement/disengagement.

I'm still a little surprised that it wouldn't shoot 185 grain WWB but it seemed to work ok with Federal 230 gr. I guess with any manufacturer there is a chance that something will slip by QC but I would still have expected more from SA as far as the finish of the parts is concerned. I was under the impression that the TRP's were fitted at SA by the custom shop smith's but I guess not.

I think he is just going to take it to a local smith to have the extractor and action tuned up a little rather than wait on it from SA. The gun is very accurate and the trigger is one of the nicest on a factory gun that I have seen. The biggest problem with all this is that he was buying this gun to give to his dad as a retirement gift this week and didn't really have time to deal with sending it back to the factory since it was supposed to be right to begin with.

Last edited by Dhaught; 02-21-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Jim Davidson Jim Davidson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: IL
Age: 64
Posts: 408
Disappointment?

Send it back- great customer service.

I presently have a lightly customized TRP and it runs just like the previous two I had- perfectly.

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 AM
TheTinMan TheTinMan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,506
IMHO it would be a mistake to have a local smith "tune it up" instead of sending it back to Springfield. I understand the problem with the timing of the generous gift, but think a pistol should last a lifetime. It would be a crying shame if the local smith boogers up a perfectly good 1911.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-22-2009, 02:22 PM
DeltaKilo DeltaKilo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coloma, MI
Posts: 12,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
IMHO it would be a mistake to have a local smith "tune it up" instead of sending it back to Springfield. I understand the problem with the timing of the generous gift, but think a pistol should last a lifetime. It would be a crying shame if the local smith boogers up a perfectly good 1911.
+1 -- Springfield will warranty any parts that fail that haven't been modified. If you take the gun to a local smith for a 'tune up' and he modifies any of the parts, those parts won't be covered any longer. At least to get it functional and running, i would send it back just so the warranty still applies.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-22-2009, 02:25 PM
oak1971 oak1971 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Peoples Rebublic of Wisconsin
Age: 49
Posts: 3,906
"coughtrollcough"
__________________
Harrison-Baer Custom
Dan Wesson Valor (2009) Valor #46 Cotep #184
Springfield TRP 10mm 6" RMR
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved