What is wrong with CheaperThanDirt.com? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 PM

What is wrong with CheaperThanDirt.com?

I know this is off-topic for the forum but bear with me, this is the only part of this forum I ever participate in and I need some help from somebody who may have had this same problem.

I was browsing that website the other day, and I added an item or two to the "shopping cart" - but I never finalized the order. Yet somehow I have two charges for $34.54 on my credit/debit card from them, separated by four hours on February 3rd. You cannot login to the website either, and I am very computer literate so I know for a fact it's not a problem on my end. Whenever you try to log in, it sends you back to the front page and has a spot where it says "Hello, (your name)!" - but the "Login" tab is still there. you try and track an order and it goes to the login page. Yet again, you log in and it immediately takes you back to the default page and still does not log you in. I know I'm not putting in the wrong password either. I have had my password e-mailed to me just to be sure and I am entering it exactly as it looks in the e-mail, case-sensitive and all.

I called the customer service number and the woman told me that they have no control over the website and she has no idea why my card would've been charged twice like that. I am getting pissed. The two charges are "pending" on my card, but if they actually come off? The Better Business Bureau will be receiving a very angry call from me.

Oh yeah, I also never got any e-mail from them about anything I may have ordered, which tells me that I ordered nothing from them.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:38 PM

They have gone way downhill. Plus there prices are not competitive anymore.
Dan Wesson 10mm CBOB, .45 Pointman Guardian Duce, .45 Patriot CCO. Dan Wesson 744 VH .44 6". Fusion 10mm Longslide XM-10 Tactical Hunter. Glock 19c, Browning Buckmark, S&W 686 .357 4", S&W 629 .44mag 8 3/8". Uberti Cattleman .45LC. Assorted long guns.
COTEP #9
http://www.1911auto.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=24
Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 PM

thanks for the heads up....i ordered from Brownells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 PM

I've never had a problem with them. The last time I ordered anything from them was probably 2 months ago when their ammo was somewhat cheaper than other sites.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:52 PM

Call up your back/card company and contest the charges right away. Don't let them get your money over some bs.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 PM

I hear that alot recently about CTD, however, I have had nothing but good experiences with them. I've been ordering from them for about 8 yrs and have never had a problem. I currently have an order inbound for two Bianchi Accumold holsters 7001 model for my RIA Tactical and my Taurus PT92. The total was $58.87 shipped, which is $29.44 per holster shipped. That is the cheapest I can find them anywhere locally or online.

Not saying they're perfect by anymeans, just I've always had good dealings with them.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 AM

I dumped CTD some time ago based on customer service quality alone. I've since started using brownells and natchez with much better results, and faster shipping to boot. CTD prices and service have not only gone downhill, but lately alot of their offerings are imported junk. I'm not saying imports are bad (even though I prefer to buy made in the USA), but if I'm buying imported the quality better be there, and in most cases it ain't. Never did get the "free gift" with my club membership either.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 AM

Last edited by Smedley; 02-06-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley View Post
*** indeed!
I bought a new PC from Circuit City on 12-23-08.
They've since announced they're closing all their stores.
Then today I get a postal letter from Circuit city offering me an extended CC warranty for $280.00 bucks on my brand new PC?!?!?!
What good is an extended warranty from CC if they no longer exist???
I think I'll be contacting my States AG's office on this one.
Hold on to your wallets folks, there's wolves in the hen house.................

Most extended warranties are offered through third-party vendors.

And to the OP...regardless...this NEEDS to be in the General forum.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 02-06-2009, 01:05 AM

Last edited by Smedley; 02-06-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 AM

I used to use CTD alot, even joined their discount club. But, I found out as mentioned above that their customer service sucks. The other thing I don't like about them is they ship via FedEx only.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:36 PM

BTW, got my holsters two days earlier than scheduled.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglepuss View Post
They have gone way downhill. Plus there prices are not competitive anymore.
As far as their prices I could not agree more! Cheaper than Expensive is what I call them now. When Dick's Sporting Goods and Wally World have considerably lower prices on some ammo and I am conservative with the word considerably. However, CTD still has some deals, but one has to research more than they use to.
“The Unexamined Life is Not Worth Living” Socrates; Socrates is a Man, All Men Are Mortal, Socrates is Mortal. " A Great Civilization is Not Conquered From Without Until it Has Destroyed itself From Within" W. Durant