Weird 1911 question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 06:46 PM

Weird 1911 question

I have a Taurus PT1911 (no bashing please) that, apparently, was in the "good" production batch as I've really had no problems with. I'm having a custom grip maker making me some real nice dark curly Hawaiian Koa grips.

The question with this gun is that the hex cap screws for the grip on either side of the gun are different size. That is a different size hex wrench is required for each side in order to take off the grips. Is this common with all 1911s straight from the manufacturer or just Taurus's stupid thing? I want to get new cap screws for the new grips that are the same size.

If you want to know the exact sizes required, I can get them quickly, after all I was a machinist for 4 years.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-31-2008, 06:52 PM

Personally I have never heard of a gun needing or having different size screws, etc for each side. You may need to get new bushings also if they are different. Pretty weird IMO!
Old 10-31-2008, 06:54 PM

No they should be the same size. You can get replacements at many gun stores or from Midway or Brownells or Wilson Combat or Ed Brown...etcetera. Personally I like slotted screws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 PM

Taurus makes good guns, like all they have lemons....

Anyhow that is not normal from what I understand, and mine (springer) has them the same size. I know ed brown and other sells the grip screw mounts. I guess replace those and get new grip skrews and you should be good to go...that is the mount holes or what ever they are called are the same size.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:58 PM

Sounds like they stripped out the bushings on one side, then sold it with oversized ones. Nice QC!
Both sizes are available thru Brownells.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:59 PM

(jogged memory fades)

I believe I've heard of this specific 'issue' before with the Taurus....but I cannot recall the resolution.

Sorry, no help (yet; it might come to me....)

Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 PM

Are the threads a different size or just the hex wrench? Even if the bushing was oversize I'd think the screw threads would be the same. I'm thinking your referring to the socket size, which is weird enough. Am I missing something here?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:01 PM

Don't bash yourself for owning a Taurus. They are good pistols as far as I can see. I have handled them at the SHOT show and in dealer's cases and have not found one that I thought would not be worth every penny of the asking price. I know several people who own them and are very happy with the purchase. I have some expensive custom pistols that do the same exact thing the PT 1911 does.

To address the grip screw issue. It is unusual for the screws to be mismatched, but it happens. I have several pistols from the same manufacture and some of the parts are different on them. I would think it would be easy for something, like you experienced, to happen.

Brownell's sells almost any part that you need for your 1911.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
Are the threads a different size or just the hex wrench? Even if the bushing was oversize I'd think the screw threads would be the same. I'm thinking your referring to the socket size, which is weird enough. Am I missing something here?
I though some other people were getting this impressions also. The threads are the same size but the hex size is different.

Read:
Quote:
That is a different size hex wrench is required for each side in order to take off the grips
I wanted to say that the straight manufactured Taurus 1911, there are no bushings, the grip mounting holes are the same size as the thread studs "glued" to the gun.

Same thread, different hex.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 AM

Just for my future knowledge, there are no grip screw bushings in a Taurus? The "glued" reference, were you referring to loctite some people use on the threads of bushings? I just want to know specifically, since at least one brand glues an important part in the frame. Thanks,
Parts
Old 11-01-2008, 11:34 AM

While that is bizarre, the std. Allen wrench size is 3/32" and Taurus does use the std. bushing common to std. 1911s. Simply replace them!

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...0GRIP%20SCREWS

LOG

Old 11-01-2008, 02:25 PM

Alright, heres some more. I think what you've been calling a bushing, I'm been calling a mounting post. Eh, I've seen people in the shop get in naming arguments about less

With screws removed

Heres pics of the lock tight or adhesive

Thats the evidence, what do you all think?
Old 11-01-2008, 02:34 PM

You should contact Taurus and ask them to send you some all matching grip screws. If you bought the gun new, then they have a responsibility to please you. Different size heads...that's just screwy!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 03:27 PM

Those "nubs" are properly called Grip Screw Bushings. Yours have definately been secured with loctite, very sloppily I might add.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
Those "nubs" are properly called Grip Screw Bushings. Yours have definately been secured with loctite, very sloppily I might add.
Thank AZ, I'm going to be putting new screws on soon, so all of this will become a non issue soon. I was just perplexed by my whole situation.