taurus 1911 grip question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 AM

taurus 1911 grip question

I'm new to the site, recently purchased a new Taurus pt1911 and I want to replace the grips with something more my style, I've done a little research, but still don't know a whole lot about the 1911 in general. my question is will any standard 1911 grip work with the Taurus model, or am I required to purchase a set specifically for my application? and are most parts for the 1911 interchangeable or how does all that work I.E. magazines, trigger assemblies and what not. Any help, and any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 12-20-2008, 08:33 AM

1911 parts

True 1911 pistols are a standard design and can have parts interchanged. The taurus is a true 1911 and therefore any standard 1911 grips will work on your gun. Triggers and some other small parts may require some fitting. This means that the parts may need some minor honing here and there to make them fit perfectly. This is because some parts, like triggers, are purposely made oversize so that you can adjust them for your specific pistol as there is some level of variation in tolerances in the manufacture of 1911 pistols. Even grips can sometimes need a little fitting here and there, which was the case with some carbon grips I bought which were too high on the left side of the pistol and interfered with my ambi safety. Some minor file work and I was back in business.

Last edited by radiotec117; 12-20-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-20-2008, 09:58 AM

Yep, any 1911 grips will fit your gun. I make 1911 grips.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their 'constitutional' right of amending it or their 'revolutionary' right to dismember or overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM

Normal grips will fit, but when I bought my wood grips for my Taurus PT1911 from Sarge, he reported that the flat area is 1/8" wider than normal 1911s. In effect he was able to make a grip that spanned the total flat distance for the PT1911. You can use any normal grips for the PT1911, but there will be that gap. I don't want to make this sound like an advertisement, but your other option is to contact Sarge about some Taurus specific gear.

check this out for photo examples
Old 12-20-2008, 10:17 PM

thank you for all the help.