How does a parkerized finish hold up? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 08:48 AM

How does a parkerized finish hold up?

Just ordered my first parkerized gun, a RIA Compact Tactical and being I have no experience with the finish, was wondering how long the nice looking finish will last. Would it better to use a leather or a plastic holster like a Fobus?

What is the difference between parkerized and bluing....and which is more durable?

I owned a Bul M-5 and it came with a dark finish but I honestly don't know what kind of finish it was. All I know is I owned for just a few months before seeing holster wear on the slide. Sent the slide off to Tripp for his Cobrachrome.

Thanks in advance for any info!

EDIT* Almost forgot that the description of my gun said is was "Dura Coat". It is NIB and the outfit selling them has quite a few on auction (Gunsamerica). When I asked the seller about the coating he could not confirm the dura coat claim....yet he is a one man show and had to have written the description himself. The pics of the guns do seem to be quite darker than some of the other RIA on auction. Is it possible that RIA made some Dura Coat guns for a certain distributor or something?

Dan Wesson CBOB
Detonics USA Service Master Compact
Detonics USA Combat Master

Last edited by fugedaboudit; 02-15-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:10 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerize

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel)

The Military generally has Parked weapons. The coating holds in a little oil helping protect the gun. Bluing is prettier when done right IMO.

Any coating/treatment wears and Parkerizing is not the "best" out there, but it's pretty good.

Edit: Leather will be easier on the finish.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:41 AM

My parkerized 1911 isn't very old, but sees a LOT of draws from my Serpa holster (IDPA, USPSA, practice, etc.). I also CCW it daily in an IWB leather holster. It has yet to show any wear. Seems like a durable finish to me. I won't argue, however, that a well-blued gun is about as pretty as it gets.
1911 lefties who don't use ambi-safeties - Member #1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 AM

To me, parkerizing really doesn't look good at all, but it seems to be pretty tough. I have a WW 2 vintage HiPower with it, and it's still pretty much intact.
Marty
Old 02-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Bluing is an oxidized finish created by a solution of hot salts, and is essentially a controlled form of rust. Parkerizing is a boiled solution of phosphate that coats the surface. Parkerizing is more corrosion-resistant because the phosphate will soak up oil and protect the metal. If left bone-dry it is just as prone to harmful corrosion as bluing. With both bluing and Parkerizing the finish can either be attractive or ugly, depending on the surface prep of the metal and how well the solution is prepared. Neither are especially wear-resistant, especially if the weapon is repeatedly drawn from a tight holster.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the replies

This is the ad for the gun:

NIB ARMSCOR ROCK ISLAND 1911 .45acp TACTICAL 8rd DURA COAT 51429 >> FREE SHIPPING >>

Here is a pic:

Anyway to tell if its parkerized or dura-coated from the pic? Looks pretty black to me, I always thought parkerizing produced a lighter charcoal grey color?

Dan Wesson CBOB
Detonics USA Service Master Compact
Detonics USA Combat Master
Old 02-15-2009, 12:19 PM

It looks pretty matte, my guess would be that it's park'd.

I'm a huge fan of park'd guns and have found that the color will vary with the type of steel used. You will see more holster wear from a park'd gun than you will with a coated gun.

I've seen everything from a rich dark black, to light grey.

I had an Ishapore Enfield park'd a few years ago and it came out gorgeous.

SASS #43746, R.O. I/II
NRA Life Member
Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 PM

Yeah, it's difficult to tell from the picture, but that looks parkerized.
1911 lefties who don't use ambi-safeties - Member #1
Old 02-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Dura-Coat is a sprayed on epoxy finish IIRC, not Parkerizing.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:58 PM

1. Not "pretty"
2. Very functional ( holds oil very well )
3. In my experience, not very durable ( see #1 )
Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 PM

Parkerizing is a great finish IF you understand and accept it for what it is.

Parkerizing is a very porous finish that is designed to soak-up and hold oil. This prevents rust and corrosion, thus protecting the metal.

Parkerizing is not a very durable finish and will show holster wear rather quickly compared to other finishes, especially if using a kydex/plastic holster.

Parkerizing will also do absolutely nothing for you if you do not apply a light coat of oil after cleaning.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:07 PM

I haven't noticed any wear on my CDP and I use a Serpa. I do keep the frame oiled though. Hmm maybe the Kimbers aren't parked. Looks like it to me though.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 PM

I like the parkerized finish because the first 1911s I had any dealings with were Gov. issue. But it's not the most durable finnish and would rather have one of the less glossy sprayed on finishes. I still like looks the dull gray matt look of parkerize but prefer ArmoryKote.
Billy
Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Pretty well

This Springfield is my ccw and is close to 9K rounds; I practice with it almost daily. Kydex is kind of harsh on parkerizing, but this is not a safe queen.

Last edited by R_CRUZ; 02-16-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: to add the last picture
Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 AM

wear vs wear

There is the 'wear' from holstering, and there is the (actual) 'wear' of the machine in operation.
The first is of no concern (to me), but mechanical wear is.

So I have (so far) found that www.robarguns.com proprietary NP3 finish alleviates THAT concern.

I mean, if one shoots enough for 'wear' to matter....

Parkerizing is simply the cheapest way to get the gun out the factory door.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 AM

How well it lasts is directly proportional with how well you keep it oiled. The more oil park has the better it takes abuse. Of course you don't want it dripping with oil, but keeping a good coat on will help a lot. Get conservative and you will see it coming off pretty quick.