Cutting back on shooting? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 PM

Cutting back on shooting?

I am wondering with ammo and reloading components getting so hard to find. How many of you guys are finding yourself not shooting as much? How much did you shoot before and how much do you shoot now, that everthings hard to get and money is tight.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington

Last edited by Handgun Guy; 02-15-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:48 PM

Cut Backs

I never shot all that much to begin with.

Now I shoot a lot less.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:02 PM

The range that I prefer to go to is outdoors on a ranch owned by the gentleman that I took my NRA basic pistol course from. . . It's a little hard to get to in the winter anyway so I wouldn't have been shooting a whole lot regardless. Once it warms up a bit more again I expect to be shooting a whole heck of a lot of .22lr. The Wally-worlds around here still seem to have plenty of the Federal 550 round bulk packs (and not a whole lot else ammo wise), and I plan on buying one or two packs a week for a few weeks and stocking up.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 11:11 PM

Strangely, I'm shooting more now than ever

Top Five Reasons Why I Shoot a Bunch...

# 5 - CCW skills are important for me to maintain.

# 4 - I compete and need to keep those skills sharp too.

#3 - I'm an active duty mil guy and shoot with a couple fine gentlemen from work. Oh, and the range is a few miles from where I work... Sometimes I sneak away during lunch.

# 2 - Weapons/shooting is my thing and I need something (IDPA, etc) to focus that energy and maintain my sanity.

And the Number One Reason I Shoot a Bunch:

# 1 - I just like emptying brass so I can reload it again

Active Duty Community Organizer, Philanthropist
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 PM

cutting back

I've cut back some to conserve my reloading supplies until the buying hysteria eases up, even had to buy some blazer when I couldn't find .451 fmj bullets locally. I did buy an airsoft 1911 to fill the practice/shooting bug in between my reduced range visits. It's an amazingly spot-on replica, and some of the small parts can be replaced with the real deal to bring it closer to your weapon config if needed. I'd be surprised if my cost was more than a penny per shot after doing the math, not to mention the fuel savings of an outing to the range.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:02 AM

I've been shooting more than ever also. Part of it is my newly acquired CHL, and the other is I can actually afford to shoot now...I've gotten to the point where my wife and I are financially able to buy a few boxes of ammo every couple weeks without sacrificing our contributions to our savings account.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Administrator

I've noticed the cost of pretty much every recreational activity has spiked dramatically over the past few years. Ski lift tickets are almost $60, movie tickets are pushing $10, and both ammo and range fees are through the roof as we all well know. I may have to dust off the .22s in order to keep my skills honed, because .45 ammo is just way too prohibitive to keep burning up.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:48 AM

I just got into IDPA so I'm shooting as much or more than ever. I did just get a 22 thats actually fun to shoot (kimber rimfire target), so most non-competion shooting is with that. It keeps me sharp...and I don't have to worry about picking up the brass in the snow
Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 AM

I shoot now more than ever.

I figure I have to get as much in as possible before all my rights are gone. That said, I have a minimum number of rounds that I keep at home and only shoot what I buy on the spot (usually bringing more home than I left with if I found ammo).
Old 02-16-2009, 07:56 AM

just after christmas my shooting greatlyincreased due to Santa leaving a kimber under the tree. But once I had spent the barest minimum of time with the gun to make sure it was reliable, I have all but parked all my shooting.

I haven't gone out and bought hoards, just bought what I normally would have shot (maybe couple hundred rounds) and put em in the cans rather than blowing through them.

I really enjoy range time and I really want to continue to improve my skills, right now, can't even find a box of 22s at wally..so we've all been hunkerin down around these parts.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

I, and several of the guys I shoot with, have trimmed back the amount of ammo we send downrange. A few years ago, with bullets @ $40/K, primers at $50/5K, and powder at $75 per 8# jug, we were shooting 20K rounds per year of CF handgun. With component prices the way they are today, we've cut back to about 10K. Due to price increases in the cost of targets, we've been forced to raise our monthly match fee from $15 to $20. The cost of shooting is definitely going up. But, I'll bet it's still cheaper than golf.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:33 AM

Now it is 1 box 45s, 1or2 box 9mm. 22Lr still the best deal so I can still shoot 500-550 without breaking the bank. Sadly only about 1 outing a month.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumorsOFsurF View Post
I've been shooting more than ever also. Part of it is my newly acquired CHL, and the other is I can actually afford to shoot now...I've gotten to the point where my wife and I are financially able to buy a few boxes of ammo every couple weeks without sacrificing our contributions to our savings account.
Savings acccount, what is that? Seriously though, I was not shooting for a few years, but the last couple of months I started to shoot more. I plan to shoot more this year than the past three years. I had other hobbies and now I am turning back to my roots, which is shooting and gun collecting. I hope ammo prices recover in the next few months, otherwise, I will not be shooting that much or until my current ammo supply runs out.
“The Unexamined Life is Not Worth Living” Socrates; Socrates is a Man, All Men Are Mortal, Socrates is Mortal. " A Great Civilization is Not Conquered From Without Until it Has Destroyed itself From Within" W. Durant
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 AM

I have cut back some. I used to practically live at the range, but now I go twice a month.
1911 lefties who don't use ambi-safeties - Member #1
Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM

My wife and I are members of a local shooting club and we go shooting about as often as before.

But we shoot slower and use a little less ammo. And actually, slowing down has helped our shooting skills quite a bit.

During the summer I started really stockpiling ammo when it became obvious that Mr. Obama was going to get the Democratic nomination.

Each time we go to the range, I'll pick up twice as much ammo as we plan to shoot and put the rest into my cache.

General George S. Patton

Please Join the NRA -- Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights.!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 PM

since 9mm ammo is about half the cost of 45acp....i might consider shooting my glock23(9mm conversion) a little more often from now on.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:18 PM

Since I got laid off the wife and I "splurge" once a month and shoot a IPSC match.
We we're doing three to four matches a month.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:29 PM

Unfortunatly, I have cut down on shooting lately. It would help if I hadn't purchased two guns almost back to back but still. With ammo prices going up (ilogicaly high!) and tips going down the ****ter - big time, my expendible income has decreased dramaticly. I used to go shooting 3 times a month, minimum, now I go about once a month. It sucks! I make those sessions count though. I also practice my draws a lot and dry firing which really helps, more than I thought it would - so when I hit the range the only thing that's different is having the gun bouce back in my hands. Same feel (aside from weight) and sight picture. I have actualy gotten a bit better. I might be getting a bit of cash soon and start reloading so that might change in a while. If anything I have been focusing on extra parts and mags. Can't remember why.....

Dan Wesson CBOB, Hk45, Hk P30, S&W 442, S&W 27-2 3.5", S&W 629-4 3", 686-6+ 3", WASR 10, BCM Mid Length build, PTR-91KF, Remington 870 Express, Remington 700PSS
Old 02-16-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
since 9mm ammo is about half the cost of 45acp....i might consider shooting my glock23(9mm conversion) a little more often from now on.
Wise move, my GLOCK 32 recently turned into a G19, funny how that works. I would rather be shooting my Kimber though

Dan Wesson CBOB, Hk45, Hk P30, S&W 442, S&W 27-2 3.5", S&W 629-4 3", 686-6+ 3", WASR 10, BCM Mid Length build, PTR-91KF, Remington 870 Express, Remington 700PSS
Old 02-16-2009, 02:42 PM

I noticed alot of people are going to 22 ammo. I think I may dust off the rifle and keep in pratice with a 22.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
Old 02-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopbang View Post
Wise move, my GLOCK 32 recently turned into a G19, funny how that works. I would rather be shooting my Kimber though

i agreed...i enjoy shooting my Kimber the most.

regarding the magical Glock 9mm conversion...i'm just as fascinated as you are. That glock external extractor is the soul of the pistol.... 9mm and .40 are two different cartridge if you look close enough.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handgun Guy View Post
I noticed alot of people are going to 22 ammo. I think I may dust off the rifle and keep in pratice with a 22.
might as well shoot a 1000fps pellet gun
Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Actaully shooting more this year than the last 6.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:14 PM

I'm shooting less just because my wife and I had a kid last year and time is a rare commodity. Ammo prices at my range have held steady for the past year and a half though, still just about $19 for a box of .45ACP.

The .22 is a good idea, especially if you have a conversion for your 1911. Same frame, same trigger, just a different slide group. Plus, it is a lot of fun to be able to blow through 200-300 rounds for the same price you'd pay for 50.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:13 PM

I shoot a lot more .22 than centerfire but still maintain something of an edge. The .22 conversion units for the 1911 and the CZ75 help a lot. I even have a .22 unit for the Makarov.